Avencast - Review @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A surprisingly good score for Avencast in GameSpot's review, which scores Clockstone's action/RPG at 7.5/10:
Describing Avencast: Rise of the Mage is a bit tricky. This role-player relies on WASD controls, but it doesn't have the nonstop action of a typical action role-playing game. Quests feature standard go-fetch objectives, although they're often jazzed up with adventure game puzzles. And while the plot strays into world-saving Dungeons & Dragons clichés, it begins with a bored teen mage doing the Hogwarts thing. With so much cross-genre experimentation, it's difficult to figure out what the developer was trying to get at, although the one thing you can say is that this grab bag of RPG styles comes together remarkably well.
More information.

I think that's a fair assessment of the game. I think the thing that's tripping people up with Avencast is that there are three camera modes and theres only one that is really useful. That's the biggest design flaw with this game, they should have only had one camera mode, IMO. Every review I've read brings up the 'camera' issue but once I figured out how to make it work right and get the camera settings right, it's a nice game.

I used chase mode myself. I'm assuming that's the one you are referring to?

I liked the idea of using the others since it kept the visuals less jarring but I could never get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom