|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What games are like the Gothic Series?

Default What games are like the Gothic Series?

December 20th, 2007, 04:06
Some things I love about gothic is that there's consequence for everything. You join paladins, but you can't join mercenaries as a result.
I also like the realism of passing time and a busy world. People working and a whole society going on as if progress was being made and daily life was going on. Things like Mining and Forging weapons.
Now you won't hear this from many but one thing I really like is the resourcefulness. Going out to gather resources for a desired result. Like hunting certain monsters for their pelts or claws and making something out of them instead of giving them to somebody as a reward. I'd want to make a set of armor out of specific materials to use or sell. I'd also want to go mine for ore in order to do the same with Armor. I love the leveling system and how all of that works.
I just want to know.

What other RPGs out there are like this? I'd love to have another.

Tritanzous

Traveler

December 20th, 2007, 06:26
Try The Witcher and possibly Two Worlds.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

December 20th, 2007, 11:34
The Gothics are fairly unique in how they mix the features you describe.

Ultima VII? Ultima IX is actually not all that dissimilar to the Gothics (apart from that it is a pretty awful game where you spend most of your time finding buttons in dungeons) and probably inspired the series. But it has a detailed and highly interactive gameworld.

Oblivion actually nails the "NPCs walking around and doing their business" part pretty well for a game, but it has other issues (there are for instance very few consequences to your choices). Two worlds basically only have a schedule where people go to bed at night, you dont really get the feeling of a them actually doing anything.

EDIT: Havent played the witcher, but it seems similar to Gothic 1 and 2 in that it is fairly linear, morally "grey", and has a fairly dense gameworld that you experience in chapters.
Last edited by Zaleukos; December 20th, 2007 at 18:19.

Zaleukos

Bum

December 23rd, 2007, 04:53
If you liked making things, then NWN 2 is great for that. There is a little bit of gathering resources in NWN 2 but it is mostly you buy the ingrediants and then make what you want.

Corwin had it right with The Witcher. You can gather ingredients to make potions and there are tons of the "kill this creature and bring back some body part" quests.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat

December 27th, 2007, 21:29
Maybe ur right… i think that aplies very well in g3 and g2 but i cant really tell since i never played them. Ive played g1 and i dont agree with u. The world doesnt move alone u move and she moves behind u as u solve quests. Lots of rpg tryed to to use this tehnic. Im sory to say it but the thing with the mercenary joining stuff is stupid.( i know that in all gothics u chose a faction-camp to join and then u finish the game from his perspective-no world move and all that stuff)

Altair

Ibn La Ahad

December 28th, 2007, 01:51
Try adventures, maybe.

Gothic 1 often appears like kind of an adventure to me.

Outcast, maybe ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

Dark Savant

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » What games are like the Gothic Series?