|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Modern games w/ overland map/exploration

Default Modern games w/ overland map/exploration

June 29th, 2014, 06:09
I probably shouldn't be asking this with Divinity:OS just 2 days away, but I've long yearned for another game in the style of NWN2: SoZ and older D&D with an overland map and the exploration that goes along with it.

Am I looking in the wrong places or do games with this mechanic simply not exist anymore?

I guess maybe Spiderweb games…

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

June 29th, 2014, 09:34
Wasteland 2 will have that to a certain extent, like the first two Fallouts.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

June 29th, 2014, 12:35
I think that retro games are your best bet. Unfortunately, most of those will probably be RPGMaker games. There is a roguelike, Tales of May'Eyal, that's got overland nagivation, plus it's a bit more accessible than most games in the genre.

It seems strange that we're not seeing more Gold Box type games out of the indie market. PoR had great overland exploration.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

June 29th, 2014, 12:43
I'm not absolutely sure whether I've understood what you mean … But if you mean just map exploration …

I … tend to believe that rather MMOs have this nowadays … Sad.

I know it from SWTOR, where you actually even get experience points for exploring areas …

Apart from that rather strategy games, I guess ? Age Of onders, Cultures, Settlers, maybe …

And what about Skyrim ? Doesn't it have exploration as well ? I mean, I read that the game's environment is said to be huge …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

June 29th, 2014, 13:12
I think he means games with an alternative exploration mode for travelling great distances which is displayed as a top view map of the game world being "zoomed out" very far.

Just like in Northland Trilogy 1 & 2.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

June 29th, 2014, 14:33
Avadon 2 has a lot of exploration in the style of Baldur's Gate. It's got very good exploration overall with a lot of unique encounters and interesting things to find, so I'd recommend it.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 29th, 2014, 18:19
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
I think he means games with an alternative exploration mode for travelling great distances which is displayed as a top view map of the game world being "zoomed out" very far.

Just like in Northland Trilogy 1 & 2.
Ah, okay, thank you !

No, I'm sorry, I don't remember anything like that …

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Modern games w/ overland map/exploration