|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released

Default Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released

May 25th, 2014, 01:17
InXile entertainment have released the promised Wasteland 2 opening movie from MCM London in a new post-funding update on Kickstarter.

The Opening Movie

Brian was on stage at MCM London earlier today showing the Wasteland 2 opening movie and talking about the game and crowdfunding (you can watch the presentation on Resero Network's twitch through this link).

Of course we'd like all our backers to see this opening movie, so we put it up on Youtube for you. Enjoy!
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 25th, 2014, 01:17
It looks so-so imo. The voice actor narrating is bad imo. Other than that, it looks ok. I guess. Personally, I would have rather they used that money for something else.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; May 25th, 2014 at 01:37.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2014, 01:35
It was fine, but comparing it to Fallout 1's.. well… not even the beginning of a contest.

killias2:
Steam is the only answer. It's convenient, it's easy to use, it's simple and fast. It's great.

killias2

Sentinel

May 25th, 2014, 01:43
Nothing wrong with the voiceover, he sounded great. It's all taking shape,cant wait for August to come around. ( couldn't find the other 2 )

fatknacker50

Watchdog

May 25th, 2014, 02:39
Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

May 25th, 2014, 02:42
Kind of 90's FMV intro. Certainly could be better but I understand what they were shooting for. Personally I think an in-game intro would have been sufficient.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

May 25th, 2014, 03:11
Looks kinda Nuka-Break'ish… heh. Given the budget, you can't really expect much more… but, yeah, it's pretty low quality. Still looking forward to the game of course!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

May 25th, 2014, 04:16
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Thought the voice over guy was trying too hard to sound gritty, then I saw his face and he looked like a dressed up Angry Joe. Guess it could be a little better.
If you mean the Vargas actor, that's not the voice actor afaik, the dub over looked pretty silly.

It was "ok", but i agree that the voice guy tries way too hard, it almost sounds like he's going for comedy more than something serious (i'm thinking of the Honest game trailers etc, i wonder if its the same guy).

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 25th, 2014, 05:49
Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.

Santos

Ass-hat

May 25th, 2014, 06:54
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Still, if it had to be done, better this way, rather than expensive, resource draining CGI.
I'd be happier if they just had some still artwork with a decent voice actor narrating over top.

killias2:
Steam is the only answer. It's convenient, it's easy to use, it's simple and fast. It's great.

killias2

Sentinel

May 25th, 2014, 08:32
I would have chosen something simpler, like images with narration and minimal animation. This looks awkward and amateur-hour.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 25th, 2014, 08:52
I like it. It is raw and gives a feeling of immersion. For me the only thing lacking is indeed the voice over.

ikbenrichard

Fulltime RPG watcher

May 25th, 2014, 09:47
Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc… That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2014, 09:56
Personally, I also would have preferred something simpler, because this attempt at live-action movie somehow feels "cheap", somehow. Perhaps a version of uncanny valley, don't know (a movie that's aiming to be realistic instead of something purely artificial). Of course it can't compare to any Fallout intro, but imho, Fallout has the more creative setting anyway.

Irian

Atheistic Pirate

May 25th, 2014, 09:56
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Looks good and fitting. Too bad they did not process images to reduce clarity, grain etc… That HD sharp definition goes with a civilization at its peak not after its apocalypse.
which is kind of silly though, its not like digital equipment would generate noise or less sharpness just because its getting old but i get what you're saying. I'm also not familiar with Wasteland lore, is it the same as in Fallout? In that case it would make sense (analog equipment gone bad).

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

May 25th, 2014, 10:55
Artistic choice to avoid featuring a civilization past its peak with technological means that belong to their golden age.

The video contains non sensitical material (like the attires) that are only meant to provide atmospheric feeling.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2014, 11:56
This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.

mercy

Sentinel

May 25th, 2014, 12:25
It was a little on the cheesy side, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional. I thought it was decent.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 25th, 2014, 13:45
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
This game should be on par with Fallout 1, but Wasteland 2 is nearing mediocre with its sub-par graphics and lack of talent.
I personally liked the film, though I've got to admit a little film can not make or break a game for me. I don't see how the game should be graphically on par with a game that had well over 10 times its budget (or much more with inflation). Wasteland 2 will live or die with its game play and story.

forgottenlor

Watchdog

May 25th, 2014, 14:15
So I read all the comments, expected to be disappointed, and then watch the video; collectively I think are being a bit harsh. I could nic pic at it but overall I think it was appropriate for the game.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released