|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Two Worlds (1.6) & Two Worlds: Temptation

Default Two Worlds (1.6) & Two Worlds: Temptation

February 2nd, 2008, 22:45
I bought two worlds. Got it really cheap. It was just an impulse, really.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect. It would seem that most people dislike the game and the review scores and the public opinion is mediocre at best.
I wasn't really interested in the game when it was released- didn't really do much reading about it. So I installed the game on my Win2k machine and patched it up to 1.6 expecting a shallow , action-oriented , graphics heavy , real-time , mediocre bugfest.

I was so wrong. Haven't been that wrong about anything in years!

The game is absolutely fantastic. I mean WOW! The atmosphere is great. The graphics, music, ambient sounds and overall feel of the game are pretty much flawless. Even the combat is fun (if you do it right). I have not encountered a single major bug. The only complaints I have are about the translated text being silly at times and the horse maneuvering being quite clunky , but I don't really mind.

There's so much to do! So many places to visit and so many quests to do and so many things to try and so many new items to collect.
I play an assassing/ranger/thief type char and it's so much fun: Sneaking up on a camp of bandits sitting around a bonfire - setting up a dozen of traps here and there - then backstabbing one of them (that's almost always instant-death) and finally running to a distance and shooting arrows while watching the bandits trigger the traps - it just never gets old Robbing houses/people is also very fun. I have been doing quests mainly for the shady "Gizira" criminal organization.

The skill/stat system and how all the game mechanics relating to equipment and inventory works great in my opinion. The world is huge and feels very much alive. I have never ran out of things to do and I have been playing pretty much non-stop since I got the game a few days ago! There is a lot of depth and plotting in the politics between the factions and the quests have not managed to bore me yet. Though I haven't even touched the main quest yet I can't say much about the magic system, seems nice enough and seems to be doing the job - I just summon a skeleton to my side every now and then (necromancy is forbidden in this world so obviosly I had to begin using it )

In my opinion this game is far superior when compared to many other free-roamers like oblivion or the gothic games (morrowind is still the number 1 free-roamer though). I was in awe the first few hours I played the game cause I was expecting something much much worse.

I just can't understand how anyone could describe this game as "mediocre" or give it a score below 80/100 - or worse. To me this game has been one of the best CRPG surprises in years! You're… You're just plain wrong!

Was the 1.0 / 1.1 version so bad? What am I missing here ?

The stand-alone expansion/sequel titled "Two worlds - Temptation" just climbed on the number one spot on my most expected games list.
Last edited by Zakhary; February 2nd, 2008 at 22:54.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 2nd, 2008, 23:41
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
Was the 1.0 / 1.1 version so bad? What am I missing here ?
I expect it so, regarding the size of the "patch" alone.

I didn't buy it so far, because I really don't want to download 1 GB or more over the internet. I really don't want to.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 3rd, 2008, 00:49
I plan to go back to it. Yes, the v1.2 I started with was pretty ordinary but my main complaint is the story and dialogue are so bad as to be childish. They're just awful.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 3rd, 2008, 03:31
@Zakhary - I loved the game also… played it a while ago and thought it was absolutely a blast. I enjoyed it much more than I did Gothic 3 (I know that's an unpopular opinion)…

Glad to see someone else enjoying a much underrated game. I can't wait for the expansion

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel

February 3rd, 2008, 03:50
I think most of the bad press came from the premature PC release (the patches make a HUGE difference ) and the apparently woeful 360 version!! I liked the game as you can tell from my review here at the Watch!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 3rd, 2008, 04:56
In my opinion this game is far superior when compared to many other free-roamers like oblivion or the gothic games

Slow down there grasshopper, I wouldn't go that far. Oblivion perhaps, depending on personal taste, but the Gothics?!?

Er………….no!

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 3rd, 2008, 06:14
No… Gothic 1 and 2 are far superior to Two Worlds (they are 2 of the best CRPGs ever IMO)… but it does easily beat the sad successor that was G3.

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel

February 3rd, 2008, 09:39
Yeah, well - I hated gothics 1 & 2, so saying that Two Worlds is far superior is not much of a leap for me.

I'm glad that I got that "impulse" the other day and decided to get the game. What a pleasant surprise. Especially after being so heavily dissapointed by Bioshock.
I was really waiting for Bioshock and wanted to enjoy it, not as an RPG but as an innovative/imaginative shooter. I like shooters too - I loved stalker.
But Bioshock was just plain bad.

Clear sky is number two on my most awaited games list btw

My personal opinion has been dramatically different from the scores at metacritic too many times now. I am going to have to stop reading other peoples opinions and… well… uh… start trying more demos or sumthin' ??

I wonder if there are many other recent excellent games that I have ignored just because of bad reviews or otherwise bad image.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 3rd, 2008, 12:55
Can't help but be curious….why do you hate the Gothics - and why is 2W better?

Edit: that was aimed at Zakhary.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 3rd, 2008, 13:11
I guess I SHOULD at least give some justifications when saying something
like that so here goes:

I disliked the gothic games very much because:
- The controls and the inventory system were horrible. (Excellent in TW)
- Combat was dull and frustrating at best. (Very much fun in TW)
- NPC Dialogue was weak (yes, TW has this too.)

Now, all these are relatively "minor" issues and could be endured if the game
would excell elsewhere. The biggest complaint and the one single thing that made me uninstall the game was:

- That.. uh.. something. Some might call it "atmosphere" or "immersion". That thing that I dont really have a word for. That factor that makes me forget that I'm just sitting in front of a computer playing a game. I was not interested in anything. Achieving things and finding new places in the game felt like nothing.
Gothics had no fun. No satisfaction. Nothing that would make me want to waste hours and hours playing it.

The exact opposite of Two Worlds or Morrowind.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 3rd, 2008, 13:24
I'm fairly sure anyone here will feel the exact opposite - that Two Worlds had bland combat and unbelievable atmosphere, while G1-2 did both right.

In fact, speaking of the combat, I must disagree: the combat in 2W is like Diablo (click-click-click), while the Gothics had somewhat more interesting combat. Yes, it still comes down to left-right-left-right with control pressed, but there are tactical options.

Same goes for "finding new places" - Two Worlds has some impressive sights, but when you get down to it, it's the same (you'll find those scaled bandits all over the place).

VPeric

Sentinel

February 3rd, 2008, 13:38
In TW, there are other ways to kill an opponent than just by beating them repeatedly with a melee weapon or casting an offensive spell again and again.

And even if you do choose to play beat 'em up, there are many skills that provide special attacks - some more useful/interesting than others - but still.

IIRC gothic was all about timing your attacks precisely.
Just timing your key presses (attack/block/dodge etc) is not my idea of tactical.
It's far from fun too.

EDIT: I'm sorry - I really did not mean this thread to be about bashing gothic, I was just trying to underline how happy I was of the very positive surprise that Two worlds is for me.
Last edited by Zakhary; February 3rd, 2008 at 13:46.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 3rd, 2008, 14:43
In TW, there are other ways to kill an opponent than just by beating them repeatedly with a melee weapon or casting an offensive spell again and again.
You mean like kicking dirt in their faces? Yeah, that's great, except just beating them up is more efficient.

Actually, maybe I'm being too hard on Two Worlds because the game was so easy - even on hard, once past a certain level (and I don't mean a high level - maybe something like 10!) I could kill everything with 2-3 fireballs. The fun decreases exponentially after that, IMO.

VPeric

Sentinel

February 3rd, 2008, 15:29
Backstabbing. Traps. Bombs. Shooting arrows from horseback.
Summoning something to do the beating for you.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 3rd, 2008, 18:12
Originally Posted by bkrueger View Post
I believe it would be better to stop this 2W versus Gothic 1/2 discussion.

As i understood the original idea of this thread was as follows:
Two Worlds is a fun CRPG, which was underrated by most critics.
And my personal view is even stronger:
2W can easily compete with all CRPGs of the last two years, except The Witcher, which is a class of its own (and possibly MotB, which I didn't play, because I was unimpressed byNWN2).
See my earlier post for some of my reaons.
So the recommendation for interested CRPG-Fans would be:
Try the demo of 2W (beyond some first likes or dislikes of game mechanics) in order to give it a fair try.
Exactly! Well put.

Here's the demo:
http://www.gamershell.com/download_20686.shtml

More languages here:
http://www.gamershell.com/news/41049.html

I believe that the demo is version 1.5. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1.5 is the "big patch" after which the game changed dramatically so hopefully the demo is indeed representative of the 1.5 version.

Try the demo. I think many of you will truly like the game.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 3rd, 2008, 19:16
Here's a very helpfull utility to all Two Worlds players:

http://www.insidetwoworlds.com/local…id=6&linkid=21

It's very easy to use, highly recommended for optimizing the game settings
and disabling the company intro logos.. etc etc…

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 4th, 2008, 11:05
As I wrote in my rather large thread about Two Worlds, I enjoyed it quite a bit. There are certain things that still annoy me, but mostly because we were promised so much (in terms of depth, character choices having an impact on the world, etc).

Overall I think Temptation is looking promising.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

February 4th, 2008, 11:15
Two worlds is fun and light hearted and does some things right, but the combat is pretty bland, the main quest extremely cliche, and there are some balancing issues. Not to mention that the inventory system means that you soon will spend A LOT of time backtracking to sell loot…

Still an enjoyable game, I enjoyed it more than Oblivion but less than Gothic 3. The good things about it are that it is pretty bug free, looks decent without being a system hog, and the scale of the world (distances between places, sights, scale of settlements) feel believable. IMHO it's worth buying to anyone who enjoys action RPGs, but not to those who play for the storyline (I sent JemyM a long PM on why he SHOULDNT bother with it)

I'll definitely get Temptation.

Zaleukos

Bum

February 4th, 2008, 16:07
Does anyone know if there are any online stores that are already taking pre-orders for Temptation? Please post here if so.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 23rd, 2008, 17:40
Just posted to say that I'm
Still playing two worlds and having tons of fun. Now that I'm deeper in to the game I'm happy to say that everything I said in the first post is still true. This is an excellent game and it still feels fresh and it still keeps on feeling interesting.

Damn I cant wait for the sequel/expansion thingy.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Two Worlds (1.6) & Two Worlds: Temptation