|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - In House Preview @ Voodoo Extreme

Default The Witcher - In House Preview @ Voodoo Extreme

October 24th, 2007, 20:13
Voodoo Extreme has posted a lengthy preview of CdProjekt's rpg, The Witcher, covering it feature by feature in a multimedia format:
With European and North American builds installed we delved into the world of The Witcher for an exclusive hands-on preview that includes twelve High Definition gameplay movies, 80 odd screenshots, impressions, and two 'making of' movies.
This is a hands on preview, so expect some SPOILERS
You can view the preview here.

Thanks to leth for pointing this out in the forums.
More information.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

October 24th, 2007, 20:13
In the immortal words of Crush the tortoise in "Finding Nemo": "Righteous!! RIGHTEOUS!!!"

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 24th, 2007, 20:34
Watch video:
Dialogue with dwarven blacksmith
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/videos/latest/

If you click on Polish flage (red&white ) you can also see Polish version and e.g. compare voices. Well in Polish is more sarcastic and not every line is translated into English:
e.g. in English when dwarf was talking about gallows especially for dwarves, Geralt asked: "What was special about them?"
"Nothing. But all extra wood can be used to make other goods" in Polish version dwarf added: "like litlle wood swords for kids".

zima98

Watchdog

October 24th, 2007, 22:25
This "preview" is one in name only. Considering the amount of multimedia content, for a gamer trying to decide whether or not to purchase, I would call this a "review." Because If a person isn't decided on whether or not to get this game after watching all this then they have serious decision making problems!

The only faults I can give it are 1) lip synchs are horribly off still - hopefully a patch will address that. 2) The plethora of loading screens will get annoying very fast when you are in the city. Still, if that's what it takes for a smooth game engine then I can live with that.

Everything else looks better than fantastic.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 24th, 2007, 23:15
Originally Posted by zima98 View Post
Watch video:
Dialogue with dwarven blacksmith
http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/videos/latest/
If you click on Polish flage (red&white ) you can also see Polish version and e.g. compare voices.
Just did. While Geralt's English dubbing is not that bad when judged in its own merit, is pathetic compared to the Polish one.

English voice actor : Trying very hard to sound tough = I'm really, really weak, no really.

Polish voice actor : Flawless! (Who is he BTW? Let me guess, a national star?)

Not that it would matter to most gamers, most games have awful dubbing anyway.

not every line is translated into English … in Polish version dwarf added: "like litlle wood swords for kids".
You think that might be part of Atari's censorship program? I'm beginning to doubt that there is such thing as an 'uncut English version', or, let me rephrase, 'uncut Atari version' (taking into account other translations as well). After all, who knows how many mentally unstable kids would start constructing wooden swords and start killing people after hearing such a phrase We're saving lives here!!!

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel

October 24th, 2007, 23:30
Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon View Post
You think that might be part of Atari's censorship program? I'm beginning to doubt that there is such thing as an 'uncut English version', or, let me rephrase, 'uncut Atari version' (taking into account other translations as well). After all, who knows how many mentally unstable kids would start constructing wooden swords and start killing people after hearing such a phrase We're saving lives here!!!
The problem is that the developers are Poles. And by that I dont mean they are less profesional, but they feel more sure when adressing to people from their own culture. So they arent afraid of including some idioms, quotes and other links to polish mass-culture. And of course they know that most polish fans of the game read Sapkowskis books and they use that to their advantage(of course polish fans are gratified by that too).

Thats how I see it, but who knows maybe youre right Lethal Weapon.

nessosin

Watchdog

October 25th, 2007, 00:03
Polish voice actor : Flawless! (Who is he BTW? Let me guess, a national star?)
No, he is not. Known from one TV series, he's doing mostly in theater. But his voice matches our vision of Geralt just perfect .

Crolug

Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Crolug

October 25th, 2007, 00:49
Interesting that the translation isn't verbatim. That might explain some moments where I thought the dialogue formation or editing seemed a bit abrupt.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 25th, 2007, 09:59
In Eglish version mostly lack endings of senteces, also sometimes whole sentences. I think it was mostly done because they didn't want to record so many lines of dialoge as CDProject did for Polish version. So probably economic reason.

Onother example:
English:
"Why humans prosecuted non-humans?"
"Humans've always hated dwarves and elves"

Polish:
"And why *** goes into ***? (It's not vulgar, it sounds archaic and funny- but I have no idea how to translate it). That's natural order. Humans've always fighted with dwarves and elves. Not me who should decide who is to blame."

When dwarf explains who are squirrels and that they fight for rights of non-humans (in Polish adds: for you terrorists and instigators)

zima98

Watchdog

October 25th, 2007, 10:46
Damn, I want the Polish version with English subtitles. I bet there's no way to get that though…

KazikluBey

Sentinel

October 25th, 2007, 23:18
In Eglish version mostly lack endings of senteces, also sometimes whole sentences…

Onother example:
English:
"Humans've always hated dwarves and elves"

Polish:
"And why *** goes into ***? (It's not vulgar, it sounds archaic and funny- but I have no idea how to translate it). That's natural order. Humans've always fighted with dwarves and elves. Not me who should decide who is to blame."
You got to be kidding me. If I counted correctly they managed to convert a 27-word sentence to 7 words. That's a 4:1 compression ratio, better than 7z!

Originally Posted by KazikluBey View Post
Damn, I want the Polish version with English subtitles. I bet there's no way to get that though…
Well, you can always learn Polish

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel

October 26th, 2007, 10:55
You got to be kidding me. If I counted correctly they managed to convert a 27-word sentence to 7 words. That's a 4:1 compression ratio, better than 7z!
They probably also cut animation .

zima98

Watchdog

October 26th, 2007, 22:45
They probably also cut animation .
Sorry, I don't quite understand. You mean finishing moves, or what? And why do you say 'probably'?

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel

October 27th, 2007, 03:45
Not to take away his priveledge of answering, but I think zima probably meant they cut the animations that was necessary for those extra lines of dialogue that were cut. That would only make sense. I haven't heard anything being censored or edited other than nipples and the odd genitalia here and there.

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 27th, 2007, 03:51
Sorry if this has already been answered, but has there been any mention of a demo for The Witcher?

JDR13

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2007, 04:38
Sort of. No firm plans have been announced but it has been said the team would like to do it — after release and any important issues have been planned. Whether Atari agrees…?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 27th, 2007, 10:01
Sorry, I don't quite understand. You mean finishing moves, or what? And why do you say 'probably'?
I meant exactly what Jabberwocky wrote. Sorry for this shortcut in thinking. I think they just made dialoges shorter in English version, but I say probably because I can't compare whole two versions. It's just impresion from this dialoge with dwarf which I saw.

zima98

Watchdog

October 27th, 2007, 16:07
I read on the Polish boards some time ago that they plan an international demo closer to Christmas, but I don't have much time now so I won't search for a link…

Elwro

Filthy Codex Spy

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - In House Preview @ Voodoo Extreme