|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PnP RPG settings/systems that need CRPGs

Default PnP RPG settings/systems that need CRPGs

Yesterday, 17:58
Playing the new Shadowrun game made me think about how criminally underused that setting was for so many years (as an aside, I recommend tracking down a SNES emulator and Shadowrun ROM to get the background on Jake Armitage). The turn-based, isometric thing worked really well for it, but it would also make a good action RPG, or even pure action game. An FO3-esque open-world Shadowrun would be epic, but, alas, that's probably asking too much. The setting would work so many ways.

That got me thinking about what other pen and paper RPGs would make good CRPGs. These days I can't see that happening outside of smaller studios. The big boys want to focus on their own properties, and, when it comes down to it, a big traditional RPG name doesn't really carry the weight it used to. CRPGs aren't made for PnP gamers anymore; actually, it's starting to go the other way, with traditional RPGs trying to pull in video gamers.

Anyway, ignoring all of that, what game systems/settings would work well as video games? It doesn't have to be one you've actually played, since I know most people here don't have that much tabletop experience, but you've probably seen/heard of several.

Call of Cthulhu is one I'd love to see, but it would have to be so different from the normal CRPG that I just can't see it happening. The closest we're likely to get is Secret World, and maybe some indie horror games. To make it more appealing, you'd have to boost the survivability a bit and embrace some of the pulpy ideas some of the spin-off systems have.

Deadlands is one I've never played, but it always sounded interesting. The weirdest of the weird west, with gunslingers, zombies, and magic, it's another one that could fit into a few different styles fairly easily. I can imagine a VtM:Bloodlines vibe working well with it.

Mutants and Masterminds, or really any superhero system, would be my holy grail. Making your own superhero, designing their powers and costume, and taking them out into a big city to foil the dastardly schemes of megalomaniacal villains seems like it would be an instant win. We've had a couple of MMOs, one of them actually based on a PnP game (Champions), but a single-player game would be amazing. Using a system like M&M would give you a pre-existing setting and characters that are already set up to accommodate the whims of players, which is really more important than the pure mechanics of the game.

Anyone else got any? Or want to see some already used ones get an update?

Menigal

Extractor of Madness

Yesterday, 18:18
Call of Cthulhu is one I hear mentioned quite regularly and with a lot of affection, there's quite a solid niche of fans of that name that will eat up anything with inspiration.

I'm subscribed to this poor guy that does Let's Plays of everything Cthulhu, I say poor guy because the current company with the sub-contract to that name is Frogwares so all he ever gets to plough through are endless pseudo adventure puzzle games, from early Sherlock Holmes Frogware 'classics' to fairly banal physics block games like Magrunner.

The most amusing of the lot was Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, developed by Headfirst Productions and published by Bethesda Softworks with 2K Games and Ubisoft and released in 2005. It's both infuriatingly crap and suitably gorgeously atmospheric. A taste of what could be that causes more pains of expectation than it cures.

For such a rich P&P source and fanbase you'd think people would be falling over themselves to cash-in while the buying public is hot (or made hottable) for Lovecraftian adventures, but, alas, the RPG scene has been disappointingly sparse for this P&P universe.

In January 2014 Frogwares unveiled:

Call of Cthulhu pen-and-paper role-playing video game is in development by Frogwares studio will feature H.P. Lovecraft mythology.
Click here for screenies and site link

But with Frogwares at the helm… and a distinct lack of news regarding any actual development, and then we got a new Sherlock Holmes game… the hype train is distinctly out of service…

lackblogger

Sentinel

Yesterday, 20:06
Earthdawn: The sister game of Shadowrun, Earthdawn is more or less a postapocalyptic fantasy game. In the universe of Shadowrun/Earthdawn, magic waxes and wanes in predictable cycles (though over such a long timespan that only the dragons really know about it). When the magic becomes too powerful, terrible creatures awaken and feed on the world, while most intelligent creatures hide (in this case in the dwarven underground forts). Earthdawn takes place shortly after people have started to move out of these underground keeps, and it's actually a really interesting setting.

Paranoia: The computer is your friend (and my avatar), trust the computer. Would probably work best as a Magicka-style game, but where the players have hidden objectives as well, and rewarded for shooting each other in the back when they spot someone doing treasonous deeds. For those who have never played Paranoia, imagine a mix between "Brave new world" and 1984, with an unhealthy does of cold war paranoia mixed in.

Fading Suns: There was an old 4X game based on this setting. The setting is a bit Dune-like, with a bit of 40k (but it's not grimdark). Fading Suns has my favourite RPG setting, but due to the scope of it, I've fund it a bit hard to run properly. I would imagine that a game that's a bit VTM:Bloodlines-like would be a perfect fit for Fading Suns, plenty of dialogue, choices and intrigue (though with a heavier focus on the intrigue part).

Fnord

SasqWatch

Yesterday, 20:42
I wouldnt mind seeing a Palladium Rifts video game. Post apoc setting where rifts to different dimensions open up all over the world. Crazy classes such as superheroes, cyber-paladins, dog-men, robots, magic-users, psi classes, etc. Tons of material where you can visit different dimensions, tho most of the action happens in North America. Only bad thing is the game system is kind of clunky from what I can tell, but overall its very imaginative and interesting.

Wouldnt mind seeing a Pathfinder world based game. I read the novels tho I havent played the pnp, it seems like it would be a great franchise to get into single player/party group video game form.

The DnD world of Ravenloft I think would be pretty awesome too. I really enjoyed the Ravenloft games back in the day (late 80s?). Great atmosphere and heavy on the storytelling, would be great to see that world again in a computer game.

Cronis

Watcher

Yesterday, 21:16
Dark Corners of the Earth could have been a good game. It had great atmosphere, but they ruined it by making it a horrible, gamey mess that relied far too much on trial and error. There was one part I only got through because I knew the story it was based on and how the narrator got away.

I thought about Rifts, butů where would you even start with a game like that? It's got everything in it!

Ravenloft was an interesting setting (although generally more interesting in concept than execution), and would be far more entertaining than yet another Forgotten Realms game. You could have a lot of fun with that one if you used the idea of evil characters getting drawn further into the realm. It would need to be really well done to keep the proper feeling, and I can't see Hasbro going that direction. I think we're FR-bound forevermore.

I thought of another one earlier today that would be perfect as a CRPG, but I've forgotten it now.

Menigal

Extractor of Madness

Yesterday, 21:50
I can recommend a good Cthulhu RPG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Yesterday, 22:43
Your right about Rifts Menigal, I'd start in Chi-Town and work from there. The many ideas of Rifts would work great with DLCs/expansions.

Cronis

Watcher

Today, 01:43
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
I can recommend a good Cthulhu RPG

http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/
That looks like a great game. However, does the Cthulhu aspect actually feel Cthulhu enough? Isn't the whole Cthulhu thing that it's a relatively mature subject matter, with a strong basis in horror, gore and madness? I'm not entirely sure I was getting a Cthulhu vibe from that rather cartoonish, bright, colourful, early 16 bit, HoMM style game. Great game though judging by the comments and etc and one I'm now tempted to play - but is it really that Cthulhu? Not from what I saw :shrug:

lackblogger

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » PnP RPG settings/systems that need CRPGs