XCOM 2 - Long War Studios to make Mods

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
At the XCOM site there has been an announcement about a partnership between Firaxis and Long War Studios. Expect more details on the mods soon.

We are happy to announce Long War Studios, the developers behind the Long War total-conversion mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within, has partnered with Firaxis Games and 2K for XCOM 2.

The Long War Studios team, which is comprised of John Lumpkin, Rachel "Amineri" Norman and James "JCLewis" Karlson, is currently hard at work on multiple mods for XCOM 2. These mods are currently slated to be available at launch on February 5, 2016. We'll have more information about the content of these mods soon.

Going to PAX South? Don't miss the Firaxis Megapanel on Saturday, January 30th at 12:30pm CT (10:30am PT/1:30pm ET) for EXCLUSIVE live gameplay of XCOM 2, as well as information on the mod tools from the developers and Long War Studios' John Lumpkin. Not at PAX South? You can watch the panel LIVE at http://twitch.tv/pax.
More information.

I hope this year we'll see some seasonpassless AAA products on PAX south.

Interesting...I thought they were making their own game?

Great news! X-COM 2 Extra-Long War, here we come... 200 hrs only to complete the first level!

Great news! X-COM 2 Extra-Long War, here we come… 200 hrs only to complete the first level!

Johnny Lumpkin and the guys at long war studios are amaxing. I am on my 4th playthrough run of long war and just realized how easy they made the gamecore.ini editable for everyone to change most of the important long war core game settings with a text editor like notepad. It made my xcom EW game vastly replayable.

Another great mention is early access Battle Brothers it is so much fun and the egg shaped squaddies are so cute. I am awaiting final release i hope there is an epic main quest to follow but the game is already endlessly fun.

Wait... Is Firaxis *paying* them for mods?? Then passing that cost on to us!? OMG! Paid mods! Burn down the internet!!

Wait… Is Firaxis *paying* them for mods?? Then passing that cost on to us!? OMG! Paid mods! Burn down the internet!!
Well seems it's only evil if Bethesda does it Zloth.:sarcasm:
Interesting…I thought they were making their own game?
As Sliver said above that game is still in pre-production.

Link - http://www.longwarstudios.com/games.htm
Terra Invicta is a grand strategy game in which the player leads the defense of Earth during an alien invasion. An alien force has arrived in the far reaches of Solar System and begun probing Earth's defenses and building an invasion fleet. The player must assemble a council of scientists, politicians, military leaders and operatives who can unite Earth's squabbling nations with the ultimate goal of taking the fight to the aliens in the high ground of outer space.

They're not charging for all mods, it looks like one specific mod was so good they've gone legitimate and set up a business which is being subcontracted to make mods. I suspect regular mods will still be going on around the place.

If you are scandalised about Bethesda being given undue treatment then perhaps the reasons for that are more nuanced than simply the idea of paid mods. Like they say, it ain't watcha do, it's the way thatcha do it, no?

Wait… Is Firaxis *paying* them for mods?? Then passing that cost on to us!? OMG! Paid mods! Burn down the internet!!

Long War Studios means they are a running company now that need to generate profits. If Firaxis released an DLC developed by LW Studios and its really cool and really worth buying and adding to XCOM 2 then i will purchase it, these guys deserve it for what they gave to XCOM EW. No one is forcing you to buy any DLCs, but if its good and worth it you buy it like any other game or DLC.

On the point of Beth's paid mods attempt noone, and I really can't remember that anyone, specified that charging $ on mods is an evil thing to do.
The actual scandal happened with overblown percentages Beth and Valve would get.

On the point of XCom2 I've said already that there is no way I'll buy the incomplete product and because it's deliberately incomplete I'll wait for the full game on some huge discount. Mods or no mods, paid or free, won't help persuade me into buying halfproduct.

To me there is a big difference between a developer/publisher recognizing the amazing skills of a mod group and turning their work into a commercial product (this has happened a lot since a long time ago... the single most prominent example possibly being Counter-Strike) or paid mods where the publisher just lazily sets up a pay wall and passively earns money from every mod sale.
Very big difference in my opinion. It doesn't even begin to compare...

On the point of Beth's paid mods attempt noone, and I really can't remember that anyone, specified that charging $ on mods is an evil thing to do.
The actual scandal happened with overblown percentages Beth and Valve would get.

On the point of XCom2 I've said already that there is no way I'll buy the incomplete product and because it's deliberately incomplete I'll wait for the full game on some huge discount. Mods or no mods, paid or free, won't help persuade me into buying halfproduct.

Why is it deliberately incomplete?

Why is it deliberately incomplete?

Because why would the publisher sell you the complete game for $50 when they can sell you half of the game for that sum and keep the rest of it unreleased for a while then charge you some more $.

Because why would the publisher sell you the complete game for $50 when they can sell you half of the game for that sum and keep the rest of it unreleased for a while then charge you some more $.

But pretty much all games have DLC, why are you singling out this one?

Dunno about pretty much all…
But pretty much rare games cut out race, class, NPC or other turn the release game upside down so it's not the release game any more but completely different product then sell those separately as DLC.

The point is, season pass of XCom2 contains a class being cut out to be sold later and since it's a class, it'll probably upon it's release change the vanilla game.
From games in 2015. and upcoming games in 2016. name me one other game that gets it's logic playthrough completely different if with and if without DLC.

Or to be more precise, imagine you buy a chessboard without queen figure which was cut out and you can buy it separately later.

Let's take a positive example how things should be done.
Since Bethesda is mentioned in the thread, their game, Dishonored.
It does have DLC. But DLC is a separate thing that doesn't touch the main game by any means. It's not changing the main game, there is no bonus class, race, weaponry, equipment, maps, missions that overlap with the main game. It's nothing cut out nor original game changing material.

Last edited:
Would you change your tune if we called it an expansion pack instead of DLC? Functionally, there's no difference- work often commenced on a planned expansion pack before the game was released. Have you been on this soapbox since the 90's? For that matter, I seem to remember you being a fan of HoMM3, which received significant gameplay revisions thru the numerous expansion packs that were sold.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm just wondering if you're consistent with it.

Dunno about pretty much all…
But pretty much rare games cut out race, class, NPC or other turn the release game upside down so it's not the release game any more but completely different product then sell those separately as DLC.

The point is, season pass of XCom2 contains a class being cut out to be sold later and since it's a class, it'll probably upon it's release change the vanilla game.
From games in 2015. and upcoming games in 2016. name me one other game that gets it's logic playthrough completely different if with and if without DLC.

Or to be more precise, imagine you buy a chessboard without queen figure which was cut out and you can buy it separately later.

Let's take a positive example how things should be done.
Since Bethesda is mentioned in the thread, their game, Dishonored.
It does have DLC. But DLC is a separate thing that doesn't touch the main game by any means. It's not bonus class, race, weaponry, equipment, maps, missions that overlap with the main game. It's nothing cut out nor original game changing material.

Don't know about DLC's but expansions used to add classes. SCL was released with limited classes which they said would be added later. Not sure if it's a free update though. Anyway I remember us talking about this in another thread now.

I guess my only question is how do you know it was cut and not being added later? It looks like it won't be released for months.

I guess my only question is how do you know it was cut and not being added later? It looks like it won't be released for months.
Does it actually matter?
What matters is that everyone knows a new class is the major selling point of XCom2's season pass which (in my case) means no buy till the game is complete.

Since you didn't find another example of a game that feels like release game changing route by completing the puzzle with DLC packed into season pass, I'll name it: Rise of Tomb Raider, that I planned to preorder because the first game was brilliant, my PC won't see till it gets completed.
More on it's season pass: http://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/451850468373368104/

Back
Top Bottom