Gothic 3 - Review @ Strategy Informer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Strategy Informer has posted their review of Gothic 3, awarding a score of 7.8/10. Let's go with the obligatory Oblivion reference for a snip:
Other titles such as Oblivion raise the challenge of opponents as you progress yourself, meaning all areas are accessible so not to limit the player. Gothic 3 goes with a more traditional approach, and one that also delivers a better sense of accomplishment, by limiting your movements until you progress enough. So while not all areas are safely passable, it means you’ve got to earn the skill to get in, pinch what you can and leave with your limbs intact. This to me is an indirect ‘pat-on-the-back’, “you’ve earned the right to explore that cave, so go plunder it already!”
More information.

I'm soo sooo f*ing sick of every f*ing RPG review bringing up that shitty, sickly sweet, disney world of androids that I'm totally on the verge of scratching my eyes out.

That review was a fair one, through reading it you could see that the author has spent quite some time with the game. He also mentioned the load of bugs but didn´t focus on them as much as many others reviewers did.

I agree, we can't avoid the comparisons to Oblivion, but at least that reviewer was fair and basically he enjoyed the game!!

Actually I didn't read it. Why? Because it starts with
" Other titles such as Oblivion...."
And then my head blow up.
I'm sorry. My mouth spoketh before my mind registered.
Nevertheless I won't read it because I'm already playing G3 and my heart is full of wonder and joy, so all these reviewers can say whatever they want, I'm not interested anyway.

so all these reviewers can say whatever they want, I'm not interested anyway.
Except for when they compare each and every game to O.
I'm starting see a review for .... Need for Speed 1000 starting with
"Compared to Oblivion there are too many cars and too little freedom of exploration..."

Honestly, regardless of your opinion on Oblivion, it actually *does* make sense to address it in the Gothic 3 reviews. Certainly moreso than in NWN2 reviews ...

Oblivion was a fun, if simple game. I won't get into the 'was it really an RPG' argument, but as a pleasant way to spend an afternoon, I enjoyed it!!

... and Jeremy Soule's music is always nice ...

Hey Mike, now there's an interesting topic: best music/composer in RPG's!! How would you compare the music in Ob with that of G3 for example!!

Hey Mike, now there's an interesting topic: best music/composer in RPG's!! How would you compare the music in Ob with that of G3 for example!!

I'll have to wait a week or so until I can get G3 here ... but I *love* the stuff they've released. Gothic 2's music has permenant residence on my iPod.

Let's make it a topic in the 'Off Topic' forum. I'll do it tomorrow, I'm falling asleep at the keyboard right now!! :)

I used to like Jeremy Soule's stuff a lot, but it has become increasingly generic and boring. His Oblivion soundtrack was pretty ordinary. I'm not a huge fan of the Gothic 3 soundtrack, compared to 1 and 2. 1 is by far my favorite. The New Camp music and the main theme were awesome.

Speaking of Oblivion, I think that the comparison is fair when you're comparing stuff like graphics and engine performance. I like Gothic 3's gameplay a bit better, but the engine sucks horribly. The rig that ran Oblivion on maxed out settings at a high frame rate shouldn't be chugging at 5 FPS through Gothic 3's 2004-ish graphics.

I admit that O. ran much much better on my machine then G3 does now. :( Hopefully it will be addressed in the patches to some extent.
Also I think it's a personal preference concerning graphics, since the raw, darkish, gritty graphics of G3 (and it's precedessors) are my soft spot. I loved Morrowind btw. Probably that's why I'm so freaking disappointed with O. Also it's undeserved uberness and hyper marketing it receives nowadays.

The music in G1&G2 rocks.

txa1265: you are absolutely right about G3 vs. Oblibion reviews

Back
Top Bottom