|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher » Will you be importing The Witcher?

Default Will you be importing The Witcher?

October 25th, 2007, 05:19
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post

Similarly, it's quite possible that someone who's already seriously disturbed will be pushed over the edge by a really bad session of multiplayer Team Fortress 2. Does that mean we should ban Team Fortress 2?

I don't think so.

What we should do is try to do something about the seriously disturbed people once we recognize that they're seriously disturbed. Restricting everybody else's freedoms in order to stop the disturbed people from getting more disturbed is not the right solution.

What do you think?
I couldn't agree more. Restricting freedoms to provide some false pretense of safety or security is not a good thing. Personal responsibility and accountability are good things.
StackSmasher is offline

StackSmasher

StackSmasher's Avatar
Crazy UNIX guy

#121

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA
Posts: 63

Default 

October 25th, 2007, 09:18
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Yep, dead for me too. I'm guessing it's anatomically correct Johnny Holmes and Jenna Jameson skins for Sims2, demonstrating that even the most innocent game can be corrupted by naughty children badly in need of a little corporal punishment.
Sims is so good that playboy actually made a porn version of it called the: "the mansion". Playboy is infact pushing for games industry. They even have game related nude models or somthing.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#122

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,968

Default 

October 25th, 2007, 22:22
@Jabber: From where I'm sitting, you're now engaging in the well-worn tactic of subtly changing your position. I objected to your claim that violent media were, in some cases, a direct and primary cause of criminally violent behavior, which I called horse-pucky on. There is no proof that this is true. Never has been. Your example of the fascination some deviants have with porn is a common, backwards-logic fallacy. You're trying to create a causal relationship from a circumstance. Worse, it creates a dangerous diversion that takes attention and energy away from the real challenge: recognizing and dealing effectively with people that become increasingly disconnected from their families and communities until they are in danger of crossing the line into sociopathic behavior, before they cross that line.

Now you're saying that we're all madly calling for a society that enforces no restrictions or regulations on itself. Don't be ridiculous. Of course there is an obligation to provide for the common good and safety. For instance, I see nothing wrong with game ratings. In fact, they are NOT censorship, but a good way for governments to help their people make better judgments about what is and is not appropriate for their children. But this was not your original point. You were not defending the rating system. You were saying that less violent media is better since it sometimes causes criminal violence. And that, I'm afraid, is completely unsubstantiated nonsense.
chamr is offline

chamr

chamr's Avatar
Mounted Highborn

#123

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 850

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 06:07
I'm sorry that you want to continue chamr, because I for one am done with this discussion. I have not backpedaled, nor do I intend to. I don't understand how you can say the idea that less violent media is better since it…. wait… what I think you meant to say regarding my stand, was that less violent media is better since it sometimes may curtail criminal violence. Yes, that's what I believe, and I don't understand how anyone can believe that is unsubstantiated nonsense? Numerous psychological experiments have proven the effects of outside influences on thought patterns and decision making. For instance there was an experiment on the influence of music on customers' decisions to purchase certain brands of wine. When a store played German music, customers (no doubt oblivious to the influence) purchased German wine, when French music played, they followed suit with French wine.

The type of proof you evidentally are looking for doesn't exist, because we can't read peoples' minds! Sure there is no way to know all of the ins and outs of a killer's brain and what makes him tick, but if it has been documented and observed that certain influences cause certain reactions (e.g. the wine experiment), what part about this is so hard for you to believe?

As far as the ratings system goes, I think it's total bunk. I gaurantee it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to 99.9% of adult gamers, and barely makes a difference to "discerning parents." And that goes back to the whole 'parents as mentors' idea. While there are diligent parents fulfilling their roles well, like dte no doubt, I have also seen plenty of children in R rated movies, and plenty of children renting R rated videos, and buying M rated games with their parents. Heck, we buy 'em toy guns when they're barely old enough to walk and teach 'em how to shoot the 'bad guys'! Sure it's the parents responsibility, and their right to decide what's best for their children, but considering what i believe to be compelling evidence that these things can can influence children negatively, I think that it puts society at greater risk than if these things were simply not available. Do I want to play the Witcher? Sure! Do I think the world would be a safer place without it and 500,000 other violent games out there? YES.

See what you made me do? And I was so ready to quit…

I said good day!

BTW… Where's Codex Mo been? Isn't this sort of discussion right up his alley?

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#124

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 06:12
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
As far as the ratings system goes, I think it's total bunk. I gaurantee it doesn't make any difference whatsoever to 99.9% of adult gamers, and barely makes a difference to "discerning parents."
The folks who make The Witcher seem to think the ratings matter. Isn't that why they're adjusting the content?
Squeek is offline

Squeek

Squeek's Avatar
connoisseur of tidbits

#125

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,807

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 07:33
I agree about it not making a difference to the majority of adult gamers though. Seriously, how often do you consciously look at a games parental rating?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#126

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 08:16
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
When a store played German music, customers (no doubt oblivious to the influence) purchased German wine, when French music played, they followed suit with French wine.
Poor example, we're not exactly talking about wine here. And AFAIK The Witcher is Polish.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
The type of proof you evidentally are looking for doesn't exist, because we can't read peoples' minds!
Well we're not exactly in the dark either. Phsychology has made major advances in the last 100 years. Instead of playing amateur psychologist yourself maybe you should ask some experts and listen what they have to say.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Sure there is no way to know all of the ins and outs of a killer's brain and what makes him tick…
Certainly not violent videogames/movies. Someone who is stimulated into committing a crime after playing a videogame/watching a movie is equally likely to be stimulated by any of 1,000,000 other daily perceptions, be as simple as a provocatively dressed lady or you looking at him the wrong way or as complex as studying the biographies of certain personalities in history books. As chamr already pointed out those are symptoms, not the cause.

According to your logic, we should immediately ban 'The Silence of the Lambs'. Instead we awarded it with 5 Oscars and 34 other prizes.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Do I think the world would be a safer place without it and 500,000 other violent games out there? YES.
In fact totalitarian regimes with strict censorship and a near-zero crime rate have been known to exist. The problem is that when they eventually explode, the body count is so high that you can't justify any of the sacrifices made.

As to what would make the world a safer place? IMHO better educated people would.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
I weep for the species.
Sure.

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#127

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 14:03
Jabber: Ratings mattered for me as a kid, as I knew that I might get something with too complex mechanics if I went for something recommended for those five years older than me So ratings can be a helpful guideline if grounded in reality…

Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon View Post
In fact totalitarian regimes with strict censorship and a near-zero crime rate have been known to exist. The problem is that when they eventually explode, the body count is so high that you can't justify any of the sacrifices made..
Couldnt agree more. Not only that, but one could argue that such regimes are committing acts against the citizens that would be criminal if other citizens were the perpetrators, like locking up or shooting people who are in disagreement.
Zaleukos is offline

Zaleukos

Zaleukos's Avatar
Bum

#128

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,864

Default 

October 26th, 2007, 23:36
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
I'm sorry that you want to continue chamr, because I for one am done with this discussion.
Sorry. Wasn't aware of that. I'll make this my last post then…

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Numerous psychological experiments have proven the effects of outside influences on thought patterns and decision making. For instance there was an experiment on the influence of music on customers' decisions to purchase certain brands of wine. When a store played German music, customers (no doubt oblivious to the influence) purchased German wine, when French music played, they followed suit with French wine.
Influence is not cause. You claimed cause in the beginning. Now you claim simple influence. A pretty significant shift in your position.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
The type of proof you evidentally are looking for doesn't exist, because we can't read peoples' minds! Sure there is no way to know all of the ins and outs of a killer's brain and what makes him tick, but if it has been documented and observed that certain influences cause certain reactions (e.g. the wine experiment), what part about this is so hard for you to believe?
Of course I believe in the concept of influence. See my previous post on cause. And, by the way, there is plenty of proof in that there have been many studies on causal relationships in violent behavior, and not one has found that violent media is a direct or primary cause for criminally violent behavior. While absence of proof is not necessarily a proof in itself, I believe with the amount of research on the subject done at this point, we can be reasonably assured that there is no, direct causal link from violent mediat to criminally violent behavior.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
… and barely makes a difference to "discerning parents." And that goes back to the whole 'parents as mentors' idea. While there are diligent parents fulfilling their roles well, like dte no doubt, I have also seen plenty of children in R rated movies, and plenty of children renting R rated videos, and buying M rated games with their parents. Heck, we buy 'em toy guns when they're barely old enough to walk and teach 'em how to shoot the 'bad guys'!
This is gross overstatement. What evidence, beyond your own, anecdotal variety, can you point to that says the rating systems is failure in helping parents make decisions on which media are appropriate for their children? And are you suggesting that because you've seen children in an R-rated movie that this means most parents are abdicating their responsibilities? Or even a significant number?

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Sure it's the parents responsibility, and their right to decide what's best for their children, but considering what i believe to be compelling evidence that these things can can influence children negatively, I think that it puts society at greater risk than if these things were simply not available.
Again, having a negative influence on children and putting society at large in greater danger is a huge leap to make. Huge.

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Do I want to play the Witcher? Sure! Do I think the world would be a safer place without it and 500,000 other violent games out there? YES.
The government-driven effort to censor in any broad manner is doomed to fail, as so many attempts in the past should instruct us. It is impossible for a government to effectively draw the line. How much is too much? How much is too little? Who decides?

Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
I said good day!
I said, GOOD DAY! ahh…. I LOVE that movie….
chamr is offline

chamr

chamr's Avatar
Mounted Highborn

#129

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 850

Default 

October 28th, 2007, 03:45
Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon View Post
Poor example, we're not exactly talking about wine here. And AFAIK The Witcher is Polish.
You're right, I should have referenced an experiment that didn't just use audible influences, but SIGHT as well, since we are talking about a game that you see hear, and interact with. I'm sure that would be much less influencing than just hearing music, don't you?

And I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were so literal minded so as to not understand that I was relating a real world experiment that happened to involve German and French wines, and is in no way associated with the make-believe world of The Witcher. But if it makes you feel better we can change it to Polish wine, 'kay?

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#130

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

October 28th, 2007, 04:30
Originally Posted by chamr View Post
Influence is not cause. You claimed cause in the beginning. Now you claim simple influence. A pretty significant shift in your position.
If that's what you are concluding, then I guess I really didn't make myself clear in previous posts. I am and have always been talking about influence(s). Perhaps what you are referring regarding my posts, is that I believe that all of these influences, whatever they may be, can eventually add up to an action, and therefore those influences become a 'cause.' Perhaps there can't be any single distinguishing cause psychologically identified, but everything adds up.

Take a person that gives in to road rage and pulls a gun on the other driver involved. Did that one incident make him do that? Probably not, it may have been the 15 other drivers that cut him off that morning, maybe he just got fired, maybe etc…. Those are all events, or 'things', that influenced his irrational behaviour. What I am suggesting is that playing a game in which a person acts out violence could also be one of those influences, and seems likely to me given that since such a game invariably triggers aggressive responses. Now of course I agree that a person would have to have psychological troubles to begin with to do something that stupid, or 'crazy' if you will, and I've said that all along. But maybe he wouldn't have been pushed over that fragile limit if he hadn't already gotten used to pulling guns out in a fantasy world. Of course such a piece of the causal equation is immeasurable, I understand that. I'm just trying to get you to see that it is possible.


Originally Posted by chamr View Post
Of course I believe in the concept of influence. See my previous post on cause. And, by the way, there is plenty of proof in that there have been many studies on causal relationships in violent behavior, and not one has found that violent media is a direct or primary cause for criminally violent behavior. While absence of proof is not necessarily a proof in itself, I believe with the amount of research on the subject done at this point, we can be reasonably assured that there is no, direct causal link from violent mediat to criminally violent behavior.
And again, I think that's where our misunderstanding lies… I never intended to sound like I was asserting that little johnny plays a bad video game and instantly has the urge to shoot somebody.

Originally Posted by chamr View Post
This is gross overstatement. What evidence, beyond your own, anecdotal variety, can you point to that says the rating systems is failure in helping parents make decisions on which media are appropriate for their children? And are you suggesting that because you've seen children in an R-rated movie that this means most parents are abdicating their responsibilities? Or even a significant number?
Of course I qualified my "gross overstatement" by prefacing it with the phrase "I think." And yes, I stand by that statement concerning parents. I don't mean to insult any parents here or anyone who feels their parents did a good job in raising them.. but I sincerely do feel that a significant number of parents are not doing a good job in raising children to become responsible adults. My feelings are not based on a single event or observation like you are suggesting.

Originally Posted by chamr View Post
Again, having a negative influence on children and putting society at large in greater danger is a huge leap to make. Huge.
What exactly do you think makes up "society at large"? Is "society at large" a mass of people who were never children once and who were never exposed to harmful influence?

And I think the key word here is "greater". I agree - greater, not great. I never (thought) I implied that the world was going to implode because of too many video games.

Originally Posted by chamr View Post
The government-driven effort to censor in any broad manner is doomed to fail, as so many attempts in the past should instruct us. It is impossible for a government to effectively draw the line. How much is too much? How much is too little? Who decides?
I couldn't agree more, but unlike you (apparently) I feel that the world situation is getting worse, and that's the reason I said earlier "I weep for the species."

I've tried to be as clear as possible in this post on where I stand. I don't expect you or anyone else to agree, as I can't fathom your reasoning and you can't fathom mine. but there's no need for insults, or for this particular conversation to continue any longer. I hope that any negative feelings from this thread will not spill over into others.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#131

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

October 30th, 2007, 17:33
As I mentioned in a reply in the thread at the codex, I'll be importing the UK version myself as I have no interest whatsoever in fundamentalist christian religious thumper nutcase censoring, especially if the only things that they are going to bother to censor are TV, radio, movies, and games while ignoring all other forms of media.

EDIT:
Decided to edit this a little further as to specifics, I HIGHLY doubt that they just censored nipples, as I fully expect any text/dialog/etc. that would also be objectionable to that same fascist group will also be censored. Hell, if I spoke polish, I'd order the Polish version just to make sure that I got the REALLY full game, as also, on the codex thread, there was mention that the Polish version apparently has additional text/dialog relating to the books and implied that they were cut from other versions.

Damned thumpers are every bit as bad as psychotic muslims.

EDIT2:
OK, the censorship comment MAY be off as this is not censorship by any sort of legsilative decree or ratings board governing but it IS willing censorship by the publisher to achieve a particular rating, and so ends up overall in the gaming community as a de facto censorship policy to appease the fundamentalist christian demographic.

Zima:
Catholicism, remember ALL things in moderation. Catholicism has ALWAYS been pretty liberal for a large organized religion, well wrt most things although they do have persnickety and annoying stands based in their morality on some endeavors.
Last edited by cutterjohn; October 30th, 2007 at 17:56.
cutterjohn is offline

cutterjohn

Sentinel

#132

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 259

Default 

October 30th, 2007, 21:15
Originally Posted by cutterjohn View Post
As I mentioned in a reply in the thread at the codex, I'll be importing the UK version myself as I have no interest whatsoever in fundamentalist christian religious thumper nutcase censoring, especially if the only things that they are going to bother to censor are TV, radio, movies, and games while ignoring all other forms of media.
Thing to remember - no one censored The Witcher except for Atari. This is not like Manhunt 2 where they were threatened with AO in the US and outright banning elsewhere, which meant commercial death .. and chose to tweak for rating. The Witcher was never threatened with anything, it was self-initiated.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#133

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

October 31st, 2007, 00:11
I'm not going to take the time to read this entire thread, I just want to ask a question.

Has it been confirmed as fact that the US version will definitely be censored?
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#134

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 17,446

Default 

October 31st, 2007, 00:44
Yes. Someone posted this link to a thread on the game's official forums with details.
Squeek is offline

Squeek

Squeek's Avatar
connoisseur of tidbits

#135

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,807

Default 

October 31st, 2007, 02:59
I'm really upset at censorship. I thought the M rated US game was untouched since an age minimum comes with the rating. Thanks for telling us that the M rating was altered, I got the Import after cancelling the US version.
Being told what to read or not is one of many issues about our freedom(s) here. I expected more national debate but times have changed and the rage is silent. This thread is about a symptom of a possible New Dark Age.
sealight4 is offline

sealight4

Watcher

#136

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 34

Default 

October 31st, 2007, 17:08
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Thing to remember - no one censored The Witcher except for Atari. This is not like Manhunt 2 where they were threatened with AO in the US and outright banning elsewhere, which meant commercial death .. and chose to tweak for rating. The Witcher was never threatened with anything, it was self-initiated.
c.f. EDIT2
cutterjohn is offline

cutterjohn

Sentinel

#137

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 259

Default 

November 1st, 2007, 10:51
I have a question about the import versions. For instance, if i ordered the game thru the UK site. Is the game in English? Or are the subtitles in English? If i order the import version, i want to make sure that i can understand the dialogue. Thanks.
DarNoor is offline

DarNoor

Sentinel

#138

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 379

Default 

November 1st, 2007, 11:39
They do speak English in the UK, so yes, it will be in English.
Prime Junta is offline

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

#139

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,540

Default 

November 1st, 2007, 12:24
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
They do speak English in the UK, so yes, it will be in English.
You call that English?!?!

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#140

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Witcher Games » The Witcher » Will you be importing The Witcher?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:57.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch