|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Voodoo Extreme - Favourite RPG Series Poll

Default Voodoo Extreme - Favourite RPG Series Poll

March 31st, 2008, 22:14
I failed to notice the poll while it was running but I see VoodooExtreme has tossed up the final results of their Favourite RPG Series poll and it's interesting to see how a wider audience view the genre. The top three are Baldur's Fate, Diablo and Elder Scrolls clustered close together with Fallout a little behind in 4th.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 31st, 2008, 22:14
Interesting. Obviously, there are others they could add on, but looks like they hit the major ones. I'm surprised NWN isn't higher given the community support of the game.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

March 31st, 2008, 23:25
A shame Ultima has fallen so far behind. I guess the balme for that is to be laid entirely at EA and their product policy's doorstep for ruining both our fun and their own franchise this way.

Moorkh

little backer that could
RPGWatch Donor

March 31st, 2008, 23:44
I believe that from the younger gaming generation(s) no-one actually knows Ultima.

And it gets worse in the next years.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 31st, 2008, 23:56
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I believe that from the younger gaming generation(s) no-one actually knows Ultima.
Even some of the older gamers who had a significant other who hated computer games fall into this category .

I started with Might & Magic VI and Baldur's Gate. There, the decision is easy .

Turjan

Sentinel

April 1st, 2008, 00:49
My top list would be:
1. Might and Magic (specifically 3 and world of xeen)
2. Ultima (all except 8 and 9)
3. Gothic
4. Gold Box
5. tie between Fallout and Final Fantasy
6. tie between Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR
7. The Elder Scrolls
8. Baldur's Gate

I never was able to get that interested in the Baldur's Gate games so that is why they are at 8 on my list. Diablo is also towards the top of my most detested series ever and also on my most detested games ever.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

April 1st, 2008, 02:34
It is sad that the graphics in older games detract younger players so many times. I am working on replaying Might & Magic II for a 20th retrospective and it really isn't bad at all in my eyes - and my kids don't mind it either. But they have proven 'open for the experience' before (I swell with pride )

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 1st, 2008, 03:54
It's all about getting used to it again. When I first start back an old game, it's painful, even with the nostalgia. But once I'm sucked in, the graphics no longer bother me at all.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

April 1st, 2008, 13:26
I have been looking into Might & Magic II, but although I really like the outdated graphics of Commander Keen, for example (hey, I always mention it when it comes to what I call for myself "old" games ! ) , I just couldn't play it, because there was just too few to see, so to say.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 1st, 2008, 14:25
My choice would be krondor and ultima underworld series simply because they havent made games like that for long long time.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

April 1st, 2008, 16:19
I'd have to say Bard's Tale, Wasteland, or any SSI goldbox.

Bruticis

April 1st, 2008, 16:57
It's too hard to pick a favorite RPG series, IMO. I'd say TES, but then there are the two that weren't so hot…Gothic, but glitches ruined the second game for me and caused me not to buy the third…KOTOR, but it was never patched for ATI (and that's the card I had at the time), and the second game was never actually completed.

The Baldur's Gate games worked, and that's a nice feature.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

April 1st, 2008, 17:33
It's always odd to me to see Diablo lumped in with all the rest—and I'm a fan of the game. It just doesn't seem to fit with games like Baldur's Gate.

I actually voted on this poll, for the Might and Magic series, and was happy to see it there as it's not nearly as mainstream as the other titles. I think it's also cool that Fallout scored higher than a more modern game like KotOR.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

April 1st, 2008, 23:30
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
KOTOR, but it was never patched for ATI (and that's the card I had at the time)
Huh? I played it on an ATI Radeon without problem. Dunno what patched I used, though.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

April 1st, 2008, 23:38
Originally Posted by BillSeurer View Post
Huh? I played it on an ATI Radeon without problem. Dunno what patched I used, though.
It was widely discussed at KOTOR fan sites and on its official forums. The devs blamed ATI.

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

April 2nd, 2008, 00:11
Zahkal: Krondor isn't a series but a game and a spiritual successor and not even in the same universe. I would have had that near the top if it was and you should read the books that Betrayal At Krondor is based upon from Raymond E. Feist. (if you haven't already)

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

April 2nd, 2008, 00:25
I'm glad no one told my ATI card then!

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

April 2nd, 2008, 00:55
ATI cards have some problems with games … The game "Cultures" for example is said to get a pinkish colour with the use of ATI cards …

NVidia cards are none better … Right now I experience that new cards are "too good to be true" which means that older games simply don't run with them.

Had I known this, I wouldn't have bought my NVidia-based 8600 GT card …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 2nd, 2008, 03:02
Missing is Wizardry and Bard's Tale.

With (relatively) recent and successful versions released of those games you'd think they might have gotten a few more votes than even Ultima.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

April 2nd, 2008, 05:11
ppl still play diablo series so much? amazing. I thought there are enough MMORPGs to distract ppl from diablo series.

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Voodoo Extreme - Favourite RPG Series Poll