|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Would a Gothic fan enjoy playing VtM-Bloodlines?

Default Would a Gothic fan enjoy playing VtM-Bloodlines?

March 11th, 2008, 03:19
i just observed that the patchers of VtM-Bloodlines have released new version of patch. i am aware that they are actively involved in making the game "playable" and more. having never playing the original version, i was wondering how a fan of Gothic series would fare? will i enjoy the vampire story-line? your thoughts please..

Intel C2D E4500 @2.20GHz Kingston 2GB RAM (DDR2 667) MSI NX 9800GT (512MB DDR3)

lanux128

Sentinel

March 11th, 2008, 06:43
the official patch 1.2 makes the game playable, though the unofficial ones do fix some random bugs that pop up under certain circumstances and add a bunch of stuff that had been removed from the final version. if you like gothic for the well written story and dialogue choices, and mature theme then yes you should love bloodlines. gameplay wise though there's not much similarility. both two of my top 5 games though for what that is worth.

what do you mean by original version? if you mean VtM: Redemption, don't worry its a good game though different(party based,linear) but the story, characters, etc have zero connection other than vampire lore in the vein of white wolf.

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq

March 11th, 2008, 10:36
I think that VtM is a natural pick for those who love the style and combat mechanics of Gothic, as well as those looking for a good story. VtM has some flaws - as does Gothic - but it is one of the best RPGs I've played. Some folks get put off by the whole vampire thing.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 12th, 2008, 01:09
I think Vampire Masquerade is a great game. It's not as good as Gothic, but if you're looking for something to play, you could do a LOT worse. Highly recommended.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

March 12th, 2008, 01:36
Great game, great atmosphere, great writing & characters. It'll play well on a 3800.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

March 12th, 2008, 03:32
as noted above, i was put off by the vampire story-line thinking this was a horror-themed game. but i'm glad that i asked, i'm going to give this game a try after i run through Gothic 3 (just some minor details left).

Intel C2D E4500 @2.20GHz Kingston 2GB RAM (DDR2 667) MSI NX 9800GT (512MB DDR3)

lanux128

Sentinel

November 23rd, 2008, 03:33
Gotta love spam…The ads never make any sense.

Do these people actually believe that spamming this stuff will get more people to their site? Gotta say at least the English in this one is ok. It's better than the usual COME GET SUPER BUY ME POWER AT www.lazygamerswhosuck.com

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

March 22nd, 2009, 08:59
Prior to getting addicted to Gothic, I had been playing a lot of VtmB. Make sure and grab the companions mod!

wynams

Watchdog

March 26th, 2009, 01:39
I just played VtM:B for the first time earlier this month, and I loved it. I've been a huge fan of Gothic since G1.

So to answer your question - yes, I think you would enjoy it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 10th, 2009, 00:52
I'm a huge fan of this game. It's one of the universe's great mysteries why it didn't do better.

I don't know what about the recent patches or anything (I thought the development company had gone bust actually) but I played it back when it came out and didn't have any trouble at all with it. It's a great game. The story, characters, voice acting, graphics, atmosphere, sexy scantily clad women around every corner… it's just plain cool.

The only thing that might put people off is the combat system (melee). I found it to be a click click click fest without much in the way of moves or combos, but it didn't bother me. Stealth kills never got old, and you can buy a katana, I love any game where I get a katana.

If I were you I'd look for a mod that allows you to buy any armour you want when it becomes available. Normally the armour you get is restricted by your clan, and the Ventru get the coolest armour with the long leather coat.

I sold my copy ages ago and I really reget it as I'd love to play it again. It's one of those games that I will always remember fondly.

If you get it I hope you enjoy it. Spread the word if you do.

human_male

Math and girls is hard.

April 11th, 2009, 06:33
Originally Posted by human_male View Post
I sold my copy ages ago and I really reget it as I'd love to play it again. It's one of those games that I will always remember fondly.
Is available on Steam and the community update patches, companions mod and widescreen fix work flawlessly w/ steam on or offline.

wynams

Watchdog

April 11th, 2009, 08:51
It is a great game, definitely no horror except one part in the game, that was so creepy (the hotel )

The only minor thing about the game is that from a point close to the end it will turn in just simple action game ,what is a pitty but still fun part

This is my way of the Ninja: I never take back my word

titus

Substitute Shinigami

Send a message via MSN to titus

April 11th, 2009, 10:53
@ lanux128, Did you ever play Deus Ex? If you liked Deus Ex (who didn't?), then you'll like VtM:B. Very similar in terms of gameplay, just different settings.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 11th, 2009, 12:04
Bloodlines is something different from Gothic, so it's hard to answer if you'll like it or not. It's like asking if Planescape Torment is good for Baldur's Gate player Anyway I recommend it to cRPG players that like great characters, interesting story, horror-styled games and parodies. Damn, and you HAVE TO play as Malkavian! Not necessarily first time but you have to. YoUr WoRlD wOn'T bE sAmE aNyMoRe.

EDIT:
If you liked Deus Ex (who didn't?)
I didn't like Deus Ex but VtMB is one of my favourites games ever. I wouldn't call these games similiar.

Konjad

Watch traitor from Codex

June 25th, 2009, 20:16
Bloodlines still remains one of my favorite games. I'm a total nerd for horror and RPGs and this has both. I'd actually say Bloodlines and G3 handle somewhat similarly, in the way that player control is kind of loose. Since it's based on vampires obviously it's a pretty dark game at times with black humor if you like that sort of thing. I didn't find it too RPG heavy though, except for the copious amounts of (well-voiced) dialogue. It plays more like an action game in ways.

And as stated, you definitely have to play as Malkavian, preferably on your second playthrough. This is a game you'll probably end up playing more than once. Playing Malkavian is almost like a different game since they view things so differently and have such wildly different dialogue options.

larry138

Black Blood

Send a message via AIM to larry138

June 28th, 2009, 06:18
Originally Posted by Konjad View Post
I didn't like Deus Ex but VtMB is one of my favourites games ever. I wouldn't call these games similiar.
VtMB is one of your favorite games and you didn't like Deus Ex?! The influence of DX was very obvious in VtMB imo. DX set the modern groundwork for that type of first-person crpg.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 28th, 2009, 13:55
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
VtMB is one of your favorite games and you didn't like Deus Ex?! The influence of DX was very obvious in VtMB imo. DX set the modern groundwork for that type of first-person crpg.
I very much agree … don't see the disconnect there.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

June 28th, 2009, 20:11
Completely different settings might be what he means …

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

June 29th, 2009, 20:31
I love both games and honestly I don't really see the connection, either. I guess I'm overlooking something really obvious that links the two. And, from reading around these forums a bit, I do believe I'm the only person who even marginally enjoyed DX2IW haha

larry138

Black Blood

Send a message via AIM to larry138

June 29th, 2009, 21:17
Originally Posted by larry138 View Post
I love both games and honestly I don't really see the connection, either. I guess I'm overlooking something really obvious that links the two.
In one word, gameplay. In more words, character creation and development, similar skill systems with meaningful choices, well defined but different paths through the game depending on those choices, wrapped in an FPS package with a good and interesting story.

That about sums it up I think. Totally different settings and stories, yes, but the gameplay mechanics were very similar. And simple as it may sound, I don't know of any other games like those two, with the exception of System Shock 2, which came before (and perhaps 1, which I never played).

Until late in Deus Ex resp. VtM:Bloodlines, skill points were very scarce and mattered a lot throughout the story and they defined how you'd play the games. Deus Ex even had you make exclusive choices for character development with augmentations, which mattered also. In both games, each problem could be solved in at least 3 very different ways, which can be loosely described as sneaking, talking or fighting. (I don't really remember talking in Deus Ex, but it probably had something else instead.)

Note that there weren't too many skills / paths / choices either. If there were too many, they wouldn't really have made a difference. The amount was just right to be meaningful.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Would a Gothic fan enjoy playing VtM-Bloodlines?