|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Available in May

Default The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Available in May

February 18th, 2008, 17:03
True to their word, the official Witcher site has posted the following news about new content this spring. It will be in the form of an 'Enhanced Edition,' and will include improvements to the load times and other technical polishing, the D'jinni toolkit, two new mods with 5 additonal hours of play, and significant improvements in translation for all language versions, especially the English and German. It's a very long document, and there is also an associated pdf file, so I will only be quoting a few snips:
…aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world. As you can see it is quite an elaborate release and it is important to us that fans all over the world be able to buy this version of the game. Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game!
For those who already own The Witcher, the new content will be available as a download:
Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "
And a short description of the mod content:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition does not only mean changes in the game's mechanics or better graphics, however. There's also an included mod editor called D'jinni that allows players to create or modify their own adventures in the world of The Witcher, as well as two completely new adventures created by CD Projekt RED. First adventure “The price of neutrality” tells the story of Geralt coming back to Kaer Morhen and finding mysterious camp near stronghold (3 new quests) while second one focus on Dandelion and his troubles in Vyzim City (5 quests)
Head over to the links above for more details. (You can also read the same text, but with bigger screenshots, in the forum announcement.)
More information.

magerette

Hedgewitch

February 18th, 2008, 17:03
That sounds very good. I've been holding off on witcher in anticipation of something like this. And seems I did the right thing. I'm sure the game is much more enjoyable with this thing. Seems like the game is already in pretty good shape from what i've heard but after this I expect a highly polished game.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 18th, 2008, 17:30
I'll be buying this even though I already have the game (for multiple reasons). Now *that* is an enhanced edition!

But, yes, if you don't already own it I'd imagine waiting for this version would be a good idea.

I hope it sells well…and with all those goodies in it I think it probably will. Would have been nicer to have 10 hours or so of mod/additional content though instead of just 5…but I'll get over it.

Majnun

SasqWatch

February 18th, 2008, 17:44
Even though i own the original version, i will probably get this as well.

DarNoor

Sentinel

February 18th, 2008, 17:49
How is waiting the right thing if the new content is also available as a patch?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 18th, 2008, 17:55
Well, the new version is still cooler than regular version + downloaded content. And stuff like the music CDs probably won't be in the download.

Ausir

SasqWatch

February 18th, 2008, 17:56
No that's amazing
I'm definitely going to buy this new edition!

Dagon

Watchdog

February 18th, 2008, 18:28
50 new NPC, 100 new animations… I bet those were done before the first release. Anyway, I am getting this one as well, maybe I will have a new rig to play it at max 1920x1200 res.

"A strong president, means having the strength to resist the temptation of taking all that power isn't yours" - Ron Paul

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions",- Government

mudsling3

Sentinel

February 18th, 2008, 18:33
This is great news and I thoroughly applaud it.

But seriously, buy it again? When you get most of the good stuff as a free download? If I needed another copy for some other reason I could see getting this new one as the way to go, but otherwise you're effectively doubling the cost of the game for yourself.

The only game I have two copies of is NWN, and that's because my second copy came free with the NWN2 collectors edition!

Holly Avenger

Watchdog

February 18th, 2008, 18:55
Originally Posted by mudsling3 View Post
50 new NPC, 100 new animations… I bet those were done before the first release.
Yeah, not so much Otherwise they would have been in the original version.

Tom Ohle

Watcher

February 18th, 2008, 19:13
"and significant improvements in translation for all language versions, especially the English and German"

This would really put The Witcher in the top rpg ratings for me, but, do I have to buy it again to get this?

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

February 18th, 2008, 19:21
This would really put The Witcher in the top rpg ratings for me, but, do I have to buy it again to get this?
No, if you already own The Witcher, you'll be able to download it for free.

Ausir

SasqWatch

February 18th, 2008, 19:24
This is mighty impressive, and that is the attitude that all developer companies should embrace (they won't of course, as they are money-hungry a$$holes). I'll definitely buy the Enhanced Edition. Well done, The Witcher team!

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

February 18th, 2008, 19:53
Originally Posted by Ausir View Post
No, if you already own The Witcher, you'll be able to download it for free.
Thanks, too lazy to be reading press releases today.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

February 18th, 2008, 20:38
This is what I've been waiting for too!

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

February 18th, 2008, 21:23
Don't forget the promo video which reveals that there is also a canadian mod team working on a third downloadable module.

http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZH_fSZqyM

kalniel

SasqWatch

February 18th, 2008, 21:34
They are re-recording voice-overs - that is something absolutely amazing.

fantasta

Watcher

February 18th, 2008, 22:55
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
How is waiting the right thing if the new content is also available as a patch?
You did not understand what I mean.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 18th, 2008, 23:49
I already have the music CD etc, from the Collectors edition I first bought, but I will definitely download the patch. I love this game!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

February 19th, 2008, 01:17
Sweet! I allready have the CE, so a patching it will be.

Now I just need a new PC to get off the low-setting option.

15th

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Enhanced Edition Available in May