|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Universe Review @ Strategy Informer

Default Gothic Universe Review @ Strategy Informer

April 8th, 2008, 05:48
Strategy Informer has taken a look at DreamCatcher Interactive's compilation of Piranha Bytes' Gothic games, bundled together as Gothic Universe. They score the collection at 7.9/10:
Gothic Universe combines the first three Gothic games into one convenient package for a slightly higher than budget price. The good thing about the package is that unlike many of the lesser, cheap game series compilations, it actually contains a jewel case for your game discs. Also of note is the fact that the game includes the gold edition of Gothic II, which contains the original game and the Night of the Raven expansion. Other than that, the Gothic Universe package is very anemic – you just get the game discs, and a copy of the Gothic 3 manual – everything else is in digital form. It’s a bit of a shame given that they could do so much more for a series package for games the size of the Gothic titles – why not bump up the price and throw in some playguides, soundtracks or something like that to make it that little bit more special? Fortunately, the games in the package are rather good.
Conclusion:
Gothic Universe is certainly a package stuffed to the brim with gameplay, offering up three fully fledged RPGs for a bit over the regular budget price point. While we all would have liked a Gothic compilation package with some bonus materials, the Universe compilation should prove adequate for anyone looking to see what all the fuss is about. Gothic Universe is perfect for someone that’s looking for a good chunk of gameplay, but isn’t prepared to drop too much coin.
More information.

magerette

Hedgewitch

April 8th, 2008, 05:48
The good thing about the package is that unlike many of the lesser, cheap game series compilations, it actually contains a jewel case for your game discs.

Huh?!? Did anyone else get a jewel case with Gothic Universe? The discs only came in paper sleeves with my copy.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 8th, 2008, 08:33
Same here. Three discs in paper sleeves. One paper card with text of Product Warranty and links to technical support. One registration card. No manual; none of Gothic3, either. It's very basic.

Turjan

Sentinel

April 8th, 2008, 10:06
First time I've ever seen G3 getting a better review than G1/2. Anyhow, I'm just glad to see Gothic getting some PR again, it's been a while.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

April 8th, 2008, 13:02
Maybe Strategy Informer got an promotional copy ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

April 8th, 2008, 13:25
Pretty sure mine's in a jewel case for Gothic 1 & 2 with gothic 3 in it's standard UK edition. I'll check when I get home.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

April 8th, 2008, 13:57
The version available in Ireland (UK edition) is packaged in a cardboard box containing a jewel case with three DVDs: Gothic I, Gothic II Gold and Gothic 3. The only printed manual included is Gothic 3. There are no extras, which I feel was a big missed opportunity on JoWood's part. The series has a huge cult following that would pay for the same games again merely to get the goodies (who wouldn't want a felt map of Khorinis?).

The saving grace of the package is that it's dirt cheap - budget game price.

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

April 9th, 2008, 03:59
Sounds like us North Americans got the shaft once again.

JDR13

SasqWatch

April 9th, 2008, 18:28
For some reason continental European developers/publishers seem to be quite bad at marketing and distributing their games in the States. Which is bad news for American strategy and RPG fans as Europe is where most of the interesting games are being developed right now. Of course you can always just order the UK versions of upcoming titles from an e-tailer like play.com, they tend to be less censored in any case.

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic Universe Review @ Strategy Informer