|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Review Roundup #6

Default Original Sin - Review Roundup #6

August 22nd, 2014, 07:44
Well here are a few more reviews for Original Sin from the last two weeks.

Pixelgate - No Score

Original Sin’s production values are pretty slick. The visuals are vibrant and reflect the tones of the game nicely. Character modes and environments are packed with detail consistent with the world. When the spells are flying, the visuals take on a new life. Explosives colours burst into life, the audio sings proudly, it all feeds into the end experience.
The Koalition - 94/100

It is indeed, a “Old-school CRPG with new ideas and modern execution.” If you can get excited about any part of that phrase, I recommend Divinity: Original Sin as a game that you will truly love and I hope that it sets a trend for future titles.
MMO Games - 3.5/5

The beautiful isometric artistic styling and complex turn-based mechanics pay a great homage to the games of old, but there are plenty of newer RPGs that simply do everything better.
IllGaming - 9.5/10

Divinity: Original Sin is an exceptional RPG that brings quite a few new things to the table and gets its formula perfect to keep you hooked for hours on end. It’s one of those games that have all the markings of a Classic.
Gamebanshee - No Score

Still, while you shouldn't necessarily believe that Original Sin is the best thing since sliced bread, it's still a worthwhile purchase. The campaign offers 100 hours of content (which will only grow larger once modders sink their teeth into the game), there are some good puzzles and fun quests, and the combat engine is unique and interesting.
Larian also released patch 1.0.130 today on Steam.

This update mostly brings some overdue fixes on the code and balancing side of things, although there are some small improvements to UI as well. Several story and ganeplay fixes have also been incorporated. We've also done some re-balancing in the Dark Forrest area, which should hopefully make things a little more difficult.
More information.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls."- The Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 22nd, 2014, 07:44
I'm an outspoken fanboy of D:OS and I agree with this sentence from The Koalition:

Original Sin as a game that you will truly love and I hope that it sets a trend for future titles.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

+1:

August 22nd, 2014, 12:01
The trend I hope for is it's outstanding UI that puts a shame on games that were developed with hundreds of millions, postrelease support, polish and additional free content that can't be more perfect (okay, CDpr started this really, but Larian pushed it forward), returning many puzzles to the genre as, let's be real, RPG lovers are not stupid and we actually *can* solve puzzles unlike, well, you know. Area "management" like in this game is something I've never seen elsewhere and I definetly want more of it!
Last but not least, after a few recent games (endless respawns and saving only on checkpoints) I was very happy to see Larian ditched that cretinism and made a proper game powersurgeproof.

I didn't like new music scores, pixelhunting (highlight only on pickables, not on useables), lack of handplaced loot and too easy to get great gear (pushing up crafting early). That trend shouldn't continue.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2014, 12:47
Is the game finished yet? I'm waiting for the full Party NPC's.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

August 22nd, 2014, 13:09
The game was finished when it was released. Never heard of full party NPCs - your party size depends on a certain talent.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2014, 14:03
I recall reading that full companions that talk to you or some such would be added later. Since this is something I enjoyed in Baldur's gate I decided to wait. Are these companions in now then?

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

August 22nd, 2014, 14:25
Is nice to see Original Sin doing well, better chances of a Divinity 3 in the future, wrapping the Divine story (and the Dragon Knight too)

gandalf.nho

Huntress

August 22nd, 2014, 14:41
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I recall reading that full companions that talk to you or some such would be added later. Since this is something I enjoyed in Baldur's gate I decided to wait. Are these companions in now then?

Daniel.
Two recruitable NPCs that speak/have personal quests are already in the game. Two more are coming up next. There are a lot of non-speaking henchmen in the game (for each taste).

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2014, 15:20
The game was a lot of fun to play but it also has a lot of flaws and stuff. I could over look the flaws when I played because as i said it was a lot of fun; but I kind of wish they would go back and tighten up the story and stuff.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

August 22nd, 2014, 15:56
I'm looking forward to playing this when all the companions are in, but I'd never give money in advance again. Hopefully the alarm goes off soon for a fully cooked product.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 22nd, 2014, 15:58
I'm about 100hrs in— about 2/3rd through, and enjoying it quite a bit still. It'd be near-perfect if the writing were more sincere and not so nauseatingly lighthearted. There's a time and a place for that, I just don't think it's for a game like this.

I'm also starting to notice more and more bugs the further I get, which I guess is expected (most folks won't playtest that far), and it seems their patches now may be doing as much damage as what they fix… But nothing game-breaking yet.

ChaosTheory

Sentinel

August 22nd, 2014, 16:44
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'm looking forward to playing this when all the companions are in, but I'd never give money in advance again. Hopefully the alarm goes off soon for a fully cooked product.
We really need a "thumb down" option for posts like this. The game was complete on release, everything else is nice to have.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

+1:

August 22nd, 2014, 16:54
MMO Gamer - "but there are plenty of newer RPGs that simply do everything better."

Really? Plenty of RPGs? Do they mean modern MMOs?
But this conclusion is hardly surprising from such site.

Farflame

Watchdog

August 22nd, 2014, 17:03
I'm about 15 hours in with a party of four (My wizard, cleric + two companions) and are at around level 6. Whilst it'd certainly be great to have larger party configuration options, I'm really having a blast just taking my time to learn the game with the almost meditative pace that I'm playing at. I really like having to be careful encounter wise and the agency the game gives the player to think for themselves about what to do next has been great.

The pleasure of discovery during exploration is high and the interactive environments make combat planning very fun and interesting. Playing with the elements makes one feel not unlike an ancient alchemist. Whilst I'd agree with ChaosTheory in that the writing has been a little flippant and silly at times, but it's also been charming and good natured on the whole.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

+1:

August 22nd, 2014, 17:26
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Two recruitable NPCs that speak/have personal quests are already in the game. Two more are coming up next. There are a lot of non-speaking henchmen in the game (for each taste).
Ah cheers, yep that's what I'm waiting for, once they are all added and the game is complete, I will give it a whirl.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

August 22nd, 2014, 18:34
The German magazine "Gamestar" also has an review of the game - don't remember the score, though, because I didn't buy the mag yet.

Editors comment was like : "That's how an RPG should look like !
And sad that only Indies do games like this nowadays ! And not the RPG industry !"

Edit :

New small Patch :

12:51
Hotfix version 1.0.132
Community Announcements - Larian_Octaaf
Hi everyone,

We kept a close eye on your feedback on the latest patch and have put the following hotfixes live:

HP Bug on loading

Changes to resistance cap that were supposed to be in the patch but did not make it in (zombie talent fix, can go over cap with potions and temporary effects)

We apologize for the inconvenience and if you have any more issues directly linked to the patch, please let us know.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 22nd, 2014, 18:46
Finished my game just in time. The Larian patch is putting a cap on resistance (80%). I worked hard getting my resistances to near 100 % at the end game. I saved a bunch of stuff and had to organize it for my whole party and those efforts took hundreds of hours. I deserved to be the God that I became (or returned to). . .

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

August 22nd, 2014, 20:45
The open beta (early access) only included the first area; so the later areas did not get as much testiing (as you noted) but tthat is because only their QA tested those areas. The fan did a better job testing than QA

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I'm about 100hrs in— about 2/3rd through, and enjoying it quite a bit still. It'd be near-perfect if the writing were more sincere and not so nauseatingly lighthearted. There's a time and a place for that, I just don't think it's for a game like this.

I'm also starting to notice more and more bugs the further I get, which I guess is expected (most folks won't playtest that far), and it seems their patches now may be doing as much damage as what they fix… But nothing game-breaking yet.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2014, 00:12
Originally Posted by Dajjer View Post
Finished my game just in time. The Larian patch is putting a cap on resistance (80%). I worked hard getting my resistances to near 100 % at the end game. I saved a bunch of stuff and had to organize it for my whole party and those efforts took hundreds of hours. I deserved to be the God that I became (or returned to). . .
Say what??? Glad I didn't wait to play then, I loved it when my guys got healed by lava in the end game. Stupid "fix" if you ask me.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

August 23rd, 2014, 00:15
I'll wait a few years for the director's cut and I will give them my money only if they implement the day- night circle that they promised in KS campaign.

griniaris

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Original Sin - Review Roundup #6