|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Frayed Knights Interview

Default RPGWatch Feature: Frayed Knights Interview

March 27th, 2008, 21:54
magerette - Knot entirely…

We had fun brainstorming names one day, and coming up with adjectives to describe the group that ran counter to type. The pun no doubt figured in, especially with the double-meaning of "Frayed" (as in … 'Fraid… which worked really well for the title screen). It just had too many levels.

Plus most of the other names we came up with were just too corny, lame, or rude.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

March 28th, 2008, 03:21
Originally Posted by Roi Danton View Post
PS: Finally a new RPG with humor, good how I loved that Bard's Tale remake (ow, don't hit me, the game was glorious…*starts running*)
I'm with you on that one, I'd probably have been up set if I paid full price for it, but for $10 on sale it was a pretty good game.

V7

Keeper of the Watch

March 28th, 2008, 06:22
Originally Posted by RampantCoyote View Post
magerette - Knot entirely…
*snip*
Plus most of the other names we came up with were just too corny, lame, or rude.
At least you aren't calling your outfit Gamecock.

That really is one of my favorite jokes, so I'm predisposed in the game's favor already.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

March 28th, 2008, 08:45
Rather intriguing, definitely some cool ideas. I usually like my RPG's serious, but it sounds worth a look, so I'll definitely give the pilot a chance. Thanks for bringing another indie up on my radar, guys.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

March 28th, 2008, 10:49
Here at the Watch, we aim to please!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 28th, 2008, 13:08
I've just been "flying" over the text … but the general idea reminds me very much of Grotesque, another upcoming RPG.

Anyway, everything sounds quite interesting so far, this at least.

And now, *reading* the interview …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 29th, 2008, 00:35
I don't recall ever hearing of Grotesque!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

March 29th, 2008, 01:15
You're wrong: There *was* a small news entry here in the news of RPGWatch last year !

It was a link to an German-language interview quite quickly (and imho badly) translated by someone of the Codex.

http://www.grotesque-game.de/

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 29th, 2008, 01:20
3x newsbits.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/news?ref=0&id=113

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 29th, 2008, 01:23
My memory is not what it used to be. Old age does that!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

March 29th, 2008, 01:33
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I've just been "flying" over the text … but the general idea reminds me very much of Grotesque, another upcoming RPG.
Didn´t the Grotesque guys change their key game ideas for the umpteenth time? I´m not sure what the game is about now.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

April 1st, 2008, 17:46
I was excited when the game was compared to Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. but then I read that the full game is only going to be 20 hours and I wondered if the author ever played Wizardry, Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, etc. Epic was the name of the game in the old days. It's why I replay the classics so many times. A 20 hour game just never grabs my interest. By the time you start playing, the game is over.
Anybody ever finish Wizardry, Bard's Tale or Might and Magic with a 12th level party? Didn't think so!

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

April 1st, 2008, 19:27
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Didn´t the Grotesque guys change their key game ideas for the umpteenth time? I´m not sure what the game is about now.
lol, I don't know either.

But I can ask around.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 2nd, 2008, 02:02
I don't want to speak for Jay but I think putting together 100 hours of content is pretty damn hard for an indie. Jeff Vogel does it (or close to it) but then everyone whinges that the engine is the same.

These days, I just don't have the time for many big games, so a good (assuming it's good) 20 hour game is fine with me. Fallout is the absolute, final proof to me that a 20 hour game can be fantastic.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 2nd, 2008, 02:38
It took me a LOT longer than 20 hours to finish Fallout, but then I'm a slow and thorough player!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

April 2nd, 2008, 02:54
You're not thinking of FO2? FO just isn't a very big game. I mean, it might take 25 or even 30 hours (how do you count exactly, anyway?) but it isn't a 50-100 hour monolith.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 2nd, 2008, 02:57
I'd say 30 was closer to what it took me, but I agree, it's not a 100 hour marathon!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

April 2nd, 2008, 13:39
I'm still playing NWN1 - first official campaign.
I'm at the end now, though.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 3rd, 2008, 00:34
It took many of us years to finish the OC too, it was SO boring we couldn't bring ourselves to keep playing it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

April 3rd, 2008, 03:08
I was excited when the game was compared to Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. but then I read that the full game is only going to be 20 hours and I wondered if the author ever played Wizardry, Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, etc.
But I don't want to stretch it out in length just to make it long. That's not what defines the old-school experience for me. And they re-used a lot of content to do that - whipping out a map on a 10 x 10 or 20 x 20 grid by using tilesets like that, and throwing lots of random encounters around would be a very easy way to make a longer game. And I *could* do something like that. But if given the choice between 20 very entertaining hours and 40 hours that consisted of 20 very entertaining hours and 20 so-so hours, I'd rather go with the shorter experience and let you move on to playing Eschalon: Book 2 or something.

Now, I'm getting a lot of reports from testers that the initial adventure took them closer to 2 hours to complete, but part of that might have been because they didn't have save game functionality in until just this last build…

Anyway - I'll provide as much content as I can for my li'l indie budget. Going the true 3D route makes content development a wee bit more challenging, but I'm trying to pack it in with as much *detail* that's worth exploring as I can.

We'll see if I succeed or not.

RampantCoyote

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Frayed Knights Interview