|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Best Games of the Last Decade @ Yahoo! Games

Default Best Games of the Last Decade @ Yahoo! Games

December 20th, 2007, 11:25
Scavenhorde writes that Yahoo! Games has kicked up a Best Games of the Last Decade piece. Accolades go to Star Wars: KotOR and Oblivion, games like Baldur's Gate, System Shock 2 and NWN listed as runner ups:
As we turn down the home stretch of 2007, the Internet is bound to start buzzing with year-in-review articles. And we're no exception. In the coming weeks we'll be unveiling our Game of the Year awards, which will surely include more than a few looks back at the year that was.

But before we make history, we figured it would be worthwhile to remember it. From Zelda to Oblivion, from Liberty City to Azeroth, the greatest games of the past ten years have thrilled players while slowly but surely making a lasting impact on the pop culture landscape. Spanning several generations of consoles and introducing a variety of brand new genres, here are our picks for the best games of the last decade.

Note: Because the nature of this kind of list is inherently exclusionary and incendiary, we've included a list of other titles that we strongly considered for each year. An argument can certainly be made for each of these games as well. Please, easy on the hate mail.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 11:25
It's Skavenhorde, methinks.

On top of that, not listing a Game of the Year-hall of famer like Fallout for 1997 (at least as a runner up) seems a bit odd.

Brother None

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 13:19
lol, yep that's my name, but that's ok the spelling was close, at least it wasn't skavenbored

I didn't notice that Fallout wasn't there at first but your right it is a bit odd. They have as one of runners up for 1997 Golden Eye 007. Was that a game of the year anywhere? Anything with 007 on the title I quickly pass by at the stores.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.
Last edited by skavenhorde; December 20th, 2007 at 16:58.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 15:04
Golden Eye 007 was probably the GotY in quite a few gaming publications. It was the first good FPS on a console or somesuch.

KazikluBey

Sentinel

Default 007

December 25th, 2007, 16:39
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldenEye_007#Reaction

It won a good deal of awards and had nearly universal high reviews. Still, Fallout's reviews were equally high and it was examined by many more review sites/publications. I think the fact that it was left off the list just goes to show how underplayed it was considering how great of a game it was.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

January 3rd, 2008, 17:20
hehe … they actually listed Black & White …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 5th, 2008, 02:25
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater > System Shock 2 or Unreal Tournament? Rubbish.
The Sims > Deus Ex? Yeah, O.K., it's the best selling game of all time… Bollocks.

Bah.

StackSmasher

Crazy UNIX guy

January 5th, 2008, 09:13
Unreal Tournament and Ocarina of Time are two of my all-time favorites, so they are forgiven.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 5th, 2008, 13:40
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
Unreal Tournament and Ocarina of Time are two of my all-time favorites, so they are forgiven.

I was greatly disappointed by OoT, but then again that might be because I didn't play it till nearly 5 years after release. Regardless, The Twilight Princess was superior in almost every way.

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Best Games of the Last Decade @ Yahoo! Games