|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Pillars of Eternity Gamescom Presentation

Default RPGWatch Feature - Pillars of Eternity Gamescom Presentation

August 23rd, 2014, 00:05
Last week I was at Gamescom and one of the meetings was with Josh Sawyer and Adam Brennecke for Pillars of Eternity. They walked me through the backer beta in 30 minutes. In this article you can find what it was they said about the game.

The backer beta starts in the village of Dyrford, it is a side area in the game and not plot critical. The village is built on top of an old settlement and comes with a dungeon below it. In the village there is a backer defined inn, named The Dracogen Inn, where we find the barman Dengler, named after one of their backers, to rent a room for sleeping. Compared to the Inifinity Engine games, sleeping works differently in PoE. They wanted to make sure the inns in PoE were a bit more compelling to use. As a result your party will get a long term buff when sleeping in one of the better bedrooms of the inn and the more exclusive your room, the better the buff. You can also sleep everywhere outside of an inn if you have camping equipment in your inventory. Sleeping outside is safe and will not get you attacked but will remove any buff you received from sleeping at the inn. They feel this makes sleeping more about the strategic choices of using limited camping resources and not about a random chance of being attacked.
As in the Infinitty Engine games, sleeping restores all your health and the spells you might have used.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2014, 00:05
Argh!

I only have to be strong for a few more hours, and then I will have succeeded in not paying an extra $25 for a game I've already paid $25 for.

There is no possibility of my suddenly giving in to impatience at the last moment.

No… possibility…

Argh!

Gotta find and kill my shadow self // Gotta dig up every secret seashell

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2014, 00:15
Don't waste $25 on the current beta, unless you like buggy incomplete stuff (the beta is a chunk of the game). You'll get the whole game stable and not-so-buggy in a few months.

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

August 23rd, 2014, 00:21
Well the last update pretty much says the beta has nothing to do with the final product. I might give it a try just to see how it looks, and I hate playing Betas.

Spoiler – Last Update

Update: Thanks for the article Myrthos though we missed a few typos, and the complainers can go to hell on other sites. So keep up the good work.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 24th, 2014 at 02:10.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2014, 00:38
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
In addition to the character you make, you will start with a list of four pre-made, intentionally (extremely) generic party members: BB Fighter, BB Rogue, BB Priest, and BB Wizard.
I mentally ran through a short but spicy list of "BB" phrases before realizing that this stood for "Backer Beta Wizard" rather than "Big Booty Wizard" or the like.

RedSocialKnight

the stronger, slower one
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2014, 00:40
Originally Posted by RedSocialKnight View Post
I mentally ran through a short but spicy list of "BB" phrases before realizing that this stood for "Backer Beta Wizard" rather than "Big Booty Wizard" or the like.
I can see it happening but you must have a dirty mind.

Either that or maybe you played to many Bethesda mods.

Hint: (Better Body mods)

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

August 23rd, 2014, 02:45
Glad it all worked out!

LiamEsler

Traveler

August 23rd, 2014, 03:16
Good read, thanks! This explains a great deal about the content of the beta. I gave it a quick go the other day and was fairly confused. Perhaps they should've added some of the info from this article as a disclaimer the first time the backer beta is opened?

That being said: The engine is already very smooth and the areas look great. They should probably tweak the combat a bit, and perhaps add some ambient sounds so it doesn't feel quite as empty, but it is certainly well on its way.

Now I just have to spend some time figuring out the stats, classes and what not, as there are a lot of options.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

August 23rd, 2014, 05:06
Originally Posted by RedSocialKnight View Post
Argh!

I only have to be strong for a few more hours, and then I will have succeeded in not paying an extra $25 for a game I've already paid $25 for.

There is no possibility of my suddenly giving in to impatience at the last moment.

No… possibility…

Argh!
I've spent $77 and was soooo tempted today as well to spent another $25…. But then I told myself - finish some games that you have already in your GOG and Steam account and stop whinging… Plus XMas 2014 looks sweet already and there will be plenty of good games and spare time

xep624

Watchdog

August 23rd, 2014, 19:57
Hard to wait for the end of the year. Looks great

max killen

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Pillars of Eternity Gamescom Presentation