UFO: Extraterrestrials - Progress Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It's a bit quiet news-wise so this is a good time to catch up with UFO: Extraterrestrials, the XCom "remake" we have previously followed a little. With a current release date of Autumn 2006, the site has news they have identified 206 bugs and have worked through 147 of them, although more are expected. Thanks, dte!
More information.

There's been a plethora of UFO remakes over the last few years, but they've either never reached completion or have not been quite satisfying for whatever reason. I hopes for this one - fingers crossed!

Yeah, this game looks great. UFO:Aftershock was pretty good. Its hands down the best RT w/P combat I've seen (but still crap compared to good TB), and the training system was pretty good. I was hooked until the aliens invaded, then it kind of got too repetetive. But all the early UFO's were retetive. But when its a TB system with long battles, your never going to do battle after battle after battle after battle like in the new UFO's. I probably did more combat missions in a couple days playing aftermath/aftershock than I did in a couple weeks playing Terror from the Deep.

Repetitive

... (but still crap compared to good TB), and the training system was pretty good. I was hooked until the aliens invaded, then it kind of got too repetetive. But all the early UFO's were retetive. But when its a TB system with long battles, your never going to do battle after battle after battle after battle like in the new UFO's.

I loved XCom but it got repetitive too after the umpteenth time some UFO landed. Eventually I always would get to the point where I would try to shoot them down over water so I wouldn't have to do another "cleanup" mission.

Black_Lord, perhaps you never heard of the Ur-Quan Masters, a free remake of SC2 ?

Actually, I played the 3DO version, and the port. But since you mentioned it, I checked Toys for Bob's page and saw this bit:

Toys for Bob want another Star Control and need your help! (Sunday, April 16 2006)

A few days ago, Toys for Bob, the creators of Star Control 1 and 2 (but not 3) made it known that they were in talks with the Powers That Be at Activision about what their next game should be.

They decided that the stars are finally right, and are trying to convince the Powers that their next game should be a Star Control game. And they're asking the fans for help.

If we could send them mails in support of a new Star Control, they could use those as a powerful argument in the discussion.

Read more about it on our petition page.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Here's an updated update on this game and its release date:
http://www.pcgames.de/?article_id=521880

Since Ufo Defense & Terror from the deep were released I've always had a game going. Being very familiar with the history of the IP, thus why another was never made, hasn't alleviated my desire for a true spiritual successor.

I've been following the Development of Extraterrestrials a few years and I'm glad Aspyr and Michal Dolezal of Chaos Concepts pushed the release date. It's nice to see someone strive for a polished release for a change.

Ubbax
"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure,
which is: try to please everybody." - Herbert Bayard Swope

Back
Top Bottom