RPGWatch Feature - Final Fantasy VI - Impressions

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Fluent checked out the Final Fantasy VI port on his NVidia Shield and penned down his impressions of the game.

When you start the game, you will immediately notice that the intro, largely considered one of the best intros in RPG gaming history, is better than ever. It sounds great, as the audio in the port had been freshly polished and run through higher quality equipment, a theme that will stick with the rest of the port experience. Nobuo Uematsu's timeless work is on full display here as the dark, ominous tones of the intro theme ring through your ears, getting you prepared for the epic journey that is about to begin.​

Not only does the intro look and sound better than ever, but the rest of the game does, too. Battle backgrounds have been fully realized in HD and look wonderful, while character sprites look great with a charming and expressive art style. The overworld map has been realized in higher resolution and looks inviting, complete with new graphics and processing effects that make things shine. Character portraits look better than ever with a highly detailed, hand-drawn style that makes them appealing to look at, and can tell a story without using a single word. The user interface is simple, functional and works wonderfully on my tablet (I'm playing with a bluetooth gamepad). In short, the graphics are upgraded and go a very long way into making this experience what it is.​
More information.

Thanks Fluent for creating this article.

Thanks.

I need to continue playing the game. Stuck replaying Witcher 3 with a female character mod and going through Trails of Cold Steel. Both are taking so long. How do you guys ever manage to play, like, 6 games at once I'll never know… I can play two at best, all others get automatically put on hold. :'(

I don't really like ATB battle system. But it isn't completely bad, either.

No idea why others say graphics is bad on PC, I didn't see how it looked before so for me the game looks quite alright :)

I played this great game on SNES. I didn't know the GBA release had an extra dungeon.

Great article, Fluent!

How do you guys ever manage to play, like, 6 games at once I'll never know… I can play two at best, all others get automatically put on hold. :'(

I graze. xD I play Vita in bed, so I get in extra play time that way.

And Fluent, excellent article!

No idea why others say graphics is bad on PC, I didn't see how it looked before so for me the game looks quite alright :)

They applied a bilinear filter over the sprites to smooth out edges. The result is that a lot of things are somewhat blurry. Graphically, it was a very lazy port.

How is the game playing with KB/mouse ?

I'm not sure if it even has mouse support. You can play it with the KB, but I don't know how effective that would be.

Final Fantasy VI is without a doubt the best Final Fantasy game I ever played. VII might have been more mainstream for its graphics and because it kinda was the big reveal of JRPG's to the western world, but it was VI the one which captured my heart and tore it to pieces with its beautiful story and superior character crafting.

I still get tears in my eyes every time I remember Celes' Opera scene.

Thanks for the impressions Fluent. Now that I have my first smartphone I'm really wondering if it is worth getting this on pc, or if would just be better to get it for my phone, though.

FFVI is the best Final Fantasy for story, characters, lore, music, and world. Only crazy people (no offense) would ever dispute that. FFIV is perhaps a close second, but FFVI is king. Whether you play this ugly mobile sprite version or the vastly superior emulated SNES version, both are brilliant.

If I ever play FFVI again I'll have to drag the old Super Nintendo and CRT out of the attic, because I'm not digging the contrast between the new sprites and the old art.

vastly superior emulated SNES version

How is the original version "vastly superior" when the new one has new features on top of the original version? o_O

Better music/music sent through an updated synth, interface tweaks, a full Bestiary, tweaks to make Sabin's "Blitz" ability much better, tweaks to make Cyan's "Bushido" abilities much better, soundtrack included with a music player in-game, etc.

I don't think a bilinear filter applied to the character sprites in the game makes the game vastly worse than the original.

And thank you all for reading the article! I hope you all enjoyed it. :nod:

How is the original version "vastly superior" when the new one has new features on top of the original version?

I don't think a bilinear filter applied to the character sprites in the game makes the game vastly worse than the original.
Well, there's more to it than that, as by the "original" they're meaning the SNES version which has a totally different set of sprites (which some people prefer) and other differences. Refer to this page:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI/Version_differences
Not sure which changes really matter ("oh no, you can no longer run!"). Maybe people just like what they're used to.

The PC version is a port of the mobile version, with improvements, and obviously has the differences and redesigned hi-res sprites from that (i.e. not the SNES ones).

There are screenshots around the show the difference.
e.g.
https://id.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Final-Fantasy-VI-Screenshot.jpg

At the end of the day, I don't think it's that big a deal, but I lack an appreciation for the finer points of cutesy gfx

Last edited:
Well, there's more to it than that, as by the "original" they're meaning the SNES version which has a totally different set of sprites (which some people prefer) and other differences. Refer to this page:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VI/Version_differences
Not sure which changes really matter ("oh no, you can no longer run!"). Maybe people just like what they're used to.

The PC version is a port of the mobile version, with improvements, and obviously has the differences and redesigned hi-res sprites from that (i.e. not the SNES ones).

There are screenshots around the show the difference.
e.g.
https://id.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Final-Fantasy-VI-Screenshot.jpg

At the end of the day, I don't think it's that big a deal, but I lack an appreciation for the finer points of cutesy gfx

And I'd add to that people who do art and art direction notice this kind of thing very quickly. And in this case a few found it highly unprofessional, even abusive to customers.

In my own case I've mucked around with the iOS version. The smaller the screen the less these weird effects are noticeable, although the character art is just... bad until you play it on the iPhone.

FFVI is the best Final Fantasy for story, characters, lore, music, and world. Only crazy people (no offense) would ever dispute that. FFIV is perhaps a close second, but FFVI is king. Whether you play this ugly mobile sprite version or the vastly superior emulated SNES version, both are brilliant.

FFIX is the best FF. VI, IX and IV are all very close as far as overall quality - definitely the high points of the series (though I also loved XII) - but IX's graphics engine and beautiful art style just made everything in those first six 2D games truly come to life. I'm not a graphics whore and love the 2D style (VI has aged much better than VII) but the fantastical, whimsical world of IX was just so stunningly realized and the cut scenes were breathtaking. In addition, the music was fantastic (though I do give the edge to VI's score) and the smaller cast of characters was more endearing to me than VI's larger cast.

So to me, VI is definitely the best of the old school FF's but IX is such a beautiful game overall.

- Crazy Person

I'm so strange, I'm losing interest too quickly these days for it to be normal.

Right in the beginning, after being switched to Locke for the first time, he goes into the city and I'm like… so what now? I have no idea what to do or where to go. That made me lose interest. I need to find patience to launch the game again. I know it sounds silly, but really, I'm just not in mood to explore a city without a goal in mind. I want a story to unfold, something to happen, I never thought it would be a game that requires exploration till you eventually bump into a goal. So I saw an adventure guild, read through helpful tutorials and quit :) Tell me that story continues unfolding behind the next corner? That is what I suspect. It can't be an exploration game. They're rare enough not to expect that. I guess it was just a point in the game where you're supposed to wander around.

FF6 disappointed me greatly tbh. It was ok, I finished it, but I much prefer the combat system used in other FF games (5,7,10 & 11), and I got utterly sick of playing different party members.

Still a good game, but it wouldn't feature in my FF top 5.

- Another crazy person.

Back
Top Bottom