|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blizzard - Mike Morhaime Interview @ Eurogamer

Default Blizzard - Mike Morhaime Interview @ Eurogamer

July 3rd, 2008, 19:55
Blizzard's CEO speaks to Oli Welsh.
Eurogamer: World of Warcraft expanded Blizzard's audience hugely by moving into a new area for the company - MMOs. But with StarCraft II and Diablo III you've got games that seem made very much for your core fans. Do you see yourselves experimenting with other genres again?
Mike Morhaime: You mean taking a franchise into a new genre, kind of like we were going to do with StarCraft Ghost?
I think with each game that we create, we try to figure out what type of game we want to make, and then we think about what's the most appropriate franchise, the most appropriate setting for that game. We do it on a case by case basis.
For instance, World of Warcraft - I think the foundation for that idea probably dates back to after we released Warcraft II. We thought, wow, this would be such a great game to create a virtual world around, where you're a character inside the game and you can explore this fantastic universe. Technology finally advanced to the point where it was feasible to make the game. So, genre first, then franchise.
More information.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

July 3rd, 2008, 19:55
For instance, World of Warcraft - I think the foundation for that idea probably dates back to after we released Warcraft II.
Riiiiight. If you're asking me the idea probably dates back to after they excessively played Ultima Online and Everquest.

Ionstormsucks

Major Villain

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blizzard - Mike Morhaime Interview @ Eurogamer