|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Key Features @ Next Gen

Default Fable 2 - Key Features @ Next Gen

February 25th, 2008, 22:43
Peter Molyneux's opening statements about Fable 2 features from GDC aren't likely to excite our readers but perhaps the inclusion of coop will be more incentive. Here's an early snip from Next Gen's report:
Molyneux wants Fable 2 to sell even more than the 3.5 million copies of the original. To do that, Molyneux has to make the game accessible to everyone, and make them care. "We need to make people of all skills feel cool playing the game," he explains. He's relying on the trifecta of drama, combat, and co-op play (and the fourth thing held up his sleeve that will involve "Fable touching more of the outside world").

Drama is a central element because it makes players remember your game, says Molyneux. He needed to create things that players cared about. The first was a pet dog that will follow the player throughout the game world of Albion. The second was a family — players can get married, have children they can provide for or abandon, and the family's presence (or lack thereof) affects a child's development. The third is dynamic regions. Everything you touch will change. The actions you take will have direct consequences on what you touch and what you've changed. Molyneux hints that at some point in the game you'll make a small change that will have huge consequences in the world's capital later on.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 25th, 2008, 22:43
That whole pet/family thing is kinda cool.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 25th, 2008, 22:56
Originally Posted by Zakhary View Post
That whole pet/family thing is kinda cool.
Fable sounded cool too…

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

February 25th, 2008, 23:05
remember now kids, Molyneux bad

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 25th, 2008, 23:36
Wow - I'm surprised to learn that some people actually found the first game difficult. I thought the controls could not have been simpler (especially on PC), and the choices in interaction were also not especially complex.

I'm all for lowering the bar to entry, but I can't help but feel that they're selling the franchise a bit short. I hope they don't dumb-it-down too much.

I know they (and other developers) are under tremendous pressure to reach broader audiences, especially in a world where analysts have lumped all flash games (good or bad) in on top of more "traditional" videogames (I know, I know … what's traditional anymore?)

I think it's a sad sign that games like Bejeweled (which I liked) and those wacky marble-train games are mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Fable. Though I suppose saying so is likely to invite a fair number of flames my way.

rbtroj

February 25th, 2008, 23:43
Co-op on PC?

kalniel

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2008, 23:47
I am still waiting on the promised potential from Black & White …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2008, 08:20
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
Fable sounded cool too…
And it really was, wasnt'it?

drum

Watcher

February 26th, 2008, 08:22
Originally Posted by drum View Post
And it really was, wasnt'it?
No it wasnt.

The Watchman

Watcher

February 26th, 2008, 09:53
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
No it wasnt.
My opinion is better than your opinion!!1!

Thaurin

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2008, 12:03
I liked Fable. I think the problem with B&W or Fable is not the game but the high expectations people build up when listening to Molyneux. The guy loves to talk about games and game concepts. He has some good ideas too, but they are not as revolutionary as one might think. Maybe the underlying technology needs to develop a bit further before his ideas can be fully implemented in a game and can really make a difference.

DaDoom

Watcher

February 26th, 2008, 14:48
Originally Posted by DaDoom View Post
I liked Fable. I think the problem with B&W or Fable is not the game but the high expectations people build up when listening to Molyneux.
Absolutely - I enjoyed Fable … it was a nice ~12-15 hour game with very limited scope. But that wasn't anything like the game originally promised …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2008, 15:08
Forget Fable and make Dungeon Keeper 3 damnit!

Chekote

February 26th, 2008, 15:44
Originally Posted by Chekote View Post
Forget Fable and make Dungeon Keeper 3 damnit!
Whoa! Now that would be something
Or Planescape Torment 2, imagine that!

DaDoom

Watcher

February 26th, 2008, 15:51
I think PS:T2 would be a bad idea. It would be insanely tough to live up to the original, and if it fell short, it would taint everyone's fond memories.

Besides, Peter didn't have anything to do with PS:T (He designed Dungeon Keeper)

Chekote

February 26th, 2008, 16:21
Originally Posted by Chekote View Post
I think PS:T2 would be a bad idea. It would be insanely tough to live up to the original, and if it fell short, it would taint everyone's fond memories.

Besides, Peter didn't have anything to do with PS:T (He designed Dungeon Keeper)
Why must they always make sequels? Id be happy for enhanced edition even. Same ol game except ported perfectly to modern computers with plenty of extras. Just like the EAs sports series (allthough preferrably more extras than that).

There are many games I played like over 10 years ago. I dont remember much if any details from them. Id be more than willing to play them again in modern versions.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 26th, 2008, 18:22
To do that, Molyneux has to make the game accessible to everyone
That sentence doesn't sound very thrilling…

How can they even make combat more accesible than it aleady was? Why is it so awfully wrong to expect gamers to learn how to play games? Isn't it part of the fun?

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

February 26th, 2008, 18:40
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
That sentence doesn't sound very thrilling…

How can they even make combat more accesible than it aleady was? Why is it so awfully wrong to expect gamers to learn how to play games? Isn't it part of the fun?
Perhaps they are trying to attract people who dont play games aka create new gamers.

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

February 26th, 2008, 19:20
Can somebody please tell me what Peter Molyneaux has done in the past 10 years to deserve this kind of attention and coverage?

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

February 27th, 2008, 07:37
One of the more interesting points he raises is the concept of family. For most of us our parents, brothers, sisters, spouses, children etc. play a major role in our lives, yet for some reason games almost always completely ignore this. I haven't seen much interest from gamers in this direction, but I think it would be worth exploring. After all, it's a theme that's all too prevalent in fiction; why must a game always cast the player as an orphan or a mysterious stranger who has lost his/her memory? When was the last time you received a letter from home while adventuring in an RPG? I'll be interested to see how Molyneux handles the concept this time around.

Geist

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fable 2 - Key Features @ Next Gen