|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Next Gen - Death of the M-Rated Game?

Default Next Gen - Death of the M-Rated Game?

February 27th, 2008, 02:09
We previously coverered some NPD data that suggested M-rated games were declining and it generated some discussion, so I thought it worth taking a look at this followup article at Next-Gen that tries to dig into the numbers a little. Author Matt Matthews tries to correlate the NPD data against Gamerankings (a methodology he acknowledges is imperfect) and finds an even sharper decline:
Now, where did all the M-rated games go? They're down in absolute numbers and as a percentage of the market. In my count they're dropped from 148 releases in 2005 to 79 releases in 2007, a more dramatic drop than the one shown in the ESRB's numbers for ratings assigned.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 27th, 2008, 02:09
This could be linked to a below article about the consolidation of the gaming industry into a few large companies. Large corpoations are only in the business for the money and by making all their games T or lower on rating they see that as trying for the largist market possible.

That would limit M rated games to small developers and maybe a couple by the big companies so they can get that audience and to show off technology.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

February 27th, 2008, 08:05
I need tits and excessive violence

Zakhary

Noble Savage

February 27th, 2008, 08:29
M rated means you can do storylines that wouldn't work in a non-M rated game.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

February 27th, 2008, 12:25
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
Large corpoations are only in the business for the money and by making all their games T or lower on rating they see that as trying for the largist market possible.
You mean sex&violance doesnt sell? Perhaps they dont have enough resources to develop both adult AND teen games so they focus on one group only. Theres no way they would ever abandon teens so teens it is. Welcome mickey mouse and sonic the hedgehog roleplaying saga.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

February 27th, 2008, 13:36
Yet I would argue that if you look at the past several years that M games have played a disproportionate role in the best games out there.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 27th, 2008, 15:27
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
Large corpoations are only in the business for the money …
What is a corporation supposed to be in business for? Gosh, to make money. If they make more money with T games than M games then it is in the best interests of their stockholders for them to make T games.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

February 27th, 2008, 22:06
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
What is a corporation supposed to be in business for? Gosh, to make money.
Well, I see it a bit differently than you.

Ages ago, the reason to do "business" was a) to supply people with goods they want/need, and b) to gain some profits.

The point where I see it differently than you is the scale of the profits.

In small companies, the profits are rather there to maintain the company and its employees.

But with a certain size of a company, this becomes out of control, so to say, and the "maintaining" principle is lost. The company just accumulate more and more like it will never ever stop. It has gone out of control, because the reason behaind gaining profits isn't anymore to maintain a company, but just to become bigger.

The only thing I see as similar like this is cancer.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 27th, 2008, 22:10
Funny how the direction of television and film seems to be going one way while video games are going in the other. Critics of all the increased nudity and violence in TV and film also blame corporate greed.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

February 29th, 2008, 16:16
I don't understand what's being talked about here. Good M-rated games sell very well. Gears of War was a massive smash hit. Bioshock to a slightly lesser extent. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and The Witcher were successful on PC. GTA IV will probably sell 10 million copies across all platforms by the end of the year.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Next Gen - Death of the M-Rated Game?