|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Divine Divinity Retrospective

Default RPGWatch Feature: Divine Divinity Retrospective

July 25th, 2008, 10:14
Michael "txa1265" J. Anderson continues the irregular series of retrospectives we hope to bring you, this time taking a five-year look back at Divine Divinity. Here's an excerpt:
One of the quirky 'top whatever' lists that appears every now and then is the list of worst names for video games. And somewhere on every one of those lists is Divine Divinity. Yeah, it IS pretty obvious why.

The game would also appear on another list - if some one could figure out how to name it. That list would be 'best deep role playing game that fans of classic RPG's have ignored because it features action-RPG combat and has a very difficult and long dungeon in the beginning.' So you can see I won't be getting a job naming lists anytime soon. Point is, this is a game that many RPG fans tried the demo and felt it was just yet another Diablo Clone and left it behind. Something about the old saying 'you only get one chance to make a first impression' springs to mind.
Read it all here.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

July 25th, 2008, 10:14
I loved it from the bottom of my heart.

Rendelius

Watcher

Send a message via ICQ to Rendelius Send a message via MSN to Rendelius Send a message via Yahoo to Rendelius Send a message via Skype™ to Rendelius

July 25th, 2008, 10:44
I wish there were more games like it.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke

zakhal

VideoGamingWaste

July 25th, 2008, 11:19
Divine Divinity was absolutely great. It had much more in common with games like Baldur's Gate than Diablo, even if the game mechanics and the graphics looks like Diablo. I would add Dungeon Siege II to that list as well.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

July 25th, 2008, 12:22
I must say that I've never really liked DD. I did manage to beat the dungeon but afterwards some guy did me in (IIRC a human guard of some sort and I wasn't even looking for trouble ) and I hadn't saved for a long while (stupid me I know) . Perhaps I should have been more persistent but the dungeon really took out all I had.

stealth

Sentinel

July 25th, 2008, 13:15
Love the game.

If you have only seen the first dungeon part of the game, then you haven't really seen the game at all, IMHO.

Also I think people tend to exaggerate the length of that first dungeon a bit…

KasperFauerby

Sentinel

July 25th, 2008, 13:31
One of the most immersive, beautiful and deep RPG game that I've ever played.

Absolutely recommended.

Glorian

Watchdog

July 25th, 2008, 13:41
I was one of the people who didn't like the demo and didn't buy it for a while. The demo was boring and didn't show off one of the better parts of the game. Once I bought it though, I found it to be one of the better action RPGs of this decade.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

July 25th, 2008, 15:06
I loved DD too, except for the tacked on last act. Outside of that I felt it was very well done and was shocked that Beyond Divinity missed so badly. With Larian basically disappearing after BD, I wonder if the next Divinity game will ever see the light of day. I have a feeling it'll be a local game only if it does get released. Time will tell.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

July 25th, 2008, 15:39
I expect the announcement this GC.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

July 25th, 2008, 15:41
A short while ago, a tv program showed DD2 as a third-person perspective and over the shoulder game. While the graphics wasn't mind-blowingly good, i'm very eager for the game, rumored to be released in 2009!.

Remus

Antihero

July 25th, 2008, 16:04
Originally Posted by Remus View Post
A short while ago, a tv program showed DD2 as a third-person perspective and over the shoulder game. While the graphics wasn't mind-blowingly good, i'm very eager for the game, rumored to be released in 2009!.
I watched this TV programm as well and the graphics actualy seemed pretty good to me.

My first weak impression - Gothic 3 meets Witcher ;-)

Glorian

Watchdog

July 25th, 2008, 18:43
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
With Larian basically disappearing after BD
Not in Belgium, mind you !

They do Ketnetkick !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

July 25th, 2008, 19:00
I am hopeful that DivDiv 2 will be forthcoming … and be good.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 25th, 2008, 19:08
I wonder what's taking BD so long. Their last game was released more than four years ago and they haven't produced anything publicly for about two years. Basically they showed off some screen renders a couple of years ago, and nothing at all since then.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

July 25th, 2008, 19:19
This was one of the best games during one of the worst periods of my life. This and Gothic helped keep me distracted quite well

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

July 25th, 2008, 19:59
Nice look at the game, as always Mike—especially your spot-on analysis of the skills system, which is one of my favorites in the action/rpg-crpg universe. I've never managed to make it past about 80 hours into the game, but every so often i need my DD fix and fire it up just for the experience it gives.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

July 25th, 2008, 20:09
It is possible to skip the starter dungeon and head out into the wilderness, or does the game force you to finish the dungeon first?

I don't recall ever doing this, so either never tried or didn't succeed…

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire,
chase away the hoofed liar.
Roof and doorway, block and beam,
chase the Trickster from our dream.

Stanza

Lighthouse Keeper

July 25th, 2008, 20:34
Originally Posted by Stanza View Post
It is possible to skip the starter dungeon and head out into the wilderness, or does the game force you to finish the dungeon first?
I have never seen a 'dungeon be gone' sort of thing like there is for BG2. But then, it isn't the largest dungeon in the game, so consider it training

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

July 25th, 2008, 21:46
Any recommendations for class choice for a 1-time playthrough? I've had this game sitting on my shelf for several years and have never had the time to get into it. Reading this retrospective has me thinking about starting a game soon. I rarely replay games, and the fact that this one is 100+ hours long means I'll most probably not play it more than once. Any opinions on which class is the most "fun" to play with?

JDR13

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature: Divine Divinity Retrospective