|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin - Review @ RPG Codex

Default Divinity: Original Sin - Review @ RPG Codex

August 18th, 2014, 11:04
The RPG Codex has posted a new review for Divinity: Original Sin. Overall they enjoyed the game, and sing praises about it. Here is the conclusion.

Despite much of the obligatory Codexian nitpicking, I have to say that I loved the time I spent with Original Sin. Sure, it has some flaws, but overall, it is exactly what I wanted from it - or in fact more. Focusing on the flaws is like missing the forest behind a couple of trees. The game is amazing, and the sum of its parts is far greater than the parts themselves Ė and thatís not said to diminish the parts. Divinity: Original Sin is a great package filled with amusing stories, great combat, satisfying exploration and many hours of general amusement. Plug in a co-op partner that youíre well compatible with, and the fun youíre likely to have will be greater than following the Codexian Bioware thread Ė and this is taking into the account the fact that Original Sin actually costs money.

Briefly put, Original Sin is what gaming is supposed to be about: itís about having fun. Itís a game I hoped for but didnít quite expect. Itís a game that gives hope for the genre, that it does not have to be split between the AAA-type mass-appeal titles and niche 2D sprites. It gives hope that Kickstarter RPGs will end up at least as good as they were promised to be without involvement of third-party publishers and other hidden strings.

It was a great ride, and Iím looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 18th, 2014, 11:04
Very nice review.
Also will there be Watch review?

Nameless one

Wizzard

August 18th, 2014, 11:06
I don't have to read that review to know what it says

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 18th, 2014, 11:26
I agree with most of the review.
But this sentence is misleading:

"the sum of its parts is far greater than the parts themselves"

Because D:OS has simply many more (good implemented) features than most other current CRPGs.
Something less in crafting and meaningless traits & skills could have been even better for the game. So I would say something like this:
"The great variety of options in character building, equipment, combat, crafting, exploration and quest solving makes D:OS a really great game. Some options feel superfluous, but that has no negative impact on the overall gameplay."

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2014, 12:05
"I’m looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much."

Suspiciously specific denial.

Avantre

Watcher

August 18th, 2014, 12:21
I can't believe codex has such quality review. Okay, it's not forum, but stillÖ

Original Sin is what gaming is supposed to be about: itís about having fun. Itís a game I hoped for but didnít quite expect. Itís a game that gives hope for the genre, that it does not have to be split between the AAA-type mass-appeal titles and niche 2D sprites.
This is the best explanation why D:OS is so great and why should it be GOTY contender. I just hope all those upcoming Kickstarter projects will have it in mind while trying to smuggle AAA wannabe singleplayer title with mentioning phones and multiplayer crap in small letters (stretches).

It was a great ride, and Iím looking forward to the mods that will follow. Not the nudity mod though, thank you very much.
I wouldn't mind Madora having a bath. With my character. Both of them. At the same time? UmÖ WellÖ

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2014, 12:25
Anything that's old-school will be treated well by the Codex. Some would argue too well, but that's another story

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

August 18th, 2014, 14:19
Loot isn't handled very well. I found a 2 handed scythe and used it for around five levels. Most gear is just tiny little numbers differences from each other. But still a good game.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2014, 15:02
Originally Posted by Ovenall View Post
Loot isn't handled very well. I found a 2 handed scythe and used it for around five levels. Most gear is just tiny little numbers differences from each other. But still a good game.
I agree with this; though there are a few nice, unique pieces that stand out.

Inventory management could use some refinement as well.

Other issues I have with the game are just nitpicks so far.

Michael Dean

Watchdog

August 18th, 2014, 15:16
My only major problem with the game was balance/combat AI, which hopefully will be addressed sooner rather than later, although too late for me as I already finished the game, but maybe for future campaigns or user created campaigns.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 18th, 2014, 17:25
Fair review. Good job Codexians.

Wisdom

Seeker
RPGWatch Team

August 18th, 2014, 18:01
Will there be a second review since the first review wasn't negative enough? I kid Codex, I kid. It's great review, and a great assessment of the game's strengths and weaknesses, and I agree most of the pros and cons. (Like the rock, paper, scissor game. Should have just been a skill check or something)

jwmeep

Watchdog

August 18th, 2014, 20:10
I kind of like the rock paper scissors thing. At least they tried something different. Like the sneaking animations. I laughed out loud the first few times I saw those.

Ovenall

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2014, 20:59
Also, the Rock, Paper game is somewhat of a skill check. It checks your ability to intimidate, persuade, etc. against the other character and gives you an advantage or disadvantage, i.e. you get three points every win vs. his two.

Capt. Huggy Face

Magicky Utok

August 18th, 2014, 21:10
Swen already revealing information on D:OS's sequel:
https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/stat…12161642856448

Gotta love Larian.

Stingray

Sentinel

August 18th, 2014, 21:18
Originally Posted by jwmeep View Post
Will there be a second review since the first review wasn't negative enough? I kid Codex, I kid. It's great review, and a great assessment of the game's strengths and weaknesses, and I agree most of the pros and cons. (Like the rock, paper, scissor game. Should have just been a skill check or something)
The new edgy kids on the block: GameBanshee D:OS review

Nitpicking example:
However, while there weren't any crashes, the game had other minor problems, like a glaring absence of movement keys for characters, low level loot repeatedly found in high level dungeons, and overly basic AI decisions made by enemies (where, for example, enemies healed by poison still avoid poison patches on the ground).

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2014, 21:25
Hah, movement keys absence was "glaring"? That's straight-up insane. Seemed natural not to have them for this type of game.

(By the way, typo on your link, it's D:OS not Risen 3

Stingray

Sentinel

August 18th, 2014, 21:29
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Hah, movement keys absence was "glaring"? That's straight-up insane. Seemed natural not to have them for this type of game.

(By the way, typo on your link, it's D:OS not Risen 3
WASD in an isometric game is really necessary…and the world has to level around me

PS:
typo -> fixed: I'm playing too much Risen 3 these days

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2014, 21:33
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
WASD in an isometric game is really necessaryÖ
The biggest-budget isometric RPG ever made, Diablo 3, doesn't even have them.

Stingray

Sentinel

August 18th, 2014, 21:35
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Swen already revealing information on D:OS's sequel:
https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/stat…12161642856448

Gotta love Larian.
Yeah, he said the same to me last week, although he left out the naked men and gorilla. Then again it still had elves at that point in time and dwarves

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Divinity: Original Sin - Review @ RPG Codex