|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 Coverage

Default Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 Coverage

June 9th, 2014, 21:42
Chewin at the Bioware forums, in this thread points to a new E3 trailer for DA: Inquisition. You can watch the trailer here.

Also, from E3, Spike TV, has this footage featuring Aaryn Flynn taking about DA: Inquisition. Gameplay seems to be shown from about 3:22:09 and ends at about 3:26:26 .



More information.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.
aries100 is offline

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

#1

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 1,984

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 21:42
Looking good to me, watched this just a little while ago and looks amazing. A good time to be a gamer!

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
wolfgrimdark is offline

wolfgrimdark

wolfgrimdark's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 856

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 22:34
Here is another gameplay video, and companion breakdown (without ads)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeLvLJTygo
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#3

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,874

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 23:31
Wow, it looks much better than I expected.
I hadn't planned on purchasing this after that last disaster, but I'm reconsidering that.
I just hope Inquisition has more than one boring town and fewer repeating locations.
Vindicator is offline

Vindicator

Vindicator's Avatar
Watchdog

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 189

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 23:37
What does "premiere content first on XBOX one" mean? They cut some stuff out and have some sort of exclusivity deal with microsoft?

Found this link with some combat footage, left me feeling very meh. There seems to be no focus on pausing and giving orders or is that just to keep the presentaion "dramatic" for the E3 crowd?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUu7SXHThc
Lemonhead is offline

Lemonhead

Lemonhead's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#5

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 654

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 23:50
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
What does "premiere content first on XBOX one" mean? They cut some stuff out and have some sort of exclusivity deal with microsoft?
The first DLC will be Microsoft timed exclusive. They haven't announced any, it might release 6+ month after the game for all we know. It's just part of their contract with Microsoft to have the game on the xbox (and probably part of having the game shown in the Microsoft presentation too).
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#6

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,416

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 23:53
Seen that on twitch stream presentation already and I actually like that combat.
And there is a possibility to pause and give orders, it's just not shown in that vid.

There is something else I like even more. I'm 100% sure once you kill that dragon, it won't reappear 3425238549784532846382 times above mages' guild.

As for DLC… I'm not buying any pay2win crap any more. Can buy if it's standalone (like in FC3) or separate (like in DX:HR) from the main game.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#7

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,726

Default 

June 9th, 2014, 23:54
There will be a pausable overhead tactical view, just like the previous games.
Vindicator is offline

Vindicator

Vindicator's Avatar
Watchdog

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 189

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 00:53
Didn't we do that same fight with a Dragon in the last game in the mines or some place?
CelticFrost is offline

CelticFrost

Sentinel

#9

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 308

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 11:04
Yeah we did something similar in DA2, I think? I'm suspecting there will be a lot of dragon fights in DA3…

Graphics look so plastic-y…. I'm really more interested in story than the combat so those vids aren't really selling anything to me. If they don't tell us anything about Eluvian, Flemmeth and Morrigan's god baby, I'm not buying it.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus
purpleblob is offline

purpleblob

purpleblob's Avatar
Princess

#10

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,029

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 11:25
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Seen that on twitch stream presentation already and I actually like that combat.
And there is a possibility to pause and give orders, it's just not shown in that vid.
I thought it looked very MMO-ish with big colourful effects and twirling/jumping around on every attack which actually makes everything dull after a while since every attack has to be a super duper finishing type move. I might skip this one… Definitely not a must-buy.
Lemonhead is offline

Lemonhead

Lemonhead's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#11

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 654

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 13:03
It looks better than I expected based on previous trailers, screenshots and concept art. Still not blown away, but there was some pretty nice stuff in there.

I'm not going to say anything about the gameplay 'snippet'. As far as I am concerned that will have to wait until I've seen more gameplay vids or better yet, played a demo.

One last thing about it looking 'plasticy', though. I've seen that comment elsewhere. What is that some of you see? My own feeling is that one of the things that may hamper the visual design itself is that people, creatures, arms, armour, clothing, architecture and landscapes seem to have different levels of stylization, meaning sometimes more and sometimes less realistic-ish or stylized. Gives me a very odd feeling.
There's also the fact that some surfaces (sometimes skin, sometimes metal) look odd.
Fluffyhotep is offline

Fluffyhotep

Fluffyhotep's Avatar
Watcher

#12

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germania Inferior
Posts: 86

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 13:16
Originally Posted by Fluffyhotep View Post
It looks better than I expected based on previous trailers, screenshots and concept art. Still not blown away, but there was some pretty nice stuff in there.

I'm not going to say anything about the gameplay 'snippet'. As far as I am concerned that will have to wait until I've seen more gameplay vids or better yet, played a demo.

One last thing about it looking 'plasticy', though. I've seen that comment elsewhere. What is that some of you see? My own feeling is that one of the things that may hamper the visual design itself is that people, creatures, arms, armour, clothing, architecture and landscapes seem to have different levels of stylization, meaning sometimes more and sometimes less realistic-ish or stylized. Gives me a very odd feeling.
There's also the fact that some surfaces (sometimes skin, sometimes metal) look odd.
Dito. I also had a feeling it looked plastic or rubber-made. Nothing compared to what TW3 looks.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#13

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,031

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 13:19
Did they use a random name generator?

Blackwall, The Iron Bull, Sera, Cassandra Pentaghast…
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,014

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:07
I think it looks like a fun game. Graphics are okayish, but honestly, BioWare is still unable to make real faces that don't look like plastic. I remember this awkward love scenes from Origins. But to be fair, the whole game world looks like plastic.

On a sidenote: For a suit, Jim Wilson is really wearing an interesting piece of cloth.

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage
Avantenor is offline

Avantenor

Avantenor's Avatar
Sentinel

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 585

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:09
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Did they use a random name generator?

Blackwall, The Iron Bull, Sera, Cassandra Pentaghast…
I don't think so or, to be more precise, it's possible they use EBoN for the 'culturally specific' names, like Anglo-Saxon names for some of the Fereldens and French for Orlesians. The others are all over the place, so I think they were 'originally' invented by the writers or perhaps taken from actual pen & paper RPG characters known to the devs. For instance Morrigan's name was taken from a character in a campaign Gaider participated in, if I remember correctly (he did not know it was a pagan Irish goddess).

A name like Cassandra Pentaghast looks like a quintessential fantasy name: Personal name taken from a character from Greek mythology (Iliad), surname based on a real-world one (Welsh Prendergast, originally probably a placename in Holland or Flanders. Post-Conquest medieval immigrants and all that) and changed a little to 'fantasy-fy' it. A ghast is a d&d monster if I remember it right.
Fluffyhotep is offline

Fluffyhotep

Fluffyhotep's Avatar
Watcher

#16

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germania Inferior
Posts: 86

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:18
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Here is another gameplay video, and companion breakdown (without ads)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBeLvLJTygo
Will there only be these 4 companions? That would be far too little imho…
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

#17

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 817

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:19
Originally Posted by Fluffyhotep View Post
A name like Cassandra Pentaghast looks like a quintessential fantasy name: Personal name taken from a character from Greek mythology (Iliad), surname based on a real-world one (Welsh Prendergast, originally probably a placename in Holland or Flanders. Post-Conquest medieval immigrants and all that) and changed a little to 'fantasy-fy' it. A ghast is a d&d monster if I remember it right.
Pentaghast also isn't that far from Pendragon, what leads to Uther Pendragon.

Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
Will there only be these 4 companions? That would be far too little imho…
I remember Solas, Varric and Cassandra Pentaghast on top of these, maybe also Leliana.

Edit: See this pic

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage
Last edited by Avantenor; June 10th, 2014 at 14:31.
Avantenor is offline

Avantenor

Avantenor's Avatar
Sentinel

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 585

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:32
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
Pentaghast also isn't that far from Pendragon, what leads to Uther Pendragon.
If I had to make a guess, I'd say they took Prendergast as the 'base', then thought it fun to change it by way of combining the 'Penta' from 'Pentagram' and 'ghast' from some D&D monster manual. I can easily imagine them chuckling at their own naughty cleverness. I can actually appreciate that, it's a very recognisable DM-prank
Fluffyhotep is offline

Fluffyhotep

Fluffyhotep's Avatar
Watcher

#19

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Germania Inferior
Posts: 86

Default 

June 10th, 2014, 14:36
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
I remember Solas, Varric and Cassandra Pentaghast on top of these, maybe also Leliana.

Edit: See this pic
Thanks!
Morrandir is online now

Morrandir

Morrandir's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

#20

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 817
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 Coverage
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:05.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch