|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Atari is dying?

Default Atari is dying?

November 13th, 2007, 13:40
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewi…yadded;title;1

It seems that Atari will have to close its bussiness.

zima98

Watchdog

November 13th, 2007, 13:49
AFAIK it's only Atari US that's in deep trouble. Personally I wouldn't 'worry' too much, worst thing it could happen would be for them to sell the Dragonballz license.

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel

November 13th, 2007, 14:02
Inforgames was in deep end before the namechange…they released crap like moo3..and then changed their name to atari to try to get a new cleaner image that has broader recognition. Too bad you cant fix stuff simply by calling it with different name.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

November 13th, 2007, 14:34
Atari's financial woes are pretty serious at this point. And if their partner Infogrames is not going to be able to bail them out as they have in the past, the only alternative seems to be for them to sell off assets, cut staff and budget and/or go belly up. My hope is that they sell the single most valuable thing they own—the D&D license-to someone that actually wants to make computer games with it. To me. Atari is a sad case of non-gamers trying to make money off something they have no real understanding of and alienating customer after customer. But that's just me.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

November 13th, 2007, 14:48
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
To me. Atari is a sad case of non-gamers trying to make money off something they have no real understanding of and alienating customer after customer. But that's just me.
No, it's not…

άbereil

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

H. L. Mencken

The Chaos Cascade

Ubereil

Keeper of the Watch

November 13th, 2007, 15:11
Is this news? It's been going on for the last 10+ years.

JDR13

SasqWatch

November 13th, 2007, 15:13
A licence garage sale could result in interesting new development projects. Master of Magic II is long, long, long overdue.

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

November 13th, 2007, 15:36
Originally Posted by MudsAnimalFriend View Post
A licence garage sale could result in interesting new development projects. Master of Magic II is long, long, long overdue.
Hear! Hear! Bring back MOM!

I wasn't aware that Atari owned the ghost of Microprose. I thought 2K had all that library (Pirates and Civ4 were both 2K releases).

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 13th, 2007, 15:54
Didn't Take 2 bought those two along with Firaxis a while back?

As for Atari dying - absolutely expected it and good riddance. Though they are one of the few remaining major publisher that actually publish RPGs that really have some degree RP quality to them.

Arma

Sentinel

November 13th, 2007, 18:48
I thought Sid Meier got his checks from 2K while Firaxis was Brian Reynolds. Or did Take 2 try to put the two wunderkinds back together?

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

November 13th, 2007, 19:45
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
To me. Atari is a sad case of non-gamers trying to make money off something they have no real understanding of and alienating customer after customer. But that's just me.
Actually, I have a similar, yet not so harsh feeling about EA, with the only difference that they still are able to squeeze enough money out of franchises until they bury them.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 13th, 2007, 19:50
Originally Posted by Ubereil
No, it's not…
What he, said.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

November 13th, 2007, 22:25
Civilization 3 Play the World comes to mind right about now. Civ fans may be the most loyal fans in all of PC gamedom, and they ripped 'em off, plain and simple.
Last edited by Squeek; November 13th, 2007 at 23:06.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

November 13th, 2007, 23:11
I'm not entirely sure they could sell the D&D license. Their rights expire soon and I'm hearing they may be behind in payments anyway — but I haven't checked the validity of this.

I'm not a fan of Atari but I would say they have shown (a little) more interest in RPGs than most major publishers, so be careful what you wish for…

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

November 13th, 2007, 23:37
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I'm not entirely sure they could sell the D&D license. Their rights expire soon and I'm hearing they may be behind in payments anyway — but I haven't checked the validity of this.

I'm not a fan of Atari but I would say they have shown (a little) more interest in RPGs than most major publishers, so be careful what you wish for…
I have to agree with you there. I don't think they are a cold bunch of non-gamers either, just a little clueless sometimes. Just look at the list of titles they put out and the absence of console games.

I'm certainly not against the company but they could something to improve their public relations. Hiring a person or team to do that would cost a few 100 thousand that they don't have.

Its not like there's a dirth of publishers anymore. If they go who's left, especially as the man says, who's interested in RPGs? EA? MS? Ubisoft? Strategy First?

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

November 14th, 2007, 00:02
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Its not like there's a dirth of publishers anymore. If they go who's left, especially as the man says, who's interested in RPGs? EA? MS? Ubisoft? Strategy First?
Another brick in the wall …. err … mosaic stone into the tendency towards smaller companies ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

November 14th, 2007, 00:03
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they gave the ToEE source code to the folks at Co8 as a parting gift?

chamr

Mounted Highborn

November 14th, 2007, 00:07
I don't particularly like Atari either, but compared to EA, they rock!! At least they support RPG's if not always to the extent we'd like them to!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

November 14th, 2007, 03:55
According to their US site, they have 8 PC "RPG" titles in their current line-up of 76 PC games. They are Dawn of Magic, Silverfall, Swashbucklers, Demonstone and Once Upon a Knight plus 7 NWN titles, D&D Online, and The Witcher.

Of those, realistically speaking only NWN and The Witcher are traditional cRPGs. You can toss in D&D Online if you think it rates—I haven't played it.

NWN and D&D Online are the only ones using the D&D license. (Demonstone also if that's D&D, and they also publish D&D Tactics for handhelds) I don't see this as a terribly high current level of support for RPGs, or a serious attempt to create new games with that license, but it is true that they have published some noteworthy titles in the genre over the years.

I don't see their list of games as a whole to be one based on any knowledge of what a good game might be. To me it reads like a list of titles that marketing people thought would sell—X number of sports games, X number of actiony games, X number of Deer Hunter games, etc.. Frankly, the loss of many of the non-rpg titles would go unnoticed by any serious gamer, IMO. However, it may be as good or better a track record than the other big guys.

In all fairness, I did think they made a good move by picking up a lot of smaller European studio titles from 1C for publication and distribution, like Fantasy Wars.

And they did publish The Witcher, so I'll quit ragging on them. For now.

BTW for some reason neither Gothic nor ToEE appears in their current lineup. For why??? Did they just stop producing them?

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; November 14th, 2007 at 06:18. Reason: corrected titles

magerette

Hedgewitch

November 14th, 2007, 09:12
I just hope they don't take the D&D license down permanently with their sinking shi*.

But (!) instead, sell it to the most likely candidate to do true justice to D&D by making Baldur's Gate 3, in genuine, CLASSIC, CRPG fashion.

Hmmmm, now who are the candidates…

Arpyjee

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Atari is dying?