|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » One more lucasarts says good bye to PC

Default One more lucasarts says good bye to PC

June 2nd, 2009, 15:38
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Some points:

After all, how many years do you have to go back to play a PC game that was written as a PC game from the ground up?!
February 2009: Drakensang?

Sacred 2 was released in november 2008. Console versions are (will be available) but long after the PC version. Maybe that indicates a pc->Console port in stead of the other way around?

The Witcher in 2007.

A few non RPG's
Civilization: Colonization september 2008
Hellgate London 2007
Crysis 2007
Stalker: Clear sky 2008

These are the ones that comes to mind right now. Admittedly not that many, but you don't have to go back years to find PC-only games.

pibbur

Guest

#41

Posts: n/a

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 15:45
Crysis didn't sell because it demanded a PC most PC gamers didn't have. Games companies never ever blame their actions and when they get it wrong piracy often gets trotted out. Crysis sold 2.5 million and STALKER sold 4.5 million not because Crysis was pirated (why pirate a game you cannot play on your PC?), but because STALKER was a much more original and better shooter and ran on many many more PC's! What would your choice be? A $300 PC upgrade and then Crysis or just the $50 STALKER?!

Just because someone runs a games company doesn't man he's telling the truth, or for that matter doesn't know the truth but hides it to avoid embarrassment!
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#42

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 15:47
@lghartveit, I meant AAA titles and companies. The EA's, the Bethesda's, the Blizzard's, etc. Because that's what we're talking about here AAA PC gaming. Not indie or casual.

And 2007 was years ago, as we are in the middle of 2009. And you are totally right when you say it's not a long list for nearly 3 years of PC gaming!
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#43

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 16:46
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
@lghartveit, I meant AAA titles and companies. The EA's, the Bethesda's, the Blizzard's, etc. Because that's what we're talking about here AAA PC gaming. Not indie or casual.

And 2007 was years ago, as we are in the middle of 2009. And you are totally right when you say it's not a long list for nearly 3 years of PC gaming!
Sims 3, Spore?
How many games have Blizzard published in the last few years anyway? Just WoW expansions (all for PC). Same with Bethesda, a couple. EA is and has been tied to consoles for a while anyway.
Let's face it, nowadays AAA games have to be multi-platform. The costs involved are too high for AAA games (marketing, full voice overs, etc.)
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#44

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,243

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 16:49
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Sims 3, Spore?
How many games have Blizzard published in the last few years anyway? Just WoW expansions (all for PC). Same with Bethesda, a couple. EA is and has been tied to consoles for a while anyway.
Let's face it, nowadays AAA games have to be multi-platform. The costs involved are too high for AAA games (marketing, full voice overs, etc.)
Sims is already dumbed down and casual and Spore was totally dumbed down and turned out casual, so while on PC, they are console games to all intents and purposes.
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#45

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 16:52
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
Not only rental, but used game purchases which is HUGE in the console world but almost non-existant in the PC.
No, it ain't non-existent. It's just … Well, here in Germany there still is a decent marked for used PC gamnes, there do exist "second hand" gaming shops.

But I must admit that the market for used console games is much, much bigger, and most importantly: Much, much more stable ! You can still charge the same money for a used console game nowadays than you could do in 2006 ! Well, at least almost.

That won't go for the PC, because of the development cycles : The whole PC platform ages so much, much, much more faster than a console platform !

Not only hardware-wise, but also OS-wise ! You can't play quite an amout of games anymore that ran fine on the Wiin98 OS ! Most probably because MS doesn't want them to ! (See the whole Directx 10 thing for that.)

In fact, MS invented Directx to let games not be run on other platforms, like OS/2, on which some DOS games ran relatively fine, I heard, at least the less complex ones.
MS just wanted to exclude everyone else.

Now, what we have are the consoles - "exclusives" - and the fast ageing PC platform - also one kind of an "exclusive", which is currently beoing cannibalized by MS' xbox.

To me, this is a whole lotta mess.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#46

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,980

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 16:58
@Alrik Fassbauer, another quality post! Would just say that with the Virtual PC 2008 and DOSBox utilities, along with a Win98 OS disk, I can run any PC game from 1989 onwards! It's this ease of use that is helping PC retro gaming to go from strength to strength. I mean, with 10 million plus DOSBox downloads, it gotta be a huge market!
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#47

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 17:26
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Crysis didn't sell because it demanded a PC most PC gamers didn't have. Games companies never ever blame their actions and when they get it wrong piracy often gets trotted out.

Just because someone runs a games company doesn't man he's telling the truth, or for that matter doesn't know the truth but hides it to avoid embarrassment!
The quote included four other developers not just crysis. Of course you can think they are all trying to hide the truth but I dont think so.

These discussions never go anywhere - I dont see the point wasting time on them anymore. Majority of people dont give a crap anyways. Better just wait and see - in the end we will find out the truth.

P.S the star wars game sucked so no big loss for loosing the pc version

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
Last edited by zakhal; June 2nd, 2009 at 17:39.
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#48

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,989

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 17:34
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Piracy is always brought up for PC, but it is much larger on console, because of rental. In any event, I cannot see how the PC games industry can complain about piracy and at the same time talk about Oblivion and Fallout 3 and STALKER and Witcher and others all selling 3-5 million units! That's as good as a decent hit on console! I don't see how those sales could be reached if piracy was so rampant!
I might be wrong but I think the Witcher lost money I'd argue that titles like Oblivion and Fallout bypass piracy by having an audience outside the tech-savvy part of the player population (not that it is very hard to pirate, but there is still a bar to pass).

How do you explain the delay of the PC version of Dragon Age btw?
Zaleukos is offline

Zaleukos

Zaleukos's Avatar
Bum

#49

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,869

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 18:59
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
Most games are now written with multi-format 'engines. You put data into your PC workstation/server and you pump out 360, PS3 and PC working code. Then you 'tidy up' each version depending how much money you want to spend.

When a game is written with an engine….
I'm not getting this. Games aren't written with engines, they're written on top of engines, aren't they? Are you referring to the development tools that are provided with today's game engines?

Bear with me, I'm not a software guy.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]
Squeek is offline

Squeek

Squeek's Avatar
connoisseur of tidbits

#50

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,807

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 19:17
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I'm not getting this. Games aren't written with engines, they're written on top of engines, aren't they? Are you referring to the development tools that are provided with today's game engines?

Bear with me, I'm not a software guy.
No. Most games nowadays are written with engines. They are no different, although a lot more sophisticated than editors that come with some games. They tend to be compatible modules, so graphics can be worked on in the graphics/animation engine, the sound in the sound engine and the data in the data engine. This code then gets compiled, after bug testing, into one module of data. Usually this run is made with the main machine involved. 360 title that will come out on PS3 and PC later, for example, will be compiled into the 360 module. It will then be sent to the playtesting section for secondary bug testing. Sometimes the engine comes with testing code as well. Once playtested successfully, that would be beta. At that point a video may be released. Coding then moves onto tightening the code, maybe re-compiling for tighter code and only then, when they can go 'gold' on the initial machine they begin work in any interface changes needed for the other machines, PC in particular. As we see from the wide variation of console to PC conversions not all companies spend the time or money on this 'machine specific optimization'.
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#51

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 20:01
Originally Posted by UK_John View Post
@lghartveit, I meant AAA titles and companies. The EA's, the Bethesda's, the Blizzard's, etc. Because that's what we're talking about here AAA PC gaming. Not indie or casual.

Why? If you want to discuss "the future of pc gaming", with claims that "Our world may be coming to an end.", why restrict the discussion to a few selected publishers? The games I mentioned are hardly indie games. As for casual games - you might say that the action-rpgs like "Sacred 2" belong to that category, while "The witcher", "Drakensang" and "Colonization" are not.

And I don't agree that 2007 is "years ago", we're only 1 year 5 months since we wrote 2007.

pibbur

Guest

#52

Posts: n/a

Default 

June 2nd, 2009, 21:44
Originally Posted by lghartveit View Post
As for casual games - you might say that the action-rpgs like "Sacred 2" belong to that category, while "The witcher", "Drakensang" and "Colonization" are not.
I agree. It's THQs fault that Drakensang was marketed as a 2casual game" in the U.S. market.

It is not.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#53

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,980

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 01:38
LA are publishing a remake of Monkey Island for the PC, due out this summer!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#54

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,475
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 01:42
And a new Monkey Island series by TellTale is in the works!
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#55

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,834

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 03:36
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
LA are publishing a remake of Monkey Island for the PC, due out this summer!!
Woot! That's seriously good news. And they are staying -gasp- faithful to the original and didn't implement MI3's horrible style or something. You can even seamlessly switch between classic pixel look and improved version while playing.

I'm usually not a fan of rehashes and cow milking, but firstly, Monkey Island deserved it and secondly, this is looking and sounding good!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Arhu is offline

Arhu

Arhu's Avatar
Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

#56

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,337

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 11:07
Between the Monkey Island remake by LA and the Syndicate remake by EA, maybe we are seeing a trend to update classic games at last. Something gamers have been calling for for years! A few potential problems though, will enough PC gamers buy a Syndicate or MI remake? Will EA make the Syndicate remake another boring first person/third person shooter? Willeither of these remakes come out on PC?

The problem is nowadays, with almost any far off game, one of the questions is always 'will it be on PC'?
UK_John is offline

UK_John

Watcher

#57

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 84

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 11:35
Yes, the "retro" wave is rolling on, more and more.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#58

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,980

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 18:27
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/
You can even play the sword fighting game on that web site.
I am a fan of cow milking by the way.

And the TellTale one sounds good too, their Sam&Max series was really good.
bkrueger is offline

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

#59

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 796

Default 

June 3rd, 2009, 18:34
Theres plenty of remakes Id like to see. Never really played monkey island though. Full throttle and the dig are the only LA adventure games I have.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke
zakhal is offline

zakhal

zakhal's Avatar
HomelyRebel

#60

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europa Universalis
Posts: 2,989
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » One more lucasarts says good bye to PC
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:47.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch