|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity: The Others » Divine divinity

Default Divine divinity

March 7th, 2008, 01:11
ok, I decided that it piked my interest enough to have a go at it… the thing is, I don't want to buy it just yet. I was thinking of trying out demo first. So last night when I finally got home from uni, I've hunted it down… waiting eagerly for 1.5hrs while it was d/ling. Then I've installed it… and when I played on shortcut….. I GOT DENIED! The error msg poped up and it was in GERMAN! I just got completely owned by it. So my question is… does anyone know where I can d/l a version that I can actually play? I don't want to waste another 400MB of bandwith. My brother and my parents will murder me *hides scared*.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

March 7th, 2008, 01:44
Buy it on Ebay.

It'll save you headaches!

And you can get it cheap.

The Wanderer

in paths untrodden
RPGWatch Donor

March 7th, 2008, 02:09
C'mon … it has action RPG play mechanics, and is one of the best RPG's in recent memory. And it is really cheap. Why fiddle around?!?!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2008, 02:48
I know I'm out on a limb with this but for me, it's the best hack'n'slash RPG ever. EVAR! For me, the combat works better than Diablo (or any other H&S) plus toss in an excellent character development system, a great loot system, nice alchemy (love making poison), quirky characters and a huge world to explore.

Just get it (but make sure to stick with it past that first dungeon).

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 7th, 2008, 03:44
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
That stopped me more than once … and I agree, perhaps even more. Divine Divinity is definitely in my Top 10 RPG's of all time.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2008, 04:25
ok, ok I will get it. Since I can't find it any stores I will just get on ebay….

BG2 fan girl

purpleblob

Princess

March 7th, 2008, 06:14
Or Amazon.au probably has it. It's surprisingly prevalent here in the states, for such an old and lesser known game. Saw it in Target, of all places, just the other day.

Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I'll "third" that! This and the rushed/empty end game are probably the only two glaring design flaws. The first dungeon can be pretty "grindy" for a bit, but it opens up after that. Of course, for someone with your tenacity (50 BG2 replays?), it should be a snap!

chamr

Mounted Highborn

March 7th, 2008, 07:13
Originally Posted by chamr View Post
Or Amazon.au probably has it. It's surprisingly prevalent here in the states, for such an old and lesser known game. Saw it in Target, of all places, just the other day.

I'll "third" that! This and the rushed/empty end game are probably the only two glaring design flaws. The first dungeon can be pretty "grindy" for a bit, but it opens up after that. Of course, for someone with your tenacity (50 BG2 replays?), it should be a snap!
well, I hope first dungeon isnt as detious as the beginning of morrowind…

and yep, 50 bg2 replays…

BG2 fan girl

purpleblob

Princess

March 7th, 2008, 08:11
I could not find Divine Divinity in any store, but a lot of *.au online shops have it for $9.95. (Just a DVD cheap case and disc. Manual lovers are outta luck)

Picked it up last week but have had not much time to play it. I needed to restart when I found you could move stuff around.

15th

Watcher

March 7th, 2008, 09:18
Here you go.

http://video-games.search.ebay.com/d…40QQsacatZ1249

I see quite a few in Australia.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 7th, 2008, 15:23
Just skip that first dungeon for as long as you can. Go explore everything else first, so you have all the levels you can gain before you try it. Then go in, die, and then try again with a lot of caution.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

March 7th, 2008, 16:53
this is a game i've been meaning to try for a long time now.

Zakhary

Noble Savage

March 7th, 2008, 21:19
What about Amazon ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 7th, 2008, 22:14
I'm going to re-emphasise what has already been emphasised - push past that first dungeon. It's ridiculously long (looooooooong) and will give you a false impression of the gameplay. You'll think you are playing some barely adequate Diablo clone and then it suddenly shifts to Ultima VII with dialogue trees and a sense of humour.

RPGWatch/RPGDot staff have a long history with Divinity and after my fellow editors talked about it, I tried the demo asap and thought they were mad. Then after so many other people said it was great, I tried it again and got through that dungeon. Glad I did - and like txa - it makes my Top 10.

-= RPGWatch =-
Last edited by Dhruin; March 8th, 2008 at 03:09. Reason: Syntax

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 7th, 2008, 23:18
I restarted again last night (dammit! I was going to finish Loki first!) … and am in the midst of that dungeon … boy this dungeon, while *exhausting* is SO much better than Loki … oh well, back into the metal case you go

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2008, 18:48
Ive done the same thing in regards to the beginning town and the first dungeon (Im assuming everyone is talking about the dungeon with the skeletons ?). By the time I get through the town quests and that dungeon, Ive shevled the game a few times now. I definitely want to get through that part of the game and see where it "opens up" a bit. Aside from the initial grind, I think the game has excellent potential. Ill have to give it another chance.

Nukester

Watcher

March 8th, 2008, 19:02
Towards the end of the catacombs you start to see some of the cool stuff (existential skeletons anyone?) … and I worked through the 'magic item' thing with El'Gammon in the Blue Boar … hilarious stuff. "as silent as an embarrassed fish' …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2008, 20:33
I shelved the game for a long time when I hit that dungeon. It is, as so many are saying, not a good representation of what you will have to do in the rest of the game. Why that one was so huge I will never understand. It made me search the other similar areas for the missing parts of them.

Bart and Corwin should just admit that when it gets down to it, I will have the final say.

Cm

Sentinel of Light

Send a message via Skype™ to Cm

March 8th, 2008, 20:55
I dunno … there are other *huge and exhausting* dungeons in the game … I think it is that it is disproportionately large for the amount of time spent in-game to that point … and really punishing.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 8th, 2008, 21:23
Just saw this at the local 2nd hand shop for 1.00 - should have picked it up I guess.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity: The Others » Divine divinity