XCOM 2 - Review @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer wants to play XCOM 2 forever:

XCOM 2 Review

Deep inside your flying base is a bar dedicated to fallen soldiers. It has a list of each soldier’s name, time of death, and the operation they died in. It’s a trigger for dark memories. Reading down I remember one soldier crushed to death by a giant snake, another burnt to death in a ruined office. Another shot dead then psychically resurrected to fight her friends. Operation Dismal Window was a bad day for rookie Neel Mehra. Sergeant Flynn Hudson bit the dust in Operation Half-Eaten Tears. If it wasn’t obvious from XCOM’s ominous naming convention for operations, this is a tough gig. But these are the heroes you’ll remember when the lasers stop. These are the fallen stars in this gruelling, outstanding strategy game.

[...]

Score: 94/100

Exceptionally tough, rewarding strategy and a masterful reworking of the XCOM formula. We’ll play this forever.
More information.

Okay does anyone remember PC Gamer's overall GOTY in 2015.? No?

MGS5.

Sure it's a great game. But there is a small letters thing. You pay the full price for what you think is singleplayer only and get rubbish MMO inside. What you "earn" in singleplayer game can be stolen by multiplayer cheaters. Of course, to protect yourself from cheaters, don't hope Konami will do anything, instead they sell so called insurance microtransaction for real money to get you back stuff stolen from you. In fact, it's in best Konami's interest people cheat so they can sell more and more insurance "cheat".
There is a way to avoid being pulled into the multiplayer part and keep the game as singleplayer only, but there is no actual info on that unless people who already got bitten tell you.

And that same PC Gamer wants to play XCom2 forever? Based on what kind of product scored max in previous year on their site, I'm not impressed nor can trust their judgment. They obviously love scamware. Sorry.

But… Thank you for the info, henriquejr! :)

You're both welcome :D

PS: Joxer, I think you should give X-Com 2 a chance. Just my opinion here, I don't mean to offend or anything :)

PS 2: Joxer, I feel the same: I don't agree with the game PCGamer picked for GOTY 2015. And if you can't trust their judgment, trust mine. :) Alternatively, I can point you another two mainstream gaming websites (I'm pretty sure you like them :biggrin: ), which scored XCom 2 for 9 and 9.3 respectively. Lemme know if you wanna their URLs pointed out :biggrin:

Last edited:
Okay does anyone remember PC Gamer's overall GOTY in 2015.? No?

MGS5.

Sure it's a great game. But there is a small letters thing. You pay the full price for what you think is singleplayer only and get rubbish MMO inside. What you "earn" in singleplayer game can be stolen by multiplayer cheaters. Of course, to protect yourself from cheaters, don't hope Konami will do anything, instead they sell so called insurance microtransaction for real money to get you back stuff stolen from you. In fact, it's in best Konami's interest people cheat so they can sell more and more insurance "cheat".
There is a way to avoid being pulled into the multiplayer part and keep the game as singleplayer only, but there is no actual info on that unless people who already got bitten tell you.

And that same PC Gamer wants to play XCom2 forever? Based on what kind of product scored max in previous year on their site, I'm not impressed nor can trust their judgment. They obviously love scamware. Sorry.

But… Thank you for the info, henriquejr! :)

Not sure what any of that has to do with pcgamer giving a positive review to xcom 2.

I'm mean you recommended lol and Ravens cry lately. 2 terrible games, one with micro transaction phone crap. Yet it would still be possible for you to recommend some good games too.

As for xcom 2. Looking forward to it. I won't read the review as I already preordered and will see what it's like for myself on the 5th. If it's anywhere near as good as enemy within then I'll be quite happy with it.

The ability to stealth sounds like a nice addition. He didn't really explain the mechanics of it but said you can set up an ambush and start combat with your first shot. Since you're a human insurgency, I hope it works like blending in with the crowd, instead of just sneaking, until you decide to open fire.

I am going to have so much fun with it, I'll probably broke the 1000 hrs mark with it, guaranteed. Firaxis also took modding very seriously (Larians, I am looking at you, please make something similar or better for D:OS 2). I loved what J. Solomon (lead designer) said:

"When people buy a game, it is their game... they should be able to play the way they want."

Fallout 3 total conversation (TB, perks, skills, the whole 9 yards) here we come...

I need to buy this still, anyone see any good deals out there?

They have 20% off at greenman gaming. They just send you a steam key. If you shopped there before the should have sent you a 27% off voucher. I got one. Got the deluxe version for 54.99.

Must... hold out... until... GotY edition...
expansions... time to make really sweet mods...
must...... re.. sis... t

You pay the full price for what you think is singleplayer only and get rubbish MMO inside.
Huh? What MMO inside? Some kindly soul told me to never accept the online agreement - so I haven't, and haven't seen anything at all like an MMO component (except for the actual MMO that is).

MGS5.

Sure it's a great game.

That's the only part of your rant about MGSV that was on point. Yes, MGSV was a great game! Actually, it is the greatest stealth/action game ever, with 200 hours of content. And it just added a free Metal Gear Online competitive mode, which is surprisingly good. And all the MGO real money stuff is cosmetic, so whatever.

Let's see…one of the best game engines ever, insanely good graphics, super-smooth 60 FPS gameplay on all systems, best stealth/action ever, tons of missions, three endings, extra FOB MP mode if you care, extra MGO MP mode if you care. Zero need to spend any real money after purchase. Yep, GREAT GAME.

Anyway, excellent work derailing this thread and letting me gush about MGSV! Even though it came out recently, it is in my top 10 games of all time. It's just that good.

PS: get a clue before railing about MMO stuff. The research timers were in Peace Walker, a PSP game. Kojima designed the game to require hours to research stuff to give a sense of progression. Man, some people are so ignorant. HUGS!!

Not sure how many people know about this yet (it's fairly new), but if you're an Amazon Prime member you now get 20% off all game pre-orders. Additionally, Prime members always get 5% statement credit back on everything bought at Amazon when using the Amazon Store Card as your payment method. So, $45.59 for me there.

What I mentioned is for the physical version, though. (Although it'd be the same price if you wanted the digital instead...) For those people who still demand the box like myself.

What I mentioned is for the physical version, though. (Although it'd be the same price if you wanted the digital instead…) For those people who still demand the box like myself.

Pfft… caveman. ;)

they do have some pretty good deals. Have you ordered from them? You get a steam key, I assume?

Yeah, they're legit. I was skeptical when I first discovered the site, but I've ordered from them once and received a key immediately. Their selection is limited, but their prices are tough to beat.

What I mentioned is for the physical version, though. (Although it'd be the same price if you wanted the digital instead…) For those people who still demand the box like myself.

I would love to buy boxes again, but I gave up on it. Too many games just come in a dvd case with no printed manual, it's on the disc and a steam key which renders the disc useless anyway.:(

I would love to buy boxes again, but I gave up on it. Too many games just come in a dvd case with no printed manual, it's on the disc and a steam key which renders the disc useless anyway.:(
True, and it's still getting worse. The Fallout 4 "manual" is one of the most pathetic I've seen yet.

It's been 4 years and counting since the last time I purchased a boxed version of a PC game. Two Worlds 2: Velvet Edition was the last one I bought.

There have been some collector's editions I was tempted to get (i.e. TW3, FO4), but in the end I didn't think the prices were justified.

I don't normally buy collector editions either (although sometimes I get them as a result of Kickstarter pledges). I just like having a box of some kind for the shelf I guess.

Back
Top Bottom