|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Debut Trailer @ Gametrailers

Default Dragon Age - Debut Trailer @ Gametrailers

July 12th, 2008, 12:22
As promised, the Gametrailers-exclusive world debut trailer for BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins is now online.
The 60-second trailer offers around 30 seconds of in-engine footage (although whether this is representative of the gameplay is unclear), once you take out the long logo sequences. The video shows the start of a bloody pitched battle with two sides clashing and does look suitably impressive - if reminiscent of a scene from a LotR movie.
Thanks, Jabu!
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 12th, 2008, 12:22
A pretty neat video, but it didn't actually show us any gameplay. I'm still waiting for the first screenshots/videos of gameplay (I recall some pictures being out several years ago, but I assume those are outdated by now).

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

July 12th, 2008, 14:21
Well, that was derivative.

Dyne

Watchdog

July 12th, 2008, 15:48
It was adequate for what it was intended - get mainstream audiences tracking E3 stuff interested in the game again. The goal has got to be to sell the ~2 million copies that NWN managed. I expect no more from a 'teaser' anymore.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2008, 16:08
Hopefully when they have gameplay clips they will paint a somewhat more compelling picture. This is next to useless in that respect, being effectively a cut-scene - they should have called it that really - that gives little of the flavour of the world etc.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

July 12th, 2008, 17:30
Watching this trailer on gametrailers.com makes me think whether DA: Origins will be a real RPG game or a RTS/RPG hybrid. The footage shown in this trailer clearly reminded me of some battle scenes in LOTR, especially the battle for Helms Deep.

The trailer felt cinematic, though…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

July 12th, 2008, 17:45
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Hopefully when they have gameplay clips they will paint a somewhat more compelling picture. This is next to useless in that respect, being effectively a cut-scene - they should have called it that really - that gives little of the flavour of the world etc.
Agree, but I don't think it even gave much of a feel of the world. I came away with nothing nothing but an impression of baroque armor. And even that's hardly unique, since apparently every fantasy developer feels that better graphical horsepower should be put to use in making armor and weapons more ornate. And more dingy.

Are there supposed to be dragons, or is the title just an acknowledgement of the game's generic fantasy nature? That would be my first question if this trailer were the first I'd seen of the game.

Yeesh

Hopeless Curmudgeon

July 12th, 2008, 17:55
Originally Posted by Yeesh View Post
Are there supposed to be dragons, or is the title just an acknowledgement of the game's generic fantasy nature? That would be my first question if this trailer were the first I'd seen of the game.
Sorry, for the almost double post, but I would just like the comment on this quote.

Yes, there wiull be dragons. However, they will not be similar to the dragons in D&D; they are more like forces of nature. Ordinary people like farmers and craftsmen probably won't see a dragon in their lifetime.

I don''t think this game, DA: Origens will be generic fantasy at all…

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

aries100

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2008, 18:35
Too short to tell much about anything except that this was very high quality, competent work—as one would expect from Bioware—it does definitely live up to the name of "teaser" though.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

July 13th, 2008, 09:40
The official forums say that another trailer will be released on Sunday, also on gametrailers. It will be a slight variation of the first one.

Originally Posted by Chris Priestly@Bioware
As I posted in teh first video trailer, this second video is a slightly different version from the first. It is not an entirely "new" video as much of the contesnt is the same between the two.

still, the difference is quite striking and offers a different glimpse into combat. Sort of.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

July 13th, 2008, 10:46
I must say that I'm a bit confused about WHY Bioware would choose to release a cinematic teaser that not only makes little sense (something about a king and a "blight") but also STILL shows nothing about what Dragon Age is going to look like or play like (game mechanics).

I'm not going to claim that a new bar has been set but compared to Blizzard's Diablo3 unveiling last week I must admit that Bioware's Dragon Age unveiling feels a bit tame.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett
Last edited by fatBastard(); July 13th, 2008 at 13:54.

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

July 13th, 2008, 11:59
I think Bioware probably just were taken by surprise by the announcement of Diablo 3 and then maybe hastily? put together a trailer of what they had?

To me, the trailer just peeked my interest in this game. Bioware is doing what every good artist is doing, keep them wanting coming back for more.

I bet in the coming weeks and in the coming weeks we will be overfed with gameplay trailers and info on this game…

Also, it is not an unveiling of the game…it is a teaser trailer…to peek people's interest in the game up to the upcoming E3 event…

aries100

SasqWatch

July 13th, 2008, 13:08
No, they would have been planning this for a long time. It's pretty standard practice to do a pre-E3 "reveal" and teaser. They might have been surprised at the extent of Blizzard's revelation but I doubt it had any impact on their process at all.

What they misread is the mood of gamers in terms of getting a teaser for a 4-year old game. That said, they'll show more at E3 and everything will be forgotten.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 13th, 2008, 17:40
Looks like they got Peter Jackson to direct to me.

Is that me? Or does the direction looks very similar to the recent LotR films?

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

July 13th, 2008, 18:03
No, not just you.

Just checked Gametrailers and no new videos as yet..

magerette

Hedgewitch

July 13th, 2008, 18:31
The next trailer for DA: Origins should be up in a little while as it will be up about 9 AM Pacific time = 6PM Danish time. (or 5 PM British time).

I really do hope it is a different trailer, though, or at least a different view on the trailer we saw yesterday…

aries100

SasqWatch

July 13th, 2008, 18:38
Both teasers are utter crap. Great job, BW, you've got me totally uninsterested in the game.

Here's the link for the second one, in case you are intrigued (you should not be):
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36127.html

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

July 13th, 2008, 18:41
I liked the second one more. Graphics-wise it looks good.

EDIT: After downloading the HD one and viewing it fullscreen, I must say I'm really impressed. Looks great. The second one should have been released first.

And it lost a bit of the LOTR-ish feel. Which is a good thing.
Last edited by danutz_plusplus; July 13th, 2008 at 18:52.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

July 13th, 2008, 19:09
You guys beat me—but it's up on the front page now.
Did you really think it was that different? I had a hard time telling it apart from the first one.

magerette

Hedgewitch

July 13th, 2008, 19:22
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
You guys beat me—but it's up on the front page now.
Did you really think it was that different? I had a hard time telling it apart from the first one.
Yeah, I felt it was different. First of all I noticed how high in detail the characters were. In the first one some of them looked rather ugly. Textures looked better in this one, and the lighting was also better. And there were a couple of frames featuring large armies. And it felt less like LOTR, for me at least.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Dragon Age - Debut Trailer @ Gametrailers