|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hellgate London - Impressions @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Default Hellgate London - Impressions @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

October 4th, 2007, 20:03
Rock, Paper Shotgun's Kieron Gillan gives a down to earth summary of his impressions of Flagship's soon to be released action rpg Hellgate: London:
Firstly, while thereís moments of post-apocalyptic chic to it, it lacks atmosphere. I suspect the problem comes from a couple of places. Number one is that itís only acceptably attractive and - in a few areas - seems even regressive… It looks pretty good for an RPG, of courseÖ but the second you make an RPG which moves like an FPS, youíre moving into their territory and end up being compared to them. Hellgate comes off badly in such a comparison…
…Number two, itís a role-playing game thatís just completely capitulated to massively-multiplayer conventions. While the main arc of the story is a proper narrative, when I hit the first communal area I walked away with a half-dozen quests to go to X bit of the underground and kill Y number of Z monster (Or go to X bit of the underground and get Y objects. Oh yeah - you get Y objects by killing Z monster). Yes, each quest will take you to a randomly generated instanceÖ but it feels completely artificial, as if Flagship just werenít trying to think of ways to hide these time-sink grind mechanisms…
….Hellgate, from what Iíve seen so far, isnít a bad game by any measure. But this year has been a frankly incredible year for PC games and when compared to its peers, and against all enormous expectations, itís not beyond the realms of possibility that Hellgate may be the seasonís first genuine disappointment.
More information.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

October 4th, 2007, 20:03
Less then glowing, but maybe the end game is where the game will excell?

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 4th, 2007, 20:08
But this year has been a frankly incredible year for PC games and when compared to its peers
Uhm. Is he taking extacy?

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

October 4th, 2007, 20:17
Maybe he knows something about Frank we don't know.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

October 4th, 2007, 21:34
Maybe it will sell only 3 million copies instead of 5 million. I don't know, I have been playing on my brother- inlaws account and it delivers so far. It does have a more MMORPG feel to it than a game like Sacred or Diablo but maybe thats because the beta is not giving us any of the single player story so far only multiplayer

redman5427

Keeper of the Watch

October 5th, 2007, 01:16
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Maybe he knows something about Frank we don't know.
Rock paper Shotgun usually doesn't know what they are talking about.

Unregistered

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Hellgate London - Impressions @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun