|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Big Rumour

Default Diablo 3 - Big Rumour

May 22nd, 2008, 16:52
Originally Posted by Reyla View Post
Y'all may yawn and hoo and haw but games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale owe their ability to be made to Diablo.
I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. All of those games you mentioned are D&D licensed games. And D&D licensed games have been made for the PC for years and years….. If anything, the games you mentioned owe their ability to be made to the original Gold Box games from the late 1980s (as well as other well established franchises like Wizardry, Ultima and Might and Magic)… and I would go as far as to say that Diablo owes its ability to be made to them as well…

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel

May 22nd, 2008, 17:08
Predictably, Blizzard denies the rumor:
Update: "We definitely appreciate that the community has a lot of interest in seeing the Diablo series continue, and we certainly share that desire," a Blizzard representative told Shacknews when reached for comment.

"For now, though, our focus remains on StarCraft II and Wrath of the Lich King. I'm afraid I don't have any new plans to announce at this time."

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

May 22nd, 2008, 18:24
Y'all may yawn and hoo and haw but games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale owe their ability to be made to Diablo.
IMO they owe their Combat-System to Diablo - and that is not a good thing, I would have prefered turnbased Combat

The Germans are a cruel race. Their operas last for six hours and they have no word for "fluffy".

Captain Blackadder

Fenris

Proto-Nerd

May 22nd, 2008, 21:11
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
IMO they owe their Combat-System to Diablo - and that is not a good thing, I would have prefered turnbased Combat

Huh???

Lay off the bottle.

JDR13

SasqWatch

May 22nd, 2008, 21:16
Hm … Wrath of the Lich King … Isn't that actually LOTR ???

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

May 22nd, 2008, 21:16
Eh? BG: Infinity was in production in what…1995? Then Interplay took BioWare under its wing, shoved the D&D license at 'em and hey presto, Baldur's Gate was born. I'm not sure anymore what year it was, but I seriously doubt Diablo had much to do with it.

Brother None

SasqWatch

May 22nd, 2008, 21:30
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Eh? BG: Infinity was in production in what…1995? Then Interplay took BioWare under its wing, shoved the D&D license at 'em and hey presto, Baldur's Gate was born. I'm not sure anymore what year it was, but I seriously doubt Diablo had much to do with it.
Yes… Bioware was working on their Infinity engine way before Diablo came out to the public. And you're right it was not actually going to be a D&D game… it's original name was Battleground: Infinity (or Battlefield: Infinity - I can't remember exactly… it's been a long time).

Then, like you said… Interplay came along with their D&D license and said… "this looks good… now make it a D&D title"… and the rest is history

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel

May 23rd, 2008, 06:18
I seem to recall Baldur's Gate being called Iron Throne before the name change.

Oh, and when will the fact that every human creation in existence has been inspired / helped by another creation - in one way or another - dawn on people?

The success of Baldur's Gate might have been helped by Diablo, but even if that's the case, so what?

Does that mean we have to worship Space Invaders or whatever game is considered the birth of gaming?

It's irrelevant.

That said, I loved Diablo.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

May 23rd, 2008, 09:32
I do enjoy isometric action games like ultima8 in 1994 and crusader no remorse in 1995. Diablo was released 2-3 years later in 1997 and it looked like a cheap rip off. Even the graphics were uglier.

Allthough one might compare diablo more to rogue. I never liked rogue.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

May 23rd, 2008, 10:06
I never liked Diablo 1. The levels in the dungeon just weren't interesting enough (except a certain one). However, I really enjoyed Diablo 2, so I'll probably pay attention to any news of D3.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

May 23rd, 2008, 11:03
Originally Posted by zakhal View Post
Allthough one might compare diablo more to rogue. I never liked rogue.
Indeed, 'rougelike' is the snuggest fitting categorisation for Diablo, but for some reason the contemporary press didn’t make that connection and thus the world was saddled with the inaccurate (and redundant) 'action RPG' label.

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

May 23rd, 2008, 15:36
The original game was rather a "new" version of what I know as Nethack.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 - Big Rumour