|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Let's Play AoD! #2

Default RPGWatch Feature: Let's Play AoD! #2

April 14th, 2008, 12:32
With cash in pocket from the first mission, our assassin in the second episode of "Let's Play The Age of Decadence!" decides to hit the market and get a map appraised. It sounds like a straight forward setup but Vince D. Weller shows how the Streetwise skill opens up new options, even in this simple scenario.
Read it all here.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 14th, 2008, 12:32
I like the use of Streetwise; the number of skill checks in AoD is indeed impressive - good stuff.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2008, 13:37
Visually, it got a great BG feel.

I'm just worried gameplay wise of the fact it doesnt seem a party based rpg.

I'm also wondering of the depth of the game. The number of options seems incredible, perhaps they have a huge team of scripters or they have been working on it for five years?

vanedor

SasqWatch

April 15th, 2008, 13:45
My understanding is VD wrote the entire script. I would guess he would say it's amazing how many options you can provide if you aren't held back worrying about voiceovers or getting the art pipeline to do another 50 animations. Most of these choices don't require new art or locations - just some simple skill checks and text.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2008, 14:28
I LOVE the way playing with the appropriate skills opens up different aspects of the lore and different perspectives on in game situations. I'm one of those people who obsessively reads all the books and suchlike in games, definately looking forward to playing this one.

Indie game developer.

Dev Blog

Naked Ninja

Watchdog

April 15th, 2008, 15:38
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post
Thanks for the compliment.

I'm also wondering of the depth of the game. The number of options seems incredible, perhaps they have a huge team of scripters or they have been working on it for five years?
The game has been in development since Mar 2004.

Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
My understanding is VD wrote the entire script. I would guess he would say it's amazing how many options you can provide if you aren't held back worrying about voiceovers or getting the art pipeline to do another 50 animations. Most of these choices don't require new art or locations - just some simple skill checks and text.
Pretty much. It's a matter of focus. Some games are focused on mind blowing visuals (Crysis), some games are focused on choices & consequences (Arcanum), some games are focused on tactics (Jagged Alliance), etc.

Originally Posted by Naked Ninja View Post
I LOVE the way playing with the appropriate skills opens up different aspects of the lore and different perspectives on in game situations. I'm one of those people who obsessively reads all the books and suchlike in games, definately looking forward to playing this one.
Thanks, Gareth.

VDweller

Watchdog

Default Kill Feng

April 16th, 2008, 10:15
Bugger tried to trick us…kill him and run away.

SnallTrippin

April 26th, 2008, 21:39
Originally Posted by vanedor View Post

I'm just worried gameplay wise of the fact it doesnt seem a party based rpg.

I'm glad it's not party based.

karka

Watcher

April 27th, 2008, 00:44
I do so like the old Guilds from old rpgs. So I'd progress along it's path, but being a stealth player I don't want to spoil it.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2008, 10:49
I had a dream last night that AoD got finally released, but they did not accept credit cards for download, the price was 1000 bull skins in cash and nothing else could do…

Oh, well, I got carried away. While the release is still in a while, are we going to recieve a new special like this one anytime soon? Thanks.

drum

Watcher

May 13th, 2008, 13:00
We don't have the next one organised just yet but, yes, we should have another one in the next few weeks.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2008, 19:29
I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days.

VDweller

Watchdog

May 13th, 2008, 19:31
While you're here VD is the box version you're putting out the 'collector's edition' or do you have 2 box versions coming out or is that old news on the web-site?

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2008, 19:38
Originally Posted by VDweller View Post
I kind of assumed that there was no interest (for many reasons, including the spoiling nature of the articles), considering the low response, but if that's not the case, I can have the next article ready in a few days.
Youre kidding right? AoD is definetly one of the more interesting future games. It was even praised in last months printed games mag I happen order. I do hope there will be a CE.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

May 13th, 2008, 19:46
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Youre kidding right? AoD is definetly one of the more interesting future games. It was even praised in last months printed games mag I happen order. I do hope there will be a CE.
There will be a Collector's Edition, check out the Unofficial FAQ on the Iron Tower Studio forums.

May 13th, 2008, 19:51
Originally Posted by woges View Post
While you're here VD is the box version you're putting out the 'collector's edition' or do you have 2 box versions coming out or is that old news on the web-site?
One box … to rule them all.

Basically, we have a digital version for people who don't really care about boxes and printed material goodness, and want to pay as little as possible, and then we have a boxed edition for people who like collecting pretty boxes, putting nice, full color glossy maps on walls, and reading nice looking manuals with pictures and concept art while visiting certain waste management facilities.

VDweller

Watchdog

May 13th, 2008, 19:59
Kind of like Stardock with Sins of a Solar Empire and the like- it's a good method.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

May 13th, 2008, 20:06
I'm really interested in the game, but you are right: I'm a bit afraid of too many spoilers .

Turjan

Sentinel

May 14th, 2008, 01:53
I think the spoiler aspect means another one probably hits the limit but don't pay too much attention to the comment rate. The articles are largely self explanatory and there's no controversy but that doesn't mean they aren't being read.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 14th, 2008, 05:47
Yes, this isn't the Codex where articles get ripped just because they're there!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Let's Play AoD! #2