|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avencast - Wrap Report @ RPG Vault

Default Avencast - Wrap Report @ RPG Vault

December 15th, 2007, 02:41
Clockstone's Tri Do Dinh and Michael Schiestl have penned an enjoyable Wrap Report on Avencast for RPG Vault:
Tri Do Dinh: We had two big goals concerning the design of the game. One was bringing a fresh twist to the genre by trying a new combat system. After all, you're spending a lot of time vanquishing evil, so to speak, so we wanted to create a system that is really able to capture the action and keep it interesting. The other was finding a design that would turn our weakness, our small team, into a strength. Rather than going for sheer scope and complexity, which wouldn't have been possible, we decided to make Avencast smaller, but at the same time as charming and interesting as possible, with real attention to the details.
In terms of art direction, we didn't want to go for the classic orcs and elves fantasy look, so we took a lot inspiration from unusual things… the Mayan civilization, things like that.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2007, 02:41
No wonder the game has such a nice charm under neat, good work small independent Clockstone.

Omg, he said the magic word, Coop!

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2007, 07:10
This is just my opinion, but I played through Avencast, and personally I think this is a highly underrated game.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

December 15th, 2007, 15:11
Couldnt agree more.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

December 17th, 2007, 05:35
My understanding is they are going to do an expansion pack, and it will include co-op play.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

December 17th, 2007, 10:35
Avencast is just great - the more I play it the more I like it. I agree: underrated.

Let's hope they will develop an add-on.

DaDoom

Watcher

December 17th, 2007, 18:51
Let us hope the add-on fleshes the game out a ton. As of right now, there really isn't much game there. It's definitely not worth $40. Avencast can be finished in about 8-10 hours if you skip some of the sidequests. If you do everything you might have a 15 hour game. You can only choose two classes in the whole game. The game is almost completely linear after the beginning area. There are only 4 statistics to add points to, etc. I'm not sure what people are seeing in this game. Hexen and Nox do the same basic thing much better and they were released years ago.

This is an extremely niche game and I'm not sure if the market will bear it. If I were the develepors I'd be ecstatic if I got 500 purchases. I hope, for their sake, that I'm wrong.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Avencast - Wrap Report @ RPG Vault