Daedalic Entertainment - Community Q&A Questions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright everyone I have a surprise for you. Thanks to a suggestion from Gokyabgu we now have the chance to ask questions you want answered by Daedalic Entertainment.

I'll leave this thread open till Monday the 21st. After that I will send in the questions for a new article to be posted later. So let's get the questions rolling.

Note: You must be a member of the site to participate.

More information.

I forgot to mention please keep your questions together in one post. I don't want to check every single post for multiple questions from the same member.

So as I said above lets get started.;)

Can we ask anything about Daedalic? So its not related only to Blackguards 2, am I right?

To answer your question yes you can.

I also changed the news-bit title as I had the wrong one selected.:embarrassed:

My questions:

Has Blackguards fulfilled your sales expectations?

I like tactical games like Blackguards, Incubation, Jagged Alliance etc. so I welcome Blackguards 2. But I love full fledged CRPGs, too. So how long we have to wait until Daedalic dares to make a traditional CRPG (Drakensang, Nordland Triologie...)?

Perhaps I shouldn't press this much, but in Blackguards there were no "social skills" like pickpocket for example. Nor crafting. Any hope we'll see those stuff in the sequel?

Also any plans on more TDE adventures? Chains/Satinav was a good game.

Can we conclude that with the sequel announced, there'll be no more DLC for Blackguards?

Why go for a full blown sequel with Blackguards 2 (in the name that is), instead of dubbing it a spin-off or an expansion, since it seems (so far) that the next game is mostly more of the same as the first one?

Do you have any plans at the moment to bring Blackguards to mobile systems? I personally would love to see it on something like an iPad. I would also be interested if it's a brand new game with the same (or very similar) gameplay experience which is not F2P.

Any plans for bringing your adventure titles - Deponia, the TDE ones to mobile?

Question:
You're publishers of Divinity: Original Sin. Are you surprised of the good reception of the game? Will this inspire your own development to adopt a more dept story, characters, environments, for Blackguards 2?

So how long we have to wait until Daedalic dares to make a traditional CRPG (Drakensang, Nordland Triologie…)?
This.

My questions. Please add them to the interview Kevin:

“1 – Do you plan to make world map more dynamic like Fallout or Arcanum games? Will there be random encounters that increase the tension of the game and give the player some chance to grinding?

2 – There were some story acts (ex. Act 2) in the first game that very linear. Because of the tough fights (especially in the hard difficulty) and not a chance to stray from the path in these acts, there was no room to improve the characters in order to beat the difficult fights. On the contrary Act 3 offered players much more freedom. What will be the general world and quest design of Blackguards 2? Will it offer more freedom and non-linearity than the first game?

3 – Will the second game be bigger than the first? Dungeons in the first game are generally small and didn’t give the player much chance to exploration. Will the players see bigger dungeons in Blackguards 2? Will there be bigger dungeon battle maps that include multiple battles?

4 – Mages in the first game played supportive roles generally. In the second game is there a plan to make mages much more powerful at higher levels with destructive spells in their arsenal?

5 – What will be the general dialogue design of Blackguards 2? Will it offer more choices to the player (intimidating, persuading, reasoning, etc) according to his/her stats?

6 – Apart from the excellent combat design one of the strongest parts of Blackguards 1 was the choices player has to made and their unforeseen consequences. And player didn’t know the outcome until the later stages of the game. Will we see more choices&consequences like these in the second game?”

Thanks.

How is the takeover by Bastei Lübbe going on? The marriage between a new media and an old media company seems quite unusual. How did it came to this?

Are there already plans to use Bastei Lübbe IPs for games?

Question:
You're publishers of Divinity: Original Sin. Are you surprised of the good reception of the game? Will this inspire your own development to adopt a more dept story, characters, environments, for Blackguards 2?

Daedalic Entertainment != Larian Studios

Alt right my fellow watchers you have one day left to ask your questions. Remember this interview is all about your questions not mine this time.

The length is determined by the amount of questions you guys want answered.;)

Questions:

- How do you create your stories? Is there usually one central figure, one writer, who creates the whole concept while other writers help him flesh out details? Or is it full collaboration from the start when all writers and designers put ideas together?

- You made many games so it must be hard to bring in fresh and interesting characters for each and every new game. Do you have some method that helps you to design interesting characters?

- Are there some basic design principles you try to adhere to?

- Memoria is great game with wonderful story. Do you plan to develop another TDE/DSA adventure or an RPG? Do you already has some concept?

- I would suggest to develop game that is somewhat influenced by events in Blackguards 1/2. Both games could benefit from such "cross-over sensation" and became TDE canon. What do you think about this idea?
(One suggestion - what about story in Selem and surroundings? You have tension between Khalifat and AlAnfa there, lizardmen and temples of lizard gods, temple of Satinav, Dark Gate which occasionally opens to Zze Tha, old library, academy, exotic goods, crazy people, the hero could be slave who wants to escape… And its near your Blackguards "battleground". :) )

- Drakensang: The Dark Eye and Drakensang: River of Time is probably well known to you at Daedalic. What do you think about these RPGs? Would you like to develop similar game?

- Would/Do you like to insert some deeper theme or message into your games? To make the story stand up above usual simple "he is bad guy, kill him" stereotypes?

- What are the most common mistakes in contemporary adventures in your opinion? Do you like recent movie-like games like Beyond: Two Souls?

- What do you think about recent gaming trends like KS campaigns, F2P, forced online components, streamlining (dumbing down), over-the-top action/gore…?

- You opened new studio to step into different genres. So what could we expect from you? An RPG, action adventure, turn based strategy, RTS…?

- If you could make any game, any brand, any budget, what would be your personal dream project?

Those are very good questions Farflame I look forward to their answers.:highfive:

Update:
It has come to my attention Myrthos is also doing a new interview with Daedalic Entertainment at Gamescom. So look forward to that one also in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Would Daedalic do an Jump & Run game like the Giana Sisters game, or like Trine ?

And - what do you think about the lack of colourfulness in contemporary games ?

Another point : There is a prejudice that colourfulness and "simple fun" is childish, and that the opposite of that is rather believed to show that a person is an adult.
What do you think of this prejudice, and that "es kann nicht sein, was nicht sein darf" ("it cannot be what must not be") regarding adults enjoying colourful games with "just simple fun" like Rayman : Origins ?

With the Blackguards 1 physical Box you did not receive early access, you had to wait longer as the digital release was advanced, you had to pay the full price and couldn't use the 50% off from the steam sale, you did not receive any steam key and therefore were additionally punished by having to buy the DLC on a rather unknown platform. I am wondering if Daedalic is making it more fair with the Release of Blackguards 2.

Those are very good questions Farflame I look forward to their answers.:highfive:

Me too. And thanks.

It has come to my attention Myrthos is also doing a new interview with Daedalic Entertainment at Gamescom.

Nice. And what about some interview with RPG developers? Or ex-RPG developers like Smith and Colantonio from Arkane. I dont know who will be there. Inxile? Piranha Bytes? Focus (Styx)? Atterdux (Legends of Eisenwald)? Maybe some indie guys…

Back
Top Bottom