|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Retrogamers Paradise (DOSbox, WinUAE, SNES9X, …)

Default Retrogamers Paradise (DOSbox, WinUAE, SNES9X, …)

May 18th, 2014, 15:11
Please post about your experiences with old cRPGs here; how to get them running on modern machines.
Best Emulator settings, windows compatibility settings, best in-game settings,…
Here is an example:

Albion:

System: Win7 64 Bit
Game-Version: 1.3.8 (Dos game)
Emulator: Dosbox: 0.74
Game path: c:\games\Albion
CD path: c:\games\Albion\CD
Source: http://abandonia.com

Instructions:
  • start dosbox
  • Save a Dosbox .cfg-file: enter "config -writeconf dosbox.conf" at the dosbox command prompt
  • press enter
  • exit dosbox with "exit" + enter
  • edit the [autoexec] section of the dosbox.conf file
  • enter:
mount c c:\games\albion
c:
cd albion
  • start Dosbox
  • enter "setup"
  • Select SB16 for Sound and General Midi (Roland 400) for music
  • Select "Done" to save and exit the setup-program
  • enter "albion" for starting the game -> you can add "albion" to the [autoexec] section, if you want:
mount c c:\games\albion
c:
cd albion
albion

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 18th, 2014, 16:27
Erm… Hidden… Thanks to you I've checked Max Payne and they say on Steam it won't work on win7. Any cure? Or it's currently - no buy?

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

May 18th, 2014, 18:33
I'd love to know how to get Worlds of Xeen running on DOSBox without such clunky, wobbly mouse cursor movement, or Ultima 7 without that annoying pause every 4 or 5 steps my character takes…and this on an i7, GTX 660Ti-based system! Otherwise, DOSBox and the Amiga emulator is BOSS.

JackOfOwls

Traveler

May 18th, 2014, 18:43
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Erm… Hidden… Thanks to you I've checked Max Payne and they say on Steam it won't work on win7. Any cure? Or it's currently - no buy?
The problem with Max Payne games is not Win 7, they are simply not running on multi-cores. You have to tell them running on one core only:

Make a MP.bat file with this command in it:
start /affinity 1 MaxPayne.exe
voila - start MP.bat

PS:
I've heard you need patch 1.05 and a sound patch, too!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 18th, 2014, 18:57
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
I'd love to know how to get Worlds of Xeen running on DOSBox without such clunky, wobbly mouse cursor movement, or Ultima 7 without that annoying pause every 4 or 5 steps my character takes…and this on an i7, GTX 660Ti-based system! Otherwise, DOSBox and the Amiga emulator is BOSS.
Have you tried this guide for Ultima 7 already?

Spoiler – Ultima 7

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

Wink 

May 18th, 2014, 20:36
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Have you tried this guide for Ultima 7 already?

Spoiler – Ultima 7
I honestly can't remember if I did in the 5 years I've been trying to get U7 to run smoothly under DOSBox, but I think I remember reading on the VOGANS forum that even on original 486-hardware, U7 had this problem. Of course, the alternative is to use exult but I heard that this port is missing certain features from the DOS version and I'd like to play it as close to the original version as possible. Plus, I won't be tempted to play in ridiculous resolutions that the developers never intended Ultima 7 to be played at

JackOfOwls

Traveler

May 18th, 2014, 20:41
Exult is a great effort, but it just doesn't feel the same as the original.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 19th, 2014, 09:48
Personally, I couldn't imagine playing U7 without Exult, but that's probably because I didn't play it back in the day.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 19th, 2014, 21:58
There's also Nuvie

What's Nuvie?
Nuvie, pronounced 'New-Vee' is an open sourced game engine for playing Origin's games Ultima 6, Martian Dreams and Savage Empire on modern operating systems. Ultima 6 is fully playable from start to finish with Nuvie. Nuvie also contains many enhancements to the original game engine including new UI modes, featuring drag'n'drop and full map view mode. Alternate graphics are also supported.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 19th, 2014, 23:00
Originally Posted by JackOfOwls View Post
I had them both working flawlessly on XP a couple years ago. Haven't tried Win 7.

The configurations were sadly lost when I upgraded. Should have saved them (hits head)…

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

May 19th, 2014, 23:06
A second boot-partition (or VMWare) with Windows XP is always a good idea for older games.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 19th, 2014, 23:27
I had been using Microsoft's "Virtual PC" software, and could successfully install DOS and Windows 3.1 there.

Microsoft's "Virtual PC" comes in several variants. Some of them already contain "Service Packs".

My personal advice is to use Virtual PC 2004 first, mainly because of the "MS-DOS Additions" or how they are called (you'd want them for DOS mouse support, for example), and then, after installing them (and probably other "Additions" as well), upgrade it to Virtual PC 2007 (and its "Service Packs" as well, if possible).

Of Albion I did an CD image, of my own CD, by the way.

I also tried to do floppy disk images, but that is a bit difficult because there is no "definitive program" for that, and it doesn't work with copy-protected Floppies (like for the Blues Brothers jump & run game by Titus), either. I had long ago made a thread regarding this matter here : http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14651 Most disk image creating programs don't do images of floppies anyway.

All of what I've written above is valid for Windows XP because I did it with it. I don't have anything newer than that yet (and I really hope that I'll be able to build myself a whole new PC for Win98SE one day …)

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 20th, 2014, 11:13
My favorite emulators:

WinUAE - Amiga
DOSbox - Dos
SNES9X - Super Nintendo Entertainment System

can you recommend some others?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 20th, 2014, 15:21
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
My favorite emulators:

WinUAE - Amiga
DOSbox - Dos
SNES9X - Super Nintendo Entertainment System

can you recommend some others?
I agree with the above.
A few others:

Steem SSE - Atari ST
Vice - Commodore 64
Nestopia - Undead Edition - NES

UNZ - FM Towns / Marty
For playing the Ultima games with full voice acting …as well as other nice games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDRbhCSMrwY

Dagar

Watcher

May 20th, 2014, 15:25
http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/ - Gamecube and Wii emulator

http://pcsx2.net/ - Playstation 2 emulator

http://www.indieretronews.com/ - Great site for retro gaming

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 21st, 2014, 12:51
I assume a lot of you know this, but for those who don't: GreyFace has developed some really important patches for Might & Magic 6-8. In fact, I'd say it's pretty much mandatory to use those patches these days. Anyway, here's his site:
https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 21st, 2014, 13:03
Thanks for the links, guys.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 22nd, 2014, 11:47
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Personally, I couldn't imagine playing U7 without Exult, but that's probably because I didn't play it back in the day.
I played it before exult Existed, and I still can't imagine playing it without Exult (the key ring is a large part of this though)

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

May 22nd, 2014, 19:08
For anyone interested in revisiting Wizardry 6 or 7:

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.c…dosbox/#dosbox

Custom Dosbox version that fixes the digital sound effects problems encountered in Wiz 6/7 using standard Dosbox.

CrazyIrish

Keeper of the Watch

May 22nd, 2014, 21:11
Originally Posted by CrazyIrish View Post
For anyone interested in revisiting Wizardry 6 or 7:

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.c…dosbox/#dosbox

Custom Dosbox version that fixes the digital sound effects problems encountered in Wiz 6/7 using standard Dosbox.
A little off topic, but I'd love to play all the classic pre-1995 CRPGs of yesteryear (ie Wizardry series, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, etc.) , but can't tolerate the lack of an effective automap and I hated using graph paper. One of my favorites (and the first CRPG I ever played, on the C64) was Dragon Wars and one reason I thoroughly enjoyed it was because it had an excellent automap system. Grid Cartographer 2 looks like a good program to help get around the problem of no automapping but need something that can map in game so i don't have to constantly exit, then tab back into the game, then exit out, then- repeat, rinse & cycle.

JackOfOwls

Traveler

Tags
crpg, dosbox, emulator, snes9x, winuae
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Retrogamers Paradise (DOSbox, WinUAE, SNES9X, …)