|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - Preview @ GamesRadar

Default Alpha Protocol - Preview @ GamesRadar

April 23rd, 2008, 23:28
The first preview on the web we've seen, GamesRadar has a look at Obsidian's Alpha Protocol:
Yet what Obsidian want to stress more than anything is that Alpha Protocol is a role-playing game. You’ll have multiple missions open in different hubs around the world (locations currently being bandied about include Taipei, Rome, Moscow and Saudi Arabia) and you’ll be able to flit between them at will - each one containing one overarching operation and a cavalcade of minor missions leading up to it - be they stealing sensitive data on a hard drive, tailing suspects or extracting information from grumpy NPCs through bribery, diplomacy or murder most foul.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 23rd, 2008, 23:28
Note: PC Zone UK does. Games Radar only hosts it

(yeah, I'm really anal about this stuff, but everyone is crediting Games Radar for this, while it's good ol' PC Zone UK's Will Porter writing)

PS: still smells too much of the new genre of RTwP run-and-gun RPGs a la Mass Effect/Fallout 3 to me. Don't like that.

Brother None

SasqWatch

April 23rd, 2008, 23:35
I read the byline. It says "Words: Will Porter, PC Zone UK". You are probably right but that doesn't categorically state if the article is a complete republish or based on the PCZ article or if Will from PCZ simply wrote it - I'm not going to sweat about it.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 23rd, 2008, 23:42

Will is good people, note.

Brother None

SasqWatch

April 24th, 2008, 00:20
You make it sound like I'm disparaging him? I don't understand. GamesRadar is a Futurenet portal just the same as CVG is…you don't complain when we link to a CVG article that was probably sourced from PC Gamer UK. Since they're all the same company, what's the problem?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 24th, 2008, 00:30
Dude I was just joking around with that last post.

No problem, like I said in the first reply, I tend to be very anal about this for some reason. I also complain when people credit CVG for PC Zone articles (though not every time).

Brother None

SasqWatch

April 24th, 2008, 01:11
Funny really as CVG the mag is older than Future Publishing the company.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

April 24th, 2008, 05:12
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Dude I was just joking around with that last post.

No problem, like I said in the first reply, I tend to be very anal about this for some reason. I also complain when people credit CVG for PC Zone articles (though not every time).
Hmm, sorry then. Perhaps being all the way down here and ever seeing these mags, the portals are more real than the paper editions.

Or something.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 25th, 2008, 01:19
PS: still smells too much of the new genre of RTwP run-and-gun RPGs a la Mass Effect/Fallout 3 to me. Don't like that.
We still have the Alien RPG right? Maybe Obsidian is just doing the mainstream PLUS hardcore thingy there, hoping to develop two different styles of games at the same time?

Wendigo Design, by Tiago Sá

Morbus

Watchdog

Send a message via MSN to Morbus

April 25th, 2008, 02:17
Considering it's friggin' Aliens, I don't think we'll see less run-and-gun in that game.

I'm overreacting a bit because I was hoping more from Obsidian's debut original IP, and spy-based sounded tantalizing to me. But the game just doesn't sound that interesting. That doesn't mean it won't be good, but I was tired of this RTwP run-and-gun aRPG genre before it even started.

Brother None

SasqWatch

April 25th, 2008, 08:22
I kind of like the run and gun RPG hybrid genre, but that doesn't mean that every game should be like that. But that's the way it is with ervery hype, I guess - copy the formula that worked and hope for better sales.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

April 25th, 2008, 14:35
I like both (well, all) kinds of RPGs and I also really like Thief/Splinter Cell so I think this will be great.

BillSeurer

Eternal Supreme Dictator

April 25th, 2008, 21:11
Well, this part sounds very promising:

“Essentially, the player chooses a ‘stance’ for Thorton (suave, professional,
or aggressive - although the actual breakdowns branch a great deal from this) and then Thorton responds appropriately - and amusingly,” explains Rucinski, having selected his own internal suave stance. “The dialogue system is also set up so that you can’t repeatedly have the same conversation with an NPC to try to find the ‘best’ answer or all the information available. This means that if you are a jerk to a person you will get a reaction the next time you talk to them. It reinforces how important that first impression is.”

Conversations will whip along at a realistic pace, with you selecting changes in how Thorton responds to maintain the flow of real-life chatter. Gaming’s former forays into the lives of secret agents, Deus Ex aside, have only ever focused on the guns-blazing elements, and perhaps a pretty lady or two in cutscenes. Alpha Protocol wants you putting in the legwork, doing the reconnaissance, chatting up the receptionists and looking moody in fancy hotels - it knows the excitement isn’t all in the violence, but in the setup, the situation and the supporting cast. In premise and pedigree, it’s a sure-fire license to kill. Let’s hope the execution is as flawless as it needs to be.
If it can capture some of the feel of the old PnP RPG Top Secret, I'm there.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Alpha Protocol - Preview @ GamesRadar