|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Traditional quest/story RPG?

Default Traditional quest/story RPG?

April 7th, 2014, 13:17
Im having a nostalgy fit for good old games like Silver, Technomage and Soulbringer where there is a non linear (but not open) world that revolves around a central story/quest and not small unrelated quests (like elder scrolls). Anyone knows some games that fit this genre? Im happy that we have open world RPGs that give us freedom but i feel these kind of games were forgotten of

RPGfreak

Watcher

April 7th, 2014, 13:35
Did you play Betrayal at Krondor ? Might be too old for you by todays standard, but it is a great such a game.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

April 7th, 2014, 14:20
It's BaT definetly, but skip the "sequel" Betrayal at Antara as it's "let's milk the BoT recipe" below average crap.
Return to Krondor is however linear and although it's still a good game, it's simply not good enough as Betrayal at Krondor was.

I also believe Gothic series (first three games, not the fourth and linear Arkania) will fit into it not just by being nonlinear and story driven but also by being open world.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 7th, 2014, 15:25
Dragon Age: Origins seems to fit this mold as well.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 8th, 2014, 11:05
Ill check all of these out!

By the way, all these games also shared some interesting physics (to me anyway…). Silver and Soulbringer had a unique physics combat where you perform special attacks like jabs, slashes or undercuts and they had to physically hit the enemy. Also you could parry and block, so if any of you know of games that fit this description, share them with me

RPGfreak

Watcher

April 8th, 2014, 11:32
Originally Posted by RPGfreak View Post

By the way, all these games also shared some interesting physics (to me anyway…). Silver and Soulbringer had a unique physics combat where you perform special attacks like jabs, slashes or undercuts and they had to physically hit the enemy. Also you could parry and block, so if any of you know of games that fit this description, share them with me
Sounds like you want the Gothic series (1-3 at least). Beware that Gothic's controls take some getting used to. They are not bad, just very different.

Another option would be Two Worlds. It's not a stellar game, but I enjoyed it (just for the love of all that is holy, get the PC version, not the console version, as that one is broken beyond all belief).

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

April 9th, 2014, 10:42
Soulbringer had an unique combomaking system, sorry, I don't remember seeing something even similar elsewhere.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 11th, 2014, 19:35
I throw in Drakensang 2, just in case.
Even although it doesn't quite fit into the requirements.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 12th, 2014, 01:19
I'm not following… a game that revolves around a main quest, not a bunch of small, unrelated quests like Elder Scrolls? The Elder Scrolls games sure had a bunch of one-off quests but it also had a big main quest plus side stories with several quests in them - definitely not small and unrelated.

Would Final Fantasy 7 fit the bill?

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

April 12th, 2014, 02:44
Originally Posted by RPGfreak View Post

unique physics combat based around one story. Not heavy story for sure but one main quest with lore and atmosphere aplenty.

That sounds like dark souls, if you dare.

If you dont want that much difficulty then dark messiah of might and magic has unique fighting and one story. Pretty linear though but that didn't bother me.

sakichop

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Traditional quest/story RPG?