|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » GOG Galaxy

Default GOG Galaxy

June 5th, 2014, 21:50
Very interesting post I found not sure if it has been post up here yet.

http://kotaku.com/gog-is-launching-t…eam-1586671303

CelticFrost

Sentinel

June 5th, 2014, 22:14
I've already signed up.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

June 5th, 2014, 22:54
A 5th game client to install…

:/

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

June 5th, 2014, 22:57
Ugh….

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

June 5th, 2014, 23:04
Great news. I like some features of Steam and wished that GOG had the same. Should be great!

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 7th, 2014, 10:03
As long as it is not mandatory, I'm all for this.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

June 7th, 2014, 17:41
I'm just happy that GOG is finally getting a client. I love some aspects of the Steam client, like the auto-updates, the easy installation process, keeping track of how much time you've played the game for, etc. So getting that with GOG games is really cool.

I can't wait to see what clever features they include.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 8th, 2014, 01:16
Mixed feelings about this. I love Steam's ability to keep my game-library in 'the cloud', so that when I'm in a new or different machine, maybe out of town, I'm just a couple of clicks away from playing whatever game I want, and also to keep the games automatically up to date. But my GOG library consists of 95% old games that are not updated anymore so that part is not as beneficial right now.

Maybe GOG is pushing towards selling all games, not only older games, but I doubt publishers of recently released games will agree to not have DRM.

I guess I would run the client once in a while so it automatically updates whatever I have in the library, but not constantly up like I have Steam.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 8th, 2014, 03:01
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Mixed feelings about this. I love Steam's ability to keep my game-library in 'the cloud', so that when I'm in a new or different machine, maybe out of town, I'm just a couple of clicks away from playing whatever game I want, and also to keep the games automatically up to date. But my GOG library consists of 95% old games that are not updated anymore so that part is not as beneficial right now.

Maybe GOG is pushing towards selling all games, not only older games, but I doubt publishers of recently released games will agree to not have DRM.

I guess I would run the client once in a while so it automatically updates whatever I have in the library, but not constantly up like I have Steam.
It would be amazing if GOG included community mod updates in their client as well. So even though you mostly have a collection of old games, finding the latest unofficial patches and mods for those games would be much easier. That's wishful thinking at this point, but you never know.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 8th, 2014, 03:06
There's actually a community drive to release the client under an open source licence (as well as documenting the protocol) which would easily allow for a plugin to do exactly that.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 8th, 2014, 03:54
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post

GOG has been pushing out newer titles, like the Witcher games and HOMMV, for some time. I personally send emails asking if games I'm interested in are coming to GoG, and telling them I won't be buying them if not.

I'm meh on the client thing. I really don't care. But maybe it'll help in some way.

It was the night before Hogswatch…

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity - Edgar Allan Poe

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!

Send a message via AIM to azraelck Send a message via Skype™ to azraelck

June 8th, 2014, 04:03
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
There's actually a community drive to release the client under an open source licence (as well as documenting the protocol) which would easily allow for a plugin to do exactly that.
Well now I'm even more excited at the possibilities. I really can't wait to see what this amounts to.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 8th, 2014, 07:31
I have signed up

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

June 8th, 2014, 08:16
So confusing why anyone would have a valid reason to bitch about this. It's no different than having to go to the website every time you want to download or update something except that it can automatically inform you of shit.

People that piss and moan about this kind of stuff just proves to me that no matter what you do, someone will bitch about it just because they can. No valid reason.

It's shit like that that ends up screwing up games. Developers get confused about what people want because there's always some d-bag that has to bitch about whatever they're doing. You could crap them a golden egg and they'd complain that it smells bad.

HordeQ

Watcher

June 8th, 2014, 15:09
Originally Posted by HordeQ View Post
So confusing why anyone would have a valid reason to bitch about this. It's no different than having to go to the website every time you want to download or update something except that it can automatically inform you of shit.

People that piss and moan about this kind of stuff just proves to me that no matter what you do, someone will bitch about it just because they can. No valid reason.

It's shit like that that ends up screwing up games. Developers get confused about what people want because there's always some d-bag that has to bitch about whatever they're doing. You could crap them a golden egg and they'd complain that it smells bad.
I don't think anybody has bitched about it, most have said they like it or they're indifferent (like me). Except Thrasher who said 'Ugh' but, well, it's Thrasher

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

June 8th, 2014, 20:19
What are you guys signing up for? Galaxy? The only thing to sign up for on the Galaxy page on GOG is to join the queue for beta-testing the Witcher adventure game. I don't think that has anything to do with Galaxy…or does it?

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 15th, 2014, 04:01
If it lets us pick and choose versions, that would sure be nice. I still remember Steam updating my copy of Skyrim even though I had the option turned off. That's likely fixed by now but you still have to turn the option off before you open the client or it will start updating immediately.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » GOG Galaxy