|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pinnacle Games - 18 Genre-Defining Games @ Gamerhelp

Default Pinnacle Games - 18 Genre-Defining Games @ Gamerhelp

December 14th, 2007, 17:37
Apparently, it isn't in Bethblog's commercial interest to have BG2 even mentioned.

Arpyjee

Watchdog

December 14th, 2007, 18:22
Ahh the title rather gives it away "highest point of development or achievement" basically this is a best of list then - not defining games really.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 14th, 2007, 22:22
I stopped reading after the first entry when I saw they had "God of War" as the pinnacle of the "action" genre.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 14th, 2007, 22:42
Company of Heroes ? An ideal title for a fantasy game, but this ?!

Anyway, It's not my kind of games anyway. I don't like strategy games at all which more or less resemble the real world.

And about God of War I thought similar things … I didn't even know this game !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

December 14th, 2007, 23:03
I agree with the mention of Tetris as both the pinnacle of its genre and a genre-defining game. IMO all other games mentioned are just a random selection. There are some games I like and others I don't like, but none of the winning games except Tetris strike me as being revolutionary for the genre they're assigned to in this article.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 14th, 2007, 23:31
Pools of Radiance defined the whole D&D game genre for me. If you think about it, the combat system is still pretty much used today despite being in real time. POR has aged well and still playable for me even on the high resolution displays we have these days. Castle wolf and Doom defined the FPS shooter genre and then games like Elder Scrolls merely merged genres (arguably creating a new genre).

Someone mentioned Dune 2, it's the only RTS game that I have completed 3+ times in order to see all the different endings. Dune 1 was a better game but it's dune 2 that all RTS games borrow from in my opinion.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

December 14th, 2007, 23:50
I also think Dune 2 lead the way. Dune 1 was a totally different type of game (primarily an adventure following the story of the first Dune novel IIRC, though it also had its strategy game elements), and it was developed by a different studio. Dune 2 concentrated on the RTS gameplay and paved the way for C&C.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2007, 00:32
Well it's not too bad a list I suppose. I've seen worse and I wouldn't be able to tell you some of them like… sport games.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2007, 17:23
I have to agree with you there, its not a bad list considering. Quest for Glory over Myst is an interesting selection. BG, Wizardry or Ultima 3 would have been my choice as a defining RPG but that depends what era you are in. Morrowinders may be the current trend but its certainly polite to pick Fallout. There is no arcade type category, surprisingly, Tetris is listed as a puzzle game. I would think Pac-Man's wife would shove everyone else to the side be they Invaders from outer space or bugs navigating their way through mushrooms. No simulation games either: Simcity, Sims, Flight Simulator, nothing. I guess its dead.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Pinnacle Games - 18 Genre-Defining Games @ Gamerhelp