|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Weird Ways to Gain Power

Default Weird Ways to Gain Power

Yesterday, 03:55
I can't say I was very impressed with Gamespot's article but it does sound like a good idea for a topic! What are some really strange ways you've gained power in an RPG? (Be it experience levels or ways to get special powers.)

NetHack definitely had some odd ones. Eating critters would sometimes give you their powers (as mentioned in Gamespot's article) but you could also sometimes control those powers. Eat a tengu and you'll likely contract teleportitis, which will cause you to randomly teleport around the dungeon level at random times. That can be handy on occasion but will most likely drive you crazy pretty quickly as you pop away from the stairs just as you're about to go down them. However, if you can get a ring of teleport control, you'll be able to control your disease and teleport wherever and whenever you want!

P.S. It's not an RPG but honorable mention to Metal Gear Solid 5 where you can punch your employees to improve their morale.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Yesterday, 05:11
I usually kill chickens, cows and other domesticated animals for easy XP.

BoboTheMighty

Keeper of the Watch

Yesterday, 08:33
Getting tattoos and unlocking memories in PS:T come to mind.

"Grafting" a weapon in Dark Sun for a to-hit bonus was a cool (but pretty useless) ability.

Having my bard sing a song to the mermaid in Icewind Dale for XP was always a charming little sub quest.

Absorbing souls is pretty common too, think Mask of the Betrayer or Lionheart
--
Originally Posted by sakichop
So basically what people want is a game where you can play many different races having violent sex with up to 3 friends while yelling obscenities.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Yesterday, 11:50
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Metal Gear Solid 5 where you can punch your employees to improve their morale.
No.
That's urban legend but it's not true.
However you can, instead of walking towards them after leaving helicopter, punch the ground (sonar mech arm ability) instead and they'll salute which ups their morale.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Yesterday, 13:41
The old mainstay of CRPGs "Kill trolls->Get better at lockpicking" has always come across as a bit strange to me.

Fnord

SasqWatch

Yesterday, 14:08
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
The old mainstay of CRPGs "Kill trolls->Get better at lockpicking" has always come across as a bit strange to me.
I don't think I've ever heard that.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Yesterday, 15:20
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard that.
It was a reference to an old interview made with someone at Bethesda at around the time of the release of Daggerfall, when they talked about why they went with a more free-form system where you would get better at skills by using them rather than having levels where you would get a chunk of skillpoints. They used that very example.

Note to self: Don't actually expect anyone to remember interviews from 1996. Actually, not even sure why I remember it, I was not of the right age to play that game back then (I still did, but hey, being a kid never stopped anyone from playing violent games )

Fnord

SasqWatch

Today, 03:21
Shadow Hearts: Covenant had one character level up her sword skills by reading parts of Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen opera.

MGS5: Weeeellll, OK, you actually just have to stand near the guys to get the boost - but this is way more fun.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Weird Ways to Gain Power