|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Depths of Peril Review

Default RPGWatch Feature: Depths of Peril Review

November 5th, 2007, 17:17
Soldak's indie action/RPG with a strategy twist might look like just another hack'n'slasher but this couldn't be further from the truth. Here's a snip from our Depths of Peril review:
A major part of the game is adding recruits to your covenant. Up to five recruits can join a covenant and any one of them can join you as an adventuring partner, while the others stay back at the house. Recruits can sometimes be found wandering the world, though more commonly they'll come into town and announce themselves available - but only if you successfully complete a quest (usually time limited) to win their favour. Having the best recruits makes a big difference in the early-mid game, and changes the flow of combat while adventuring, especially if you take a complementary class. Mage players who find a good warrior to take along, for example, can concentrate on spell slinging while warriors might appreciate a priest for the buffs and healing. The adventuring recruit can be swapped out at any time and an existing recruit can be kicked out of the covenant to make way for a better option; deciding whether to keep one partner or rotate recruits to build their experience in the field and mix up the gameplay is all part of the fun.
Read it here.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 5th, 2007, 17:17
I'm obviously biased, but this was a very, well written review. Thanks Dhruin and magerette.

Steven Peeler
lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril
http://www.soldak.com/

Steven Peeler

Watcher

November 5th, 2007, 20:24
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of reaction here. Well written review for a fun game.

KazikluBey

Sentinel

November 5th, 2007, 21:41
To be fair, I was a bit slow getting this out, so I guess a lot of people have read the previews, read the earlier reviews and played the demo.

Fantastic game - I'm not a big hack'n'slash player but I really loved this and I'll go back and play it from time to time between other "assignments". The covenant play completely changes how it all comes together.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 5th, 2007, 21:57
Never really understood hack'n slash games. Still, I liked the review. If only the major gaming sites delved into games with similar enthusiasm and wrote such indepth reviews. The RPGWatch features are very good otherwise too. Hope you post a review of The Witcher soon.

ironanno

Watcher

November 5th, 2007, 22:23
I really wish I had time to play this game … thanks for the wonderful review!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 7th, 2007, 15:27
You're probably wise to stay away from it for the moment , Mike. I saw your list—you'll never get all those reviews written with Puzzle Quest and this one on your machine.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

November 7th, 2007, 16:18
Meh, you don't need to write any reviews. What you really need to do is destroy a covenant or two.

Steven Peeler
lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril
http://www.soldak.com/

Steven Peeler

Watcher

November 15th, 2007, 18:11
Beta 1.004 patch is available

http://www.soldak.com/Depths-of-Peril/Patches.html

Dark Savant

Sentinel

November 28th, 2007, 05:39
I recently played the demo today and I am hooked. I actually liked this game much more than I thought I would. The A.I control of the other covenants is just awesome. Not to mention that even if your covenant gets destroyed you keep your recruits, and loot. I'm buying this one.

Black_Lord

Traveler

December 3rd, 2007, 05:04
Love the game.

Graphics/Story/Pretty-factor are Splendid…THE KILLER….I couldn't believe the ease to play—-forgiving—-easy to read—-follow—-learn-as-you-go.

Don't call it Diablo, DoP is fundamentally better.

I need to burn 2 days to relax, and I couldn't have chosen a better game. DoP always…and I mean…always…has some net twist to keep it entertaining and worth playing. It's not some cheaps ass game thrown together…it is worth the money.

Maximous

Traveler

December 3rd, 2007, 05:06
Originally Posted by Black_Lord View Post
I recently played the demo today and I am hooked. I actually liked this game much more than I thought I would. The A.I control of the other covenants is just awesome. Not to mention that even if your covenant gets destroyed you keep your recruits, and loot. I'm buying this one.
I couldn't believe how good it was. I'm just taking a breather before Dexter starts….again…totally glad to play DoP

Maximous

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Depths of Peril Review