|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - Spector on Game Design

Default Gamasutra - Spector on Game Design

June 18th, 2008, 00:15
Gamasutra has an article up called One Hundred Hour Games Are On The Way Out featuring Warren Spector on current trends in game design. Among other points, he has this to say about game design and games as team projects:
"Building a game is as complex as making as a Hollywood movie. Do we have the right people and how do we harness creativity without crushing it? We are in a business that is both software engineer and entertainment, and we have to balance it. It used to be that you could trade off gameplay for graphics, but you canít do that anymore."

As he has often done in the past, Spector commented on his frustration with some of the dominant tropes of video games. "I love working with Disney because I'm so tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns. I donít want to make those any more," he said.

"Game costs are going to be $35-40 million, even $100 million, and the expectations are huge. You have to differentiate yourselves. One-hundred hour games are on the way outÖ How many of you have finished GTA? Two percent, probably. If we're spending $100 million on a game, we want you to see the last level!"

Even on the other end of the economic scale, Spector did not paint a rosy picture. "I heard people say that casual games are where to go as an indie, but you still need to differentiate yourself because thatís a really crowded field," he pointed out. "If you donít make it on the front page you donít get your game seen."
More information.

magerette

Hedgewitch

June 18th, 2008, 00:15
Yeesh. Good luck mainstream gaming. I cannot follow whence thou goest.

Ion Flux

Traveler

June 18th, 2008, 04:42
Originally Posted by Spector
I love working with Disney because I'm so tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns. I don’t want to make those any more
So come up with a new game idea, numbnuts…

Ever heard of brown leather?

Korplem

Shipwreck

June 18th, 2008, 19:15
Originally Posted by Korplem View Post
Ever heard of brown leather?
Why not pink ?

ď Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius Ė and a lot of courage Ė to move in the opposite direction.ď (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gamasutra - Spector on Game Design