Fallout 3 - Beaten In Under 24 Minutes

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Kotaku has news about a new speedrunner who beat Fallout 3 in under 24 minutes. Now I really don't care, but some of you might find this interesting.

Watch as speedrunner BubblesDelFuego jets across the capital wasteland, all in the name of speed. Bubbles manages to beat the game in an astounding 23:55, beating the previous record of 24:20.

The previous record for an "any percentage" run was also held by BubblesDelFuego, by the way. He beat his personal best, though you can look at the Fallout 3 leaderboard in this Google Doc here.

Bubbles makes use of many well-known Fallout 3 speedrunning strategies here, such as 'load clipping' (which allows you to move through objects as the game is loading), and 'dialogue skips' (quick-saving and quick-loading allows you to skip dialogue). These are glitches that are available to anyone who plays the game.

I'm amazed not just at the number of ways one can simply walk through geometry, but how many highly dangerous situations a player can simply...run through. Bubbles finds himself sailing through locations bursting with either super mutants or people equipped with power-armor, but nobody manages to stop him. Of course, knowing that he could simply run past everything didn't help, as I still found myself watching with panic.
More information.

I find this kind of thing sad, actually. It's more like hacking than playing the game.

I believe someone did it even faster with Morrowind. It means nothing at all.

I don't see the point/skill in using glitches to accomplish a speedrun. :|

It's like climbing a miniature Mount Everest with an avatar.

Since I don't get people who want to climb the real Mount Everest with their own minds and bodies - I get this even less :)

Looks like a very challenging game, you can just run through laser beams with no problem at all. Might sprain an ankle from the hiking though....

Back
Top Bottom