|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Anyone played Spore yet?

Default Anyone played Spore yet?

July 9th, 2008, 10:08
Just curious what the game is like, it's getting a ton of hype. What was your impression?

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2008, 11:21
All that is out now is the 'creature creator' … fun but limited.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2008, 11:43
Wasn't aware that the main game isn't even out yet. So the Creature creator is some sort of demo?

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 9th, 2008, 16:58
Yesno. Noyes. It is simply a creator for creatures which - as far as I know - can later be imported into spore.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It's as if there was a strat game out soon and they'sd release the editor (for making maps) prior to that.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 9th, 2008, 17:57
Full game at the end of August, IIRC, subject to delays.

There's a demo version of the creature creator with about 25% of the various bits and pieces. You can also purchase the full version. I have no idea why anyone would want to pay $10 to get a "lego kit" a few months early that will be included with the full game, particularly when the demo has enough "blocks" to at least give you a feel for how it will work.

Looking forward to the game, though.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

August 15th, 2008, 11:46
The game has gone gold, will available on september 5 in Europe and september 7 for both US and Asia Pacific.

Will be in stores starting September 5th:

The wait is almost over! Electronic Arts and Maxis today announced that Spore, the most anticipated video game of the year from the creator of The Sims, has gone gold and will be available for the Mac and PC at retailers September 5 in Europe and September 7 in North America and Asia Pacific. Spore Creatures for Nintendo DS and Spore Origins for mobile phones will also be available globally September 7.

Players who preorder Spore or Spore Galactic Edition from participating retailers will receive a coupon good for $10 off their next purchase of custom merchandise at www.zazzle.com/sporestore. For the ultimate Spore fan, the limited Galactic Edition will contain the 'Making of Spore' DVD, 'How to Build a Better Being' DVD (a 50 minute National Geographic Channel documentary DVD hosted by Spore mastermind, Will Wright), 'The Art of Spore' hardback book, an exclusive Spore poster, and a premium 100-page Galactic Handbook.

"We are so excited to finally get Spore into the hands of fans and players," said Lucy Bradshaw, executive producer of Spore at Maxis. "The Maxis studio has had an absolute blast creating Spore, but the fun is just beginning. The most engaging stories are truly the ones people create themselves, and we can't wait to see how players not only craft and explore the Spore universe, but hear what stories they have to tell as a result."

Spore gives players their own personal universe in a box, allowing fans to create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even spaceships. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world via the Sporepedia(TM) and explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers*. For all the latest Spore news, screens, videos community content, and to try out the trial version of the hugely popular Spore Creature Creator, visit www.spore.com.

*Internet connection required.

Remus

Antihero

September 8th, 2008, 15:57
No love for the Spore? Impression?

Remus

Antihero

September 8th, 2008, 16:59
I've read a review (Norwegian), and it said the game was "fun, but limited" - you can be very creative, but once you've made your creatures and get them going, you'll hit the end of the game fairly soon, without as many options as the reviewer would like. The overall score was 7/10.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

September 8th, 2008, 17:11
Been playing it since yesterday. Interesting game but too easy to become a predator species (that may just be me though). Plays a bit like a MMORPG - levels and epic gear (body parts) and grind if you want. I started off trying to be a peaceful species (herbivore) with spikes for protection and now I'm in stage 2 and already wiped out 25 other species. Controls can be a little flakey but it's a good game once you get it running (I had to use the latest Nvidia beta drivers).

It does draw you in - which for me is always a good thing

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
JAMES BRANCH CABELL

Kendrik

Thin Blue Line

September 8th, 2008, 19:09
Keep us posted, Kendrik. This one was on my "to buy" list, but I'm so far behind on games that I'm looking to be a little more choosy.

Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

September 9th, 2008, 02:50
I was going to play it on the Mac, but it has wonderful Mass Effect style DRM, so I'm waiting for a price drop, hopefully Circuit City will have a sale in a week or two … but then I'll be playing STALKER Clear Sky, Crysis Warhead, Witcher EE, and a few others I can't recall … and that doesn't cover the PSP and DS onslaught about to happen …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 9th, 2008, 02:57
just like Bioshock - another game that I should by all rights be chomping at the bit to play, yet i couldnt care less. I'll wait for a demo

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

September 9th, 2008, 09:58
From what I've heard so far it's quite interesting in the beginning but ultimately becomes very easy. It tries to blend different genres - Sim, RTS, and action, yet the individual aspects of those are dumbed down compared to other titles.

JDR13

SasqWatch

September 9th, 2008, 14:13
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I was going to play it on the Mac, but it has wonderful Mass Effect style DRM, …
And a nice litle shitstorm that has caused:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/09/…ponents-a.html

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

September 9th, 2008, 18:11
Quick Update. I kinda Ground the Creature stage (2nd stage) to become the ultimate predator (wiped out 138 species) - this stage reminded me of WoW. I then chose to evolve to the next stage So just started the tribal stage which is like a RTS. The extra work I did at stage 2 seems to have paid off. I'll let you know how this stage works out. Must admit at this point it drags you in which is strange considering it's normally the story that drags me into things.

Sadly I named the creature based on my 2 yo daughter intending it to be a pacifist creature who made friends but insted it's a whirlwind of destruction - hmmm art imitaing life

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
JAMES BRANCH CABELL

Kendrik

Thin Blue Line

September 9th, 2008, 18:20
Originally Posted by Kendrik View Post

Sadly I named the creature based on my 2 yo daughter intending it to be a pacifist creature who made friends but insted it's a whirlwind of destruction - hmmm art imitaing life
I assume that means it's reached it's teenage years.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

September 10th, 2008, 11:56
I never really understood the excitement for this and the various reviews and comments I've read have left me even less interested.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

September 10th, 2008, 12:50
Saw the normal box. "Internet connection is required for registering" in this sense.
Saw the collectors edition box. "Internet connection is required for playing", exactly in these words.
Both in German language.
I found it kind of impressive to use two disctinct words / formulations for basically the same.
But I must admit that I don't know whether the collector's edition *really* needs an internet connection for playing meanwhile the normal one does not … ? That means that I'm confused - if the words actually mean what they say, then the collector's eduition is imho "weaker" in my eyes insofar that it needs a (permanent ?) internet connection for actual playing, whereas the normal edition does not.
You see, I'm confused.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 10th, 2008, 13:00
Hmm… http://antispore.com

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

September 10th, 2008, 13:55
If it offends the zealots, it can't be all bad, eh JemyM?

dteowner

Shoegazer

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Anyone played Spore yet?