|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity: The Others » Divine divinity

Default Divine divinity

March 8th, 2008, 22:32
What I liked very much of this game is that it contains many names of forum members.

Plus, you'll get to know kind of a poem of mine …
(Which can be "used" to do "different" things meanwhile … )

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 9th, 2008, 05:21
Saw it at Target for 10 bux.

thartanian

Watcher

March 9th, 2008, 08:29
at target? I should check it out. Are you from australia?

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

March 9th, 2008, 11:09
purpleblob: Previously mentioned australian online stores, all $9.95AU (Shipping varies). Others out there of course, but these are the only three places I've ever used aside from e-bay.

http://dstore.com.au/games/Divine-Di…y)/632854.html
http://www.gpstore.com.au/Games/1456690.html
http://gameswarehouse.com.au/longpage.asp?gameid=7085

15th

Watcher

March 9th, 2008, 11:13
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What I liked very much of this game is that it contains many names of forum members.

Plus, you'll get to know kind of a poem of mine …
(Which can be "used" to do "different" things meanwhile … )
Yeah, I got a huge thrill seeing Rendelius, Myrthos, Moriendor, Arhu, Bronthion and others in game. Lots of fun.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 10th, 2008, 16:21
The first dungeon was quite big and boring, but now, after I came back to Aleroth, now… the game is great. I can't stop playing it.

fantasta

Watcher

March 10th, 2008, 16:31
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I'm going to re-emphasise what has already been emphasised - push past that first dungeon. It's ridiculously long (looooooooong) and will give you a false impression of the gameplay. You'll think you are playing some barely adequate Diablo clone and then it suddenly shifts to Ultima VII with dialogue trees and a sense of humour.
Really?! I remember playing the demo (quite some time ago) and liking the early beginning parts of the game, then going to the first dungeon (under the statue/fountain/whatever it was, can't remember anymore) and running out of steam by the fourth or fifth level down, when conforted by yet another batch of undead to kill, kill, kill. I was thoroughly fed up with the game and didn't even consider buying it and playing it more (as I don't like hack n' slash).

My loss it seems… but what a poor demo/start for a game that (if what you say is true) is more like Ultima VII than Diablo. The first dungeon gave me a completely wrong impression of the game and destroyed my interest in the game (and, IIRC, you are forced to go there before you can get out of the town you start the game in). Oh well, maybe I'll get "DivDiv" from some bargain bin and give it another try - I just loathe the idea of going through the starter dungeon again.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

March 10th, 2008, 19:17
One other consolation - by the end of that dungeon you have gained enough experience and skills to be a pretty decent wrecking machine

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 10th, 2008, 21:03
Damn you all!! Now I've fired it up again… as if I need more distractions…

This game sure stands the test of time better than most. Some great design…

As a community service to the DivDiv community, some brave soul should take one of each class, play through the "starter" dungeon using as little skill and attribute points as possible, and then post the save game after they complete the dungeon so that folks can just dl that.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

March 10th, 2008, 22:16
Luckily I saved my last batch of savegames and was able to start at the point where I just entered the catacombs. Im slogging my way through it now once again. I know Ive gotten past this point before, and quit playing just as the second "town" I guess you can call it (some new area to enter to the northeast of Aleroth) opened up. Im going to try to keep the game going for awhile this time

Nukester

Watcher

March 10th, 2008, 23:14
The hack'n'slash combat is an integral part of the game so if you absolutely hate that aspect, you'll struggle. Personally, I quite enjoyed it (not a big H&S fan but I found this better than Diablo) with lots of different ways to approach the combat - melee, ranged, decent magic and I really liked using alchemy to make poison and apply it to weapons. They do get carried away with some other huge-ass dungeons but I think on balance it's still a great game.

Once you leave Aleroth, you are free to go (almost) anywhere.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 11th, 2008, 01:24
I think that huge first dungeon was primarily to create a fairly long demo of the game. Perhaps it backfired a little. Still, I enjoyed it enough to Buy BD!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 11th, 2008, 02:19
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
The hack'n'slash combat is an integral part of the game so if you absolutely hate that aspect, you'll struggle. Personally, I quite enjoyed it (not a big H&S fan but I found this better than Diablo) with lots of different ways to approach the combat - melee, ranged, decent magic and I really liked using alchemy to make poison and apply it to weapons. They do get carried away with some other huge-ass dungeons but I think on balance it's still a great game.

Once you leave Aleroth, you are free to go (almost) anywhere.
I think thats why I want to play this so much again. Once in awhile I like a good action, hack 'n' slash game. Recently I was in the mood for some mindless (more or less) hack 'n' slash play, and reinstalled Diablo II. That same night I re-uninstalled Diablo II. There is something about the game that I just hate, and I absolutely loved Diablo I.

Im still getting through Gothic II, but for a different kind of CRPG experience, Ive been play DD. Im down to the bottom of the catacombs now, and will try to give the game enough time to at least explore some of what I hear is a "huge" world.

Nukester

Watcher

March 11th, 2008, 09:05
Just curious, but which of the 3 classes did most of you find the most enjoyable to play?

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 11th, 2008, 09:39
I played primarily a mage, with a few handy warrior skills thrown in for those times when only a sword will do!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 11th, 2008, 10:22
Survivor with ranged weapons, poisoned arrows and a couple of handy spells.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 11th, 2008, 11:28
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I played primarily a mage, with a few handy warrior skills thrown in for those times when only a sword will do!!
Same here - classic 'battlemage', with a smattering of skills from other classes.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 11th, 2008, 13:38
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I think that huge first dungeon was primarily to create a fairly long demo of the game. Perhaps it backfired a little. Still, I enjoyed it enough to Buy BD!!
Are you still talking about Divinity or about Beyond Divinity ?

About Divinity: I'd agree, but cut the term " a little".

I know many reports from people who especially didn't like the first dungeon within Divinity.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 11th, 2008, 17:00
Survivor also, ranger and theif build with some spells and poison thrown in.

Has everybody here finished the game? I put about 80 hours into it (up to Zix Zax the Almost Wise—Part V-?)-and there was still a staggering amount of gamage left.

IMO the first dungeon was quite fun, if a bit over-long, and a good leveling tool, but then I like that arpg hack-n-slash stuff. There's a lot of similar areas in the game, but you are pretty wound up in the plot by then, so they go by faster.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

March 11th, 2008, 19:28
Survivor of the Assassin variety. Sneak and backstab with poison, Hell Spikes and bow to augment where necessary. And, being weak to "cool skill" temptation, too many onesie and twosies spent all over the place…

Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Has everybody here finished the game?
Of course not. But I will some day, dammit!!

Originally Posted by magerette View Post
IMO the first dungeon was quite fun, if a bit over-long, and a good leveling tool, but then I like that arpg hack-n-slash stuff.
I think build probably has a lot to do with it too. Mine was not well suited/weak so it was a long slog of "plink, plink… RUN!!!"

I think my second run through (cha… right…) will be more of the battlemage type for power-bashing fun.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Divinity Games » Divinity: The Others » Divine divinity