The Fall: Last Days of Gaia

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Ok I'm seriously confused about something. I just bought this game yesterday at my local software store. It was a total surprise to me because I didn't even think they released this game yet, but here it is the English version of The Fall. I've looked all over the net for where to buy this game but so far the only place I've seen it is at my store. Gamestop and ebgames don't even have it listed.

I guess in Taiwan it's out and available, but the rest of the world isn't as lucky. That is a nice change of pace since normally it's reversed. It takes forever for just released games to get to Taiwan.

Since there isn't any lengthy reviews of this game, I'll let you guys know what I think after I've had a chance to play it for a bit. It sucks I have to work today on a Saturday because I'm dying to load this sucker up and play.

German game by Silver Style. We had a couple of articles about it on the Dot.

Reviews were pretty good. 80+% almost everywhere. Just don´t expect a Fallout clone, because that´s not what you get. Good characters, story, world, atmosphere. Sucky combat; RTwP but rather unspectacular. I heard the game is pretty short, like 15 hours if you rush through it.
Make sure you have the latest patch. They pumped like 2 GB of new textures into it and fixed a thousand bugs.

At one later point, kind of an "second edition" (don't recall the exact name) was published - at least here in Germany.

Finally finished installing my new hard drive (that is a serious pain in the butt downloading all the updates, drivers and patches) anyways I've played a little bit of it and got to say I love it. The RTwP isn't that annoying and the graphics are stunning. The one thing that is hard to get used to is that there is no speech, yet. There is an option for speech, so I'm assuming there will be an update later. Kinda wish that Beth would of went RTwP for Fallout 3 because so far it isn't that bad.

@Alrik There is a second edition? How long has this game been out? I remember the articles that Gorath mentioned and thinking that it looked like something I would want to play but then I forgot all about it because I never heard anything new about it.

I did manage to find a place online that sells it but it's from Amazon. Wonder why none of the major outlets have this. It was really cheap too over here too. Only about $18 US. Games over here are usually cheaper but not that inexpensive.

I've had interest in this game for years now... and never knew of an english release. Please give your impressions as you play... I would love to hear about it.

A text-book example of how to screw over a fan community. My understanding is that the English version was completed years ago but just never released - but that said, since Silver Style lied about any number of things it's possible they lied about that. Interesting that it is out in Taiwan and a few years ago I would have keenly tracked it down to buy.

Now, not so much.

Well, there's an english patch for the german version, are you sure that's not what you got?

It´s also possible that the English version was complete except for the voice recordings, which would have to be paid by the US publisher. Maybe SSE decided to collect some small money by a release in a few secondary markets.

I made a mistake earlier when I said Amazon (I was a bit tired when writing that last night) I meant to say from interwise the publisher over here in Taiwan that released the game. Here is the website if anyone is interested...it's in chinese though, but you see a nice picture of the game ;) and there are a few English words in the description like "fallout" "Black Isle" "Damien Foletto" "RPG". They really stressed the Fallout tie in. Fallout was even popular over here :biggrin: Sorta funny that when I walked into my usual software store the first game that the guy running the place showed me was this one and pointed directly at the english word "fallout" and told me it was in English. They know me pretty well at that store lol.

Linkies
http://www.interwise.com.tw/Web/Product/ifmProductMore.aspx?GameID=R060

You can try to buy the game here but you need to register and then click the big button next the the game. I'm not sure if they will ship to other countries or that it will be even possible to navigate through the webpage if you don't know chinese "I had to have my friend help me translate most of the page."

More Linkies
http://www.interwise.com.tw/Web/Main/Index.aspx?Content=../Product/ifmProducts.aspx?CategoryID=4

Sorry about not being to help more and sending you to Chinese websites but it's the only place I can find it now.

I just finished the training course and making my character which is done when you give this guy a passport thing and then it takes you to a window that lets you customize your character. It has the usual Fallout skills in it with some added twists. Like the technical skill that let's you make and combine different objects you find into something better. I haven't found anything to make yet but I pumped that sucker up to 55 because once I do find something I want to make it :).

The training grounds had me shooting cardboard cutouts of bad guys as fast as I can. Since this was my first time I didn't go too fast but there was no punishment other than "Next time try to go faster" lol.

The dialogue is done well. I don't get the feeling that it is a translated copy like I did in The Witcher sometimes. They have the usual dialogue choices like being a total jerk or helpful guy. There are some inbetween choices too but mostly you can be a jerk or not. I've only talked to the president so that may change later. Anyways I'm off and I hope they release the game somewhere near you because so far it really is great.

@Gorath I'm thinking you got it right. I've been to SilverStyle and there isn't any mention of the release of the game anywhere. They have some news about the English build and screenshots but that's about it. This is pretty weird that even on their website they would be quiet about releasing the game. The only thing that isn't done in the game is the speech. Everything else seems to run nicely and no crashes yet.

Whoever they did for the translation is absolutely wonderful. I hope CdProjektRed gets the guys who did the translation for this game because it feels like a western release. Without any weird use of slang or sentences that just sound wrong.

@Dhruin I'm curious but do you know why they didn't release it? Bugs or funding problems? I can see a lot of people being turned off by not having speech in it but other than that it seems like good game. They even have RTwP feature to appeal to the masses instead of a TB game like the real fallout.

Edit:Just formed a team. I have five guys I can hire, all with different specialties. It reminds me a lot of Silent Storm. They've got a few ideas from it like weapon familiarity. The more you use a certain gun the better you are with it. I've got a guy trained in crime, martial arts, driving, firearms, medical and I'm survival with the technical skill pumped up. The manual is in Chinese so I'm learning as I go.

Last edited:
Not everything SSE did can be explained with common sense. ;)

Now it´s no longer their decision. Silver Style was first integrated into a publisher, TGC - The Games Company, founded by their CEO and an experienced marketing guy, and then the publisher sold to 10tacle a few months ago.

I would like to buy the latest German version and than apply english text mod.

Is The Fall - Reloaded the latest one, with v1.10 patch and speech? Does this version includes printed manual or is this some sort of budget re-release of the game?

Yes, The Fall Reloaded is the latest version. It includes at least all the big patches with all the updates. The Starforce CP has been removed. It was indeed a budget re-release, so I wouldn´t expect a printed manual. A pdf is more likely. The price should be 9.99€ or less.

English Voice patch for The Fall

Sorry to bump this month old thread but it addresses me question. I have installed this German game The Fall and would like to understand what the story is about. Anyone know of a translation of the script I could read online of the voices heard in the movie clips in the game, especially the intro movie?

I have the English game patches but they are just for the text in the game not the voices. Though I really like the sound of the German woman's voice in the intro movie I would like much more to understand the story I am seeing unfold before my eyes. Did anyone ever find out if those guys ever really actually recorded English speaking voices to replace the German voices in the game?

Thanks in advance for any information on this. Any German to English translators here?

v1.10

I would like to buy the latest German version and than apply english text mod.

Is The Fall - Reloaded the latest one, with v1.10 patch and speech? Does this version includes printed manual or is this some sort of budget re-release of the game?

No v1.10 is not the speech [atleast not English anyway]. The version I have came with two patches v1.9 and 1.10 and both were German updates to the game not English patches. But I also got the English patch which came in two folders. Looking in the folders I see that this only solves the problem of the text messages displayed in the game not the voices which are still in German. You will know the patch when you see it's file size is comparable to the three German language .DAT movie files that come with the game which combined are nearly 360MBs.

Patch 1.9 is about 40MBs and 1.10 about 140MBs for a combined total of 180MBs. And the English patch I have is only 1.18 MBs.

I have a transcript of the intro movie, but none of the others.

* Thunder *

Girl: Mom, it’s thundering outside.

Mom: The storm can’t reach us in here, don’t be afraid.

G: I’m not afraid.

M: I know, you’re brave my dear.

G: What exactly is bravery?

M: That’s a good question. Men that endanger themselves for others are brave, but it can also be brave to tell the truth.

G: Is everyone brave like me?

M: * chuckles * No everyone, but some are. Our leader, for example.

G: Why is he so brave?

M: I don’t know. Sometimes you must do things that you don’t want to do at all, or that you are afraid to, do you understand? We owe our leader a debt of gratitude, you must never forget that. He was prepaired to sacrifice his life for us.

G: Mom. . .

M: yes?

G; Tell me about our leader.

(Fade to white while zooming in on girl’s eye)

M: The story begins long ago. Our leader was at that time a simple wanderer. One of the bands from the wastelands fell upon his village and killed everyone who lived there, invluding his mother.

G: Our leader didn’t have a mother any more?

M: No, he didn’t, and at that time he didn’t know where his father and sister were either.

(scene change to desert)

M: He thought that they might have fled from the band.

G: He was all alone?

M: Yes, he was all alone, and because of this he looked for people who would help him to find his mother and sister. One day he heard of people who were calling themselves “The Government of the New Order.” They were looking for fighters in order to fight against the bands.

G: I know the people from the Government! They run along the paths all the time and stand guard.

M: That was a different Government at that time, my dear. Earlier everything was much more dangerous. Because of this the Government wanted to protect the living and fight against the bands. And our leader wanted to join up with them. He wanted to find the band that had destroyed his village and revenge himself upon them.

G: And he wanted to look for his father and sister!

(fade to next scene – the Leader running)

M: Exactly. He knew that he had a long and dangerous path ahead of him. But our leader was not afraid, and he was very strong and brave. He rand for a long time and he was hungry and thirsty and the sun burned his face, but eventually even such a difficult journey comes to an end.

And so he stood one day before the gates of the Government of the New Order. . .

@Coshise A.I.
There are two versions of the v1.09 and v1.10 patches. One with the additional speech and one without the speech. Of course both versions are for the German version of the game since there is no English version. If you buy "The Fall - Reloaded" you get fully patched game. All you need to install is unofficial English text patch
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=366734&sid=07b1c8f8e524c3fdcc4cfe84ce4c2c52

There is no way to obtain English speech since it was not even recorded as far I know.

The "reloaded" version should be the one to buy, I guess, since it is, like Dark Savant already wrote, fully patched. Like a "Gold" version.

Back
Top Bottom