|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - HiddenX's New CRPG Analyzer

Default RPGWatch - HiddenX's New CRPG Analyzer

May 27th, 2014, 08:27
HiddenX sent me news about his complete, and updated version of his CRPG Analyzer. Don't forget to thank HiddenX,Wulf, and Arhu for all their hard work.

You can check out his project here.

The CRPG Analyzer: A checklist for computer roleplaying games

One of most discussed questions in computer roleplaying game forums is the question: “What is a CRPG?”

You can find a lot of different answers and opinions about this question all over the net. Some say “This question never gets old” other say “Please, don’t beat this dead horse again”

Because we belong to the former group about one year ago Wulf, Arhu and I started a discussion trying to identify the characterizing defining elements of the CRPG genre. Others joined us and over the course of one year we created a checklist that helps to understand why a game is labeled as a CRPG or not. This article describes our approach to the leading question and presents the results. The easy answer:

A CRPG is a computer game that belongs to the CRPG genre: A class of games that allow you to role-play an in-game character. Leads directly to the following new questions when you try to decide whether a given game belongs to the CRPG genre or not:

• What are the characterizing elements (=recurring patterns) of computer role-playing?
  • Which of these elements are essential, which are important and which are optional?
  • Which elements distinguish CRPGs from related genres like strategy games, adventure games shooters and simulation games?
  • Are there similarities to pen&paper role-playing games?
After some brainstorming we decided to cluster characterizing CRPG elements in four main categories: Character Development, Exploration, Story and Combat. The consensus is that the main categories Character development, Exploration and Story are essential for the CRPG genre and the main category Combat is common but optional.
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

May 27th, 2014, 08:27
I would like to thank all people involved for enhancing this CRPG checklist.

For the interested reader:

Discussion thread here at RPGWatch

-> many internet links, thesis papers, discussions on the topic CRPG elements and the CRPG genre in general

Discussion thread at the RPGCodex
-> even more discussions and interesting opinions and arguments

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
Last edited by HiddenX; May 27th, 2014 at 08:56.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 27th, 2014, 11:38
Thank You! Will help greatly in development of my RPG.

mercy

Sentinel

+1:

May 27th, 2014, 14:28
“This question never gets old”
That is an expression I have honestly never heard, anywhere, in reference to this topic. But good luck on the project!

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

May 27th, 2014, 15:13
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Thank You! Will help greatly in development of my RPG.
The checklist can be read as a user-requirement-specification, maybe I should send a copy to Larian…

Originally Posted by screeg View Post
That is an expression I have honestly never heard, anywhere, in reference to this topic. But good luck on the project!
The expression could be mine

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 27th, 2014, 15:44
OK, now you IT wizards get cracking and turn it into a widget for the games database

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

May 27th, 2014, 16:25
Nice list. Its well thought out and detailed.

forgottenlor

Watchdog

May 28th, 2014, 01:39
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
OK, now you IT wizards get cracking and turn it into a widget for the games database
aww yisss

..erm..+1

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

May 28th, 2014, 02:15
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I'm an old school programmer and no expert into web interfaces. So I have to pass the ball to Arhu or Myrthos.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

May 28th, 2014, 03:29
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
I might have. Though I've got access to a lot of really good BBQ sauces so I might be a bit more tolerant of dead horses than most.

EDIT: Hey, were are we supposed to debate the merits of this system? There's no reply option on that post but there is a quote option which will start a reply. I get the feeling that isn't supposed to be there, though.

Edit2: Nevermind, I figured it out. It was in "show single post" mode.
Last edited by Zloth; May 28th, 2014 at 04:15. Reason: Question

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

May 29th, 2014, 08:07
@Zloth -> direct link to the discussion thread

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch - HiddenX's New CRPG Analyzer