|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Diablo HD Remake Mod

Default Original Sin - Diablo HD Remake Mod

July 22nd, 2014, 19:58
The Cinema Blend website has news of a promising mod being made with the Divinity: Original Sin Engine. The mod is a remake of the classic Diablo. Here are the details.

The first Diablo is getting an unofficial HD remake thanks to one devoted fan. He's rebuilding the game from the ground up on PC and Mac using Divinity: Original Sin's engine.

Reddit user docalypse started the remake, called Diablo: Original Sin, about four days ago. In that short period of time, he's managed to do a far amount of work. The first screenshots, seen in the gallery below, show the fruits of his labors. He's recreated the doomed town of Tristram, the surrounding countryside, and the cathedral.

His ultimate plans for the game include 26 levels based on the base Diablo game and its expansion Hellfire. Players will be able to venture beneath Tristram with a party of up to 4 characters. The mod will incorporate music from D1 and possibly its sequel as well.

While it will retain the look of Diablo, Diablo: Original Sin will have very different gameplay. The environments will be hand-crafted instead of randomized, with unique items placed throughout the game. Though 4-player co-op is possible, a lone player can control the full party if they'd rather go it alone. Traps can wipe out parties unwilling to let their rogue scout ahead (you brought a rogue, didn't you?). Secret areas can be reached with lockpicking and high perception ratings. Furthermore, docalypse says, Original Sin has turn-based battles instead of the usual "clickfest" Diablo combat.

The creator will add even more features to the game once the Divinity: Original Sin toolset is expanded. His to-do list includes new enemies, items, crafting recipes, and hirelings with backstories. He also wants to introduce new magic schools like Necromancy, Holy Magic and Cryomancy.
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; July 22nd, 2014 at 21:17.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2014, 19:58
My god. Sounds interesting. Did you know Diablo was originally planned to be turn-based?

my novel: bit.ly/dreamlandsbook

screeg

floating head

July 22nd, 2014, 20:10
Loving the thought of hand-placed, hand-crafted items in a Diablo game. Definitely sounds like an interesting project.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2014, 21:11
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
My god. Sounds interesting. Did you know Diablo was originally planned to be turn-based?
Really? Now that's interesting. I'm glad they didn't go in that direction though.

JDR13

SasqWatch

+1:

July 22nd, 2014, 21:13
Originally Posted by Gillian
Good day! How may I serve you?
Never has a mere innocent greeting sounded more sexy.

Morrandir

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor

July 22nd, 2014, 21:23
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Really? Now that's interesting. I'm glad they didn't go in that direction though.
I think things would have been much different if they had went turn-based. I can't imagine a turn-based Diablo with a million enemies on the screen.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 22nd, 2014, 21:49
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I think things would have been much different if they had went turn-based. I can't imagine a turn-based Diablo with a million enemies on the screen.
That and the fact that turn-based sucks (imo) with just a single character.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 22nd, 2014, 21:52
Turn-based sucks even more with cooperative multiplayer.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

July 22nd, 2014, 23:07
A turn-based version of Diablo? ok….

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

July 22nd, 2014, 23:20
…this is a remake where I ask myself the question: What is the *(^$%^*^*(&^%$^$%^*(*(^& point?
The 'soul' of Diablo rests in its very specific kind of gameplay, and you can't replicate that, or something close to it, with the Divinity toolkit.

Fluffyhotep

Watcher

July 22nd, 2014, 23:34
Originally Posted by Fluffyhotep View Post
…this is a remake where I ask myself the question: What is the *(^$%^*^*(&^%$^$%^*(*(^& point?
The 'soul' of Diablo rests in its very specific kind of gameplay, and you can't replicate that, or something close to it, with the Divinity toolkit.
Obviously the point is to make a turn-based Diablo remake.

I actually can't wait to try it out, and other mods people make in the future. Hopefully the mod community makes the game engine as popular as the aurora engine.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

+1:

July 22nd, 2014, 23:42
Divine divinity was also suppose to be turn based but publisher changed it.Now that is remake I would like to see in D:OS engine.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

July 22nd, 2014, 23:46
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
Divine divinity was also suppose to be turn based but publisher changed it.Now that is remake I would like to see in D:OS engine.
I didn't know that thanks for the information Nameless one. It would take a lot of work, but I would love to play that. Maybe someone should post the idea on the Larian forums.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

July 23rd, 2014, 00:41
Originally Posted by screeg View Post
No i didn't but had it been turn based I might have enjoyed it.

There is no worse combat system than diablo's and that's a fact.

Ok, maybe it's just my opinion but it sure feels like a fact to me.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2014, 00:48
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
No i didn't but had it been turn based I might have enjoyed it.

There is no worse combat system than diablo's and that's a fact.

Ok, maybe it's just my opinion but it sure feels like a fact to me.
I am playing Diablo II right now and I don't think it's that bad. Simple, yes. Bad, no.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 23rd, 2014, 01:43
So many games that they could remake in this engine and they go for Diablo? Jeesh. I would rather have something like the Gold Box games remade.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

July 23rd, 2014, 02:08
It is a fact that there were original aims for Diablo to be turn-based—-the general aim was to improve upon the dev team's experience with Angband in particular, but somewhere along the lines they shifted to realtime instead and here we are.

getter77

Sentinel

July 23rd, 2014, 02:10
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I am playing Diablo II right now and I don't think it's that bad. Simple, yes. Bad, no.
Maybe they changed some stuff in 2 or 3. I don't know as I never played them. I actually bought 3 to give it another try but after the box sat on my desk for about a month I gave it to my son.o

I just remember clicking and clicking and clicking in Diablo 1 as seemingly endless hordes of monster attacked.

Obviously they did something right though as it was a smash hit. What ever it was it just wasn't for me.

sakichop

SasqWatch

July 23rd, 2014, 02:19
I'm impressed with the idea - it's crazy, silly yet ambitious and what's more impressive is that maybe someone will do a Van Bureen game (old school Fallout 3) or some classic RPG remake. After this post it looks like I will be forced to buy Divinity Original Sin despite my big backlog with interesting games - 2013 and 2014 are years when finally there are too many good games being released (I still remember when in 2008-2011 "everyone" was talking about crisis in PC industry and consoles and then tablets and then smartphones were going to dominate the gaming market and there weren't that many good games for PC being developed….).

xep624

Watcher

July 23rd, 2014, 02:27
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Maybe they changed some stuff in 2 or 3. I don't know as I never played them. I actually bought 3 to give it another try but after the box sat on my desk for about a month I gave it to my son.o

I just remember clicking and clicking and clicking in Diablo 1 as seemingly endless hordes of monster attacked.

Obviously they did something right though as it was a smash hit. What ever it was it just wasn't for me.
In Diablo II, you can hold the left mouse button and it will auto-attack, so it's not endless clicking.

For combat, I mainly like the skill implementation in Diablo II. The various classes have some interesting skills and you can customize them quite nicely. Later on you can pull off some more complex "chains" of skills.

Yes, it's endless waves of enemies, but it's fun killing those buggers and collecting the shiny loot .

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Diablo HD Remake Mod